How to load a custom BSA file in Skyrim?

messiahgov

I hope someone can help here. Equal what I try (even some ini commands from FO3 and FNV), my packed BSA file, with mod Textures, Music, Sound and Meshes folders and all the files inside (packed with BSA Creator from FOMM for FNV) won't load at all. I placed my custom BSA in the Data folder and it's not over 2 GB (medium compressed). Edited by messiahgov

I'm having the same problem. I've recompressed my custom textures merged with the original textures file from the original BSA and the game simply won't load it. i've tried using FOMMs bsa packer as well as BSAopt with different compression. Anyone whose packed a successful bsa or knows what the problem is please respond.

The is no selection option in the Launcher Data Files for BSA files. I tried to add my BSA file to the Skyrim.ini & SkyrimPrefs.ini (under "[Archive]"). Didn't worked so far. But I can select ESP files, so thats not the problem I think. But right by typing this, maybe a ESP/ESM is needed to recognize the BSA file?

This is the archive section of Skyrim.ini:

[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

I've tried moving Skyrim - Textures.bsa to another physical HD, I have 3, and no luck.

Maybe they are linked to the ESM file.

I also upacked the textures.bsa, packed again without compression, and no luck.

Edited by Xtudo

There's no need to repack replacer textures. Simply place them in the folder they belong in, inside of your \Data\ directory.

Ex.:

Daedric Dagger

\Data\textures\weapons\daedric\dagger.nif

If you aren't sure where the game looks for that particular replacer (most mods you download come with the correct file paths) you can find out by browsing the .bsa with any .bsa browsing/unpacking tool (BSAOpt, or BSA Browser for Vista/7 or FO3Archive for XP)

The normal method is to create a (blank) ESM or ESP with the same name as the BSA archive and load that plugin. The BSA name can be longer than the name of the plugin, so all of the "Skyrim - _________.BSA" archives are loaded by Skyrim.ESM even without sResourceArchiveList.

Try removing all the records from one of the plugins from a Skyrim mod with TESSnip and renaming it to match your BSA.

There's no need to repack replacer textures. Simply place them in the folder they belong in, inside of your \Data\ directory.

Ex.:

Daedric Dagger

\Data\textures\weapons\daedric\dagger.nif

If you aren't sure where the game looks for that particular replacer (most mods you download come with the correct file paths) you can find out by browsing the .bsa with any .bsa browsing/unpacking tool (BSAOpt, or BSA Browser for Vista/7 or FO3Archive for XP)

Yeah there is no directory beyond data, only the BSA files, and no program I can find lets me edit them, I simply created a textures file and that didn't work, I modded oblivion easily enough but have to say skyrim has the better of me.