workaround for my personal CTD

n0rix

my System: AMD XP 6000, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 8800 GT, Win 7 x32

My crash symtoms are:

graphic artefacts after a couple of seconds into the gameplay (texture glitches, 'weird' lines, ect.) followed by the monitor going to black for a couple of seconds. This happens a couple of times until the game eventually CTD after some minutes.

The black screen during gameplay indicates, that the graphics driver stopped working and is restarted.

After some time of trying all sorts of tweaks and tools (low settings, game booster, laa-tool, ...) the ONLY thing that really worked for me is following:

Before starting the game i have to reinstall the graphics driver (i'm currently using the 290.36 beta). I'm not using the 'complete reinstall' option and also choose to install the 3D vision drivers although i don't need them - with this options the driver setup does not force my PC to restart. After that i can play Skyrim without any problems until i restart my PC. Skyrim is also playable if i restart the game or start the game at a later point.

Why does this work? I have no friggin' idea...

I have to agree, this is not the best solution - but i can spare that 2 minutes time which is required by the driver setup. One can do some pushups, grab some cookies or feed the cat before hitting the game.

perhaps this may help others with similar problems.

You should probably run a driver cleaner to remove the remnants of your previous drivers,

Driver reinstall guide - http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555

It sounds like its either that or another system driver or process conflicting with your display driver.

You can check if something is interfering with it by starting your computer in safemode and running Skyrim like that to see if the same glitches occur.

I gave it a shot - but as i expected, it didn't help. I already had problems with F3NV - must be some unique issue with my system. After all kinds of research and tweaking I have given up hope that Skyrim will ever run without problems - except the guys at bethesda are struck by some kind of divine intervention ... but i doubt that.

Thanks for the advice tough ;)