Need Help Getting Quake Mods Installed

pitip

I got some mods for the Quake, but I seem to be having trouble installing them. I understand that you have to make a directory for the mod you're installing in the main Quake directory, but then you have to use command prompt or DOSbox to start it up, and that's the part I'm having trouble with. The problem I'm having is I follow the instructions and it almost seems to start up, but then it thinks that the copy I have is the shareware version and says you can't play a modified version of Quake on the shareware version. This is my first time getting mods for Quake, so I'm not as familiar with the process of installation. I don't use the Darkplaces engine, I don't have the steam copy of Ultimate Quake, I just have the Ultimate Quake version of quake on CD that I got about 10 years ago at a thrift store. I'm playing Quake on a windows XP computer. If you're familiar with installing older Quake mods I would really appreciate it if you could give me a list of detailed instructions on how to install these mods on a non steam copy of regular Ultimate Quake.

First thing I would do is try running it without any mods present. Make sure that it actually is a full version of the game. The shareware only allowed access to one area from the initial hub with the other areas blocked off. The full version however allowed you to start in any episode (if I remember correctly) but would not unlock the last portion until you cleared the others and obtained the runes. It is possible that the version you have either isn't the full version, or that it was not "installed" correctly to register itself as a full version of the game.

As for mods, sadly my experience on that end is very limited since the only mods I used were ones which were related to servers (on Gamespy, or some other game matching service who's name escapes me (had little info cards in the shape of a buzzsaw that were packaged with some games)), or were things that were initiated by using the ingame console. Unfortunately it's getting on almost 20 years since then, so memory is not that good.

I managed to install the mods for quake that I downloaded, I'll just put some instructions if anyone is curious.

First, get a copy of DOSbox and download the mod that you wish to use. Make sure your Quake game is installed under whatever directory it is that you use. To make it easier, make sure the Quake file is just in it, not under the program files or anything. For the purposes of these instructions it is assumed that you just have a cd non-steam fully registered copy of Quake that is unmodded, and we will be using the C: drive as a example.

Now if you do not have Quake installed, install it. Set the install directory to C:\Quake. This is just to make it easier to mount the drive in DOSbox. After Quake has successfully installed and can work properly, install the mod by making a sub-directory in the Quake folder and extracting all the mod files into it. Name the file whatever you want. Open up DOSbox and mount the C: drive by typing in mount c C:\Quake you can also enter in the command intro mount to get a tutorial on mounting drives into DOSbox. After you mount drive C: type C: into the command line and it will take you to the drive you mounted. Optionally you can type the command dir to show the contents of the drive and folder you mounted to check if everything is in order. Once in the drive type quake.exe -game (your mod file) then press enter. It will start Quake with your mod installed and working! Yay!

When installing these mods you should always make sure to read the readme or any other documentation that comes along with it so you know how the mod works. This tutorial or whatever you will call it is more geared to single player mods that make alot of changes, for example mods like fantasy vs future quake or duke nukem quake. I hope this helps some people since I had trouble finding clear information on how to easily install these mods.