add custom notes to the map and journal

volnaiskra

I can never for the life of me figure out why this feature is missing from most (all?) RPGs. It should be a standard. In a game as full of exploration and questing as Skyrim, it's easy to lose track of places you want to visit, things you want to do, and information you learn. The default journal and map system are there to help you make sense of it of course, but sometimes you need to make your own notes too. I often end up writing a few things down with paper and pen when playing RPGs, which strikes me as idiotic, since they all have a journal and map system.....if only they let you ADD STUFF TO YOUR OWN DAMN JOURNAL AND MAP. A mod that did this would be great. I imagine it would just be a simple text entry tool that could modify/add journal entries or map entries. If you still don't know why this would be useful, here are some examples of when this might help a player:

-you find a cave with enemies too powerful for you. You sneak out, then add a note on your map: "good loot. trolls. come back with fire spells".

-you read about a secret grove in the South Western part of Skyrim (I made this up) where, legend has it, there is a powerful atronarch guarding a great treasure. You don't know exactly where it might be, and you won't be heading down that way for a long time, so you jot down on the southwestern part of your map "secret grove somewhere around here"

-You come across a particularly gorgeous vista, so you jot it down in your map "take SSAO comparison screenshots here"

-You find a great source of hanging moss in a cave, which is an ingredient for one of your favourite potions, so you make a note on the existing map entry that says "hanging moss in lower chamber"

-After a conversation with an NPC, you learn that if you want to meet a master alchemist you should speak to Joe Bloggs from Markhal. A minor quest automatically starts in your journal, which says "speak to Joe Bloggs in Markhal". You know it'll be days before you get to Markhal, and by then you won't know who the hell Joe Bloggs is or why you'd want to speak with him. So, you modify that quest entry to say "speak to Joe Bloggs in Markhal for alchemy info".

...you get the picture.