How to load a custom BSA file in Skyrim?

messiahgov

There's no need to repack replacer textures. Simply place them in the folder they belong in, inside of your \Data\ directory.

Ex.:

Daedric Dagger

\Data\textures\weapons\daedric\dagger.nif

If you aren't sure where the game looks for that particular replacer (most mods you download come with the correct file paths) you can find out by browsing the .bsa with any .bsa browsing/unpacking tool (BSAOpt, or BSA Browser for Vista/7 or FO3Archive for XP)

Yeah there is no directory beyond data, only the BSA files, and no program I can find lets me edit them, I simply created a textures file and that didn't work, I modded oblivion easily enough but have to say skyrim has the better of me.

Creating a textures folder, and the correct subfolders, for the item you're replacing the texture of does work... Just like in Oblivion. Has it been that long for you?

If it doesn't work either, you messed up the file names, Windows UAC is having fun with it's system (not yours, it's), or you're the first case of Archive Invalidation required for texture replacers I've seen post here so far.

I totally know how to mod Skyrim, but I want to mod it with a giant (under 2 GB) BSA file, which contains all the files from 60+ mods. Maybe I make 2 or 3 BSA files for different things like "Textures general", "Textures Animals & Monster" etc.

Right now, the only user who understand what I asked for was "luthienanarion". The only helpful answer came from him. Thank you, I will try this and I know what you explained. Sounds logic and I hope it works. ;)

Edited by messiahgov

• 2 months later...

I am having the same trouble. I can make a BSA and Skyrim appears to detect it but can't read it properly, since everything comes out as red exclamation points. Has anyone made a custom BSA for Skyrim yet?

I wanna do exactly the same, don't trust workshop yet and loose files is chaos...

With the CK came an utility, namely Archive.exe, with it you can pack proper BSA for skyrim..

When the above really is true(esps link with BSA) , then probably it'll work out!

If still interested, i posted this elsewhere already, in short:

STEP1:

2. Collect all your precious textures in a clean folder
  3. Be sure to have "data" as first folder in there (Example: MyMod/data/textures/etc/
  4. Start "Archive.exe" in the Skyrim basedir
  5. Check "Retain Directory Names", "Retain File Names" and "Embed File Names" (just in case)
  6. Then "Edit"->"Add directory"->Navigate to your "data"-folder you just put your files in and choose it
  7. Then "Edit"->"Check All Items"
  8. Tick the appropriate checkboxes depending of the files you inserted (Textures, Meshes, etc.)
  9. Then "File"->"Save as"->choose a name and save in Skyrims "Data"-folder
  10. You now have an .bsa that Skyrim can use

STEP2:

2. Start the CK
  3. Open Skyrim.esm
  4. Do nothing at all and save an .esp with exactly the same name as your previously created .bsa
  5. Now you have a linked .esp/.bsa combi which will override the HighRes DLC

If still interested, i posted this elsewhere already, in short:

STEP1:

2. Collect all your precious textures in a clean folder
  3. Be sure to have "data" as first folder in there (Example: MyMod/data/textures/etc/
  4. Start "Archive.exe" in the Skyrim basedir
  5. Check "Retain Directory Names", "Retain File Names" and "Embed File Names" (just in case)
  6. Then "Edit"->"Add directory"->Navigate to your "data"-folder you just put your files in and choose it
  7. Then "Edit"->"Check All Items"
  8. Tick the appropriate checkboxes depending of the files you inserted (Textures, Meshes, etc.)
  9. Then "File"->"Save as"->choose a name and save in Skyrims "Data"-folder
  10. You now have an .bsa that Skyrim can use

STEP2:

2. Start the CK
  3. Open Skyrim.esm
  4. Do nothing at all and save an .esp with exactly the same name as your previously created .bsa
  5. Now you have a linked .esp/.bsa combi which will override the HighRes DLC

I followed your steps to the letter and it didn't work for me :(

i just cant get my BSA to load.

Edited by Paradox4624

• 2 weeks later...

Ignore all the nonsense where people tell you 'oh it works just like Oblivion/F3' because it does not. They are assuming that the tools you are using will work. Which means that they have not carried this out and are spouting theory as if it were experience. If, like me, you expected the FNV tools that unpacked your BSA to also create your BSAs then I believe]/u] is the mistake they are making too. I could not get them to work, and I have been packing BSAs for many games now. So I moved on to searching for help which brought me straight here, and reminded me that Beth finally stopped withholding the CK (been far to busy to try it yet).

I did not have to check any of the other boxes except the type of file that I was packing (e.g. Textures), so nothing on the right checklist about saving paths, etc. Now instead of just getting BSA files I also got BSL files that seem to only contain the directory structure of the files I packed (could be due to my checking the Textures box). My game works fine without them, so I would suggest just testing the BSAs you make without any extra files.

EDIT - Wow it amazes me that Beth can release games with tools like this! I have edited the above but I had though you did not need the data portion of the folder structure since you manually have to target the Archiver on the categorical folder (e.g. Textures) and since it has that bloody Root Dir area saying it is going to slap a Data/ in front for you. So basically you need the full structure (data/<category of mod here>) but when choosing EDIT -> Add Directory from the Archiver program, you need to target the <category> level to get the BSA to work.

To test your archive to see if you did it right, just open the BSA and make sure that the path of the files does not include your system in any way (e.g. c:\users\Beth\desktop\blah blah\textures\armor\etc.). If you see that (with c:\) then you did not have your category folder inside a Data folder or choose the Data folder to build your BSA out of. Delete the BSA you just made (and extra files) and try again.

Since I am replacing all the original textures in the game, I did not want extra ESP/ESM files. I added mine to the Archive lists in the INIs, and my textures are loading without the ESP/ESM. Since I removed all the Vanilla textures (both the BSA and all loose files), my game is forced to run my textures. When the BSAs were not working I get all purple wrapped on the Meshes.

Purple objects = missing textures, Triangle exclamation points = missing meshes (which inform you the BSA is not working).

For most of you the ESM/ESP route will be necessary to override the so-called official 'HiRes textures', since your ESM/ESP will override Beth's. They will also (likely) be necessary if you want to build a BSA with more than one category of asset (e.g. textures and meshes in the same BSA).

One last thing - As in previous BSA games, if you are replacing all the assets in a category with your own BSAs remember to follow these two rules:

1) Do not go over 2GB per BSA (1.8 if using compression - not sure if that bug is still part of the engine but it probably is)

2) If you need to use more than one BSA, then the folders must be alphabetically packed (so A-D in BSA 1, E-Kg in BSA 2, and Kh-Z in BSA 3). You can bypass this with the ESM/ESP route, but by following this the game does not need to check those extra files (and less is usually better - as there is less chance to make mistakes).

If it does not work for you, PM me and I can help you through the process.

Happy Modding,

4Aces

Edited by KMA