Steam ignored my settings and updated the game

calyps

I have never in my entire life pirated anything. Seriously I'm a freakin' Pollyanna. I really resent being treated like a criminal.

Either have I: I don't know how to. I pay for what I want.

But don't be offended. This is just another case of the minority ruining things for the majority. And they don't care.

This is getting old. No matter what you do, there will always be pirates. But pirates don't ruin anything for anybody, they weren't going to buy the game anyway, so they're not "lost sales". If anything, they're just lame excuse for companies to screw over legitimate customers.

I used to really like the idea of steam and what it did, but having a really low monthly cap on my broadband I could never download anything -_-. But I absolutely despise that a game I bought in the damn store is dependent on something like this - If I don't want to use steam, I shouldn't have to. The funny thing is, all this lame protection that gaming companies use doesn't do jack s*** to stop the pirates, games and even patches are still very easy to download and install. Pirates get the game for free and don't have to deal with any of this bulls***. Edited by ImpactNZ

People pirate for a lot of reasons and some of those people would've bought the game if they didn't have the option to steal.

The problem with DRM is that there hasn't been a single DRM method that wasn't cracked 2 days after release. So it really is primarily a burden on paying customers while being zero-hindrance to pirates. Portal 2 was available hours after release and if any game should have been protected by Steam's DRM system it should have been the latest Valve game.

The big thing DRM schemes like Origin and Steam prevent is resale of used games. I can't offload my copy of FO3 now because it's tied to my account and steam transfers games rarely and never for resale.

I think companies see how little pirating there is of console games and think PCs should have the same kinds of numbers but it's ridiculous. Consoles are extremely limited while PCs are virtually unlimited. Trying to get pirating of singleplayer games on PC down to console levels will never happen. Nature of the beast. A PC gamer can always find a way to fool any DRM scheme. So again, all these DRM methods do is hurt PC game sales as many people with both a PC and a console decide it isn't worth the bulls*** and buy the console version.

That said, I buy my games and I buy them on PC (because of modding).

Still, **** steam for downloading the 1.2 patch against my wishes. **** ****ity **** them.

People pirate for a lot of reasons and some of those people would've bought the game if they didn't have the option to steal.

The problem with DRM is that there hasn't been a single DRM method that wasn't cracked 2 days after release. So it really is primarily a burden on paying customers while being zero-hindrance to pirates. Portal 2 was available hours after release and if any game should have been protected by Steam's DRM system it should have been the latest Valve game.

The big thing DRM schemes like Origin and Steam prevent is resale of used games. I can't offload my copy of FO3 now because it's tied to my account and steam transfers games rarely and never for resale.

I think companies see how little pirating there is of console games and think PCs should have the same kinds of numbers but it's ridiculous. Consoles are extremely limited while PCs are virtually unlimited. Trying to get pirating of singleplayer games on PC down to console levels will never happen. Nature of the beast. A PC gamer can always find a way to fool any DRM scheme. So again, all these DRM methods do is hurt PC game sales as many people with both a PC and a console decide it isn't worth the bulls*** and buy the console version.

That said, I buy my games and I buy them on PC (because of modding).

Still, **** steam for downloading the 1.2 patch against my wishes. **** ****ity **** them.

I agree completely. In fact this is exactly what DRMs do...

1. Cause additional pirating because certain individuals will NOT allow a program as shady as Steam to even EXIST on their PCs.

2. Cause additional pirating because certain individuals will NOT deal with the hoops they have to constantly jump through to play legitimately.

3. Cause certain individuals to avoid purchasing the game purely on principle.

4. Cause other individuals to buy it on console and then resell the game through GameStop OR cause them to rent the game from GameFly.

DRMs don't do anything positive because THEY DO NOT WORK. All they do is create problems for legitimate users.