Magic Effects and Water

SavageJedi

Did a search but didnt come up with anything, maybe just didnt use proper keywords.

Frostbite creating a bridge across the water? Sparks electrocuting an idiot necromancer standing ankle deep in it? Not possible in stock Skyrim? FUUUUU

Thats basically how I felt when I rerolled a mage. I figured these things for given features! I'll say this right now I dont truly expect anyone to create a mod like this without the mod tools from Bethesda, but I'd like to plant this seed in the great minds and artists now to see it come to full fruition ASAP when the tools do hit.

I'm just seeing a single cast Frostbite creating little ice islands while a dual-cast Frostbite can create a bridge and possibly freeze (shout freeze effect? Paralyze? Something else?) anyone silly enough to be standing in water, immobilizing them or if dual casting, freeze them wholly. Perhaps even being able to ice over a swimming fool and drown them. Casting Frostbite under water causing small Ice Spikes for weaker damage and very short range. Endless possibilities! And of course the Adept and higher spells causing different and/or stronger effects altogether. Havent gotten far enough on my mage to see what they are exactly. Frost rune could entomb a fool in a tiny iceberg and freeze them to death that'd be neat.

Sparks electrocuting a small maybe 3 meter area of water for similar damage, Lightning bolt doing a larger area but for slightly higher damage to someone silly enough to be standing, wading, or swimming in water while you're around... Surely I've sparked some imaginative interest in this.

Fire could bring a small area of water to a quick boil (I'm guessing this might be difficult to make happen even with the construction set), possibly make an alteration spell that turns water to oil that could be ignited like normal?

Or even a dual-cast of differing school spells like Telekinesis and Frostbite to lift water and turn it all into little shards that fall back down.

I could really go on this all night but I'm sure the illustrious modders can think of even better uses, hopefully I've piqued the interest in such a heavy modification. As I've said I know this is somewhat beyond the scope of abilities currently but when the mod tools do come out, well we are the PC master race after all. Some of the player-created spells in Oblivion were magnificent, lets try and top it this time around with Skyrim! When the tools get released anyway...

Thanks for your time :)

Savage

This sounds awesome. Or like dualcast fire and frost together to create that steam shot that centurions do? :D

When the creation kit comes out I'll gladly help with this, though I'm not as skilled as I used to be with coding.

Edited by Emmarae

I love this idea. In fact, I absolutely require it.

You know how in the tutorial, there's this patch of oil underneath the Legion/Stormcloak soldiers that you can set on fire?

When I saw that, I was thinking "Hopy s***! You can actually effect the environment like Bioshock! Awesome!"

But NOPE. Shoot a frost or shock spell at water, and it does NOTHING. I'm not asking for like, every tree you hit with fire to burn down (Although that would be cool), but I am asking for the fireball you cast to NOT go through the water like it just flew through a cloud or something.

Here's what I'm thinking: Fire spells should boil water as soon as they hit, dealing damage to anything near the surface, possibly tiring enemies, and dealing stamina damage.. If it's a huge spell like Fireball or Firestorm, then the water should explode a bit.

Frost spells should freeze the water, and anything in it. If you hit a deer swimming in the water with Frostbite, he'd freeze and sink to the bottom like as if you had hit him with the Ice Form Shout. Also, you can walk on frozen water, making Frost spells double as waterwalking.

Lightning spells, as normal, SHOULD FREAKING ELECTRICALLY CHARGE THE WATER! Not entire rivers, mind you, but if it's a tiny pool of water, it should charge up like it's an oil patch. Anything that's in the water takes health and magicka damage, and becomes stunned.

EDIT: Oh man OP, you're getting into some Waterbender type s***. Although, using rain as a tactical advantage would be cool too. Like, the first spells; Frostbite, Sparks, and Flames, they should all become more powerful in the rain.

Flames would turn the rain into steam, letting you blast your enemies like you're a Centurion.

Sparks would essentially turn into a spray chain-lightning spell, jumping from each rain-drop to hit your enemies, essentially extending it's reach and damage.

Frostbite would turn the rain into tiny ice-shards, and send them at the enemy.

Edited by IxionInc

Exactly the kinds of things I was hoping to inspire. Oddly enough, setting the environment on fire didnt occur to me beyond the oil slick spell I mentioned but I like the idea of burning a tree or two.

It really does just feel like so much more could have and should have been done. Hopefully come January a few of these wont take too long to write up and have coming.

• 4 months later...