Anyone for a trip to mars?

devinpatterson

So all of which begs the question is it something you need for a plot device? Because there is a lot more leniency if you'v got a kick butt story that depends on that set up. Or is it just back story/history?

I had less of a single storyline in mind with it than the fact that it seems to be the way almost everything is run in FO even government institutions have corporate sponsorship. Along with the fact that FO corps also seem to ignore profit allot of the time in pursuit of the obsessions of their CEO or one upping their corporate rivals (RobCo's obsessively trying to ruin H&H Tools and the rivalry that RobCo and H&H had with General Atomics with it's sabotage, corporate espionage and price wars).

However it opens up all kinds of options for storylines if done, including a deliberate sabotage of one or more facilities lab or safety devices as corporate espionage in the past being exploitable by the thorough reader of notes/seeker of backstory that finds out about it. Or recovering some vital piece of research/prototype/component that was stolen by a rival companies employee to halt or slow research so that their company will develop whatever they are both trying to work on first.

Actually that just gave me an awesome quest idea: In the course of the main questline (or just during exploring the bio-engineered creature labs) the Courier discovers that a very important theft was commited before everything hit the fan, the only successful version of a tailored pacification virus that will cause any of the bioweapon creatures to be friendly to the ones infected with it!(note this holds only for designed creatures here on Mars not the FEV critters) Meant as the ultimate security system, it would have been given only to those authorized to enter bioweapon patrolled areas or meant to work with them. It's ultimate aim being a horrible surprise for any attempted spies or infiltrators to any high security areas which would, unlike turrets, be unaffected by poweroutages or emp strikes. The clues within the labs eventually leading deep into the FEV facility sublevels, where the most horrible and dangerous specimens were kept. Recovering this virus would mean being able to ensure the safety of the survivors and not incidentally the Courier, from the bio-engineered creatures (like animal friendship but for whatever faction the bio-engineered critters are given). By no means a total solution to their problems but protection from the nasty non-FEV beasts. This could allow for a follow-up quest if we do have the scraptown or vaultcity (or both), gathering the eggs/capturing live animals of some of the bio-engineered beasts so that they may be used as guard dogs by the settlement adding a layer of protection from the other dangers. (the image of some kid with a pet baby deathclaw the size of a geko following them as the run around the town won't leave my head now *chuckles*)

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had less of a single storyline in mind with it than the fact that it seems to be the way almost everything is run in FO even government institutions have corporate sponsorship.

No they really don't. What your talking about, with the library for instance, is a corp (which has a lot more money than a local library) sponsoring them in return for something (advertising for instance), its capitalism. You don't see any corporation sponsoring the the federal gov, because #1 the fed gov is much larger & # 2 it has much more money. This is especially true of military contracts. Corps make money off of military contracts not the other way around. If you get a chance read up on OWB's history with the federal gov.

Honestly I'd love to see a corp sponsoring a large federal military contract because that would be a very unusual situation indeed, I'd be very curious how it could have come about. But I don't think you'll find any evidence of even a single occurrence in our world or fallouts. And if that's the case, how much less likely would it be in a very, very expensive project like the one we're discussing.

Along with the fact that FO corps also seem to ignore profit allot of the time in pursuit of the obsessions of their CEO or one upping their corporate rivals (RobCo's obsessively trying to ruin H&H Tools and the rivalry that RobCo and H&H had with General Atomics with it's sabotage, corporate espionage and price wars).

House was robbed of his inheritance (H&H tools) by his younger brother, it was the reason he was obsessed with destroying him. Logically if the corps ignored profit allot of the time, they simply wouldn't be as big as they are. Money is their source of power, without it a corps influence is decreased drastically. Sabotage, espionage etc are all parts of the corporate worlds attempt to one up each other, it's part of corporate culture (amplified in FO).

However it opens up all kinds of options for storylines if done, including a deliberate sabotage of one or more facilities lab or safety devices as corporate espionage

No that's normal fallout behavior it will be in the story line regardless of who foots the bill for the mars mission.

For the sake of time (which for me is ridiculously scarce as of late) I'm going to move past the idea of corporate sponsorship of the mars project. I'd rather spend time creating resources on the mod, but if you do come up with a awesome plot that requires it let me know and we can revisit the story line.

Actually that just gave me an awesome quest idea: In the course of the main questline (or just during exploring the bio-engineered creature labs) the Courier discovers that a very important theft was commited before everything hit the fan, the only successful version of a tailored pacification virus that will cause any of the bioweapon creatures to be friendly to the ones infected with it!(note this holds only for designed creatures here on Mars not the FEV critters)

It is a very interesting idea, but honestly I don't want the scientists to have that kind of knowledge. It kicks our plot line in the nuts twice. The first is that the martians wouldn't have had the trouble they did if they had a way to pacify their FEV virus, and it would be hard to imagine that humans could create it but aliens which are much more advanced couldn't. The 2nd is very much the same reason, we don't want the mars staff to have a way to nullify the FEV threat or pacify it. It's a horror that shows man the folly of playing god. If they had a way of pacifying them, it would call into question the catastrophe caused by the monstrosities when everything wen't to hell in a handbasket. At least that's my opinion.

Now if you want to go with they were researching/prototyping such a virus, when the S hit the fan it would be more believable (although still crimps the plot line, especially the aliens), But I'd still wouldn't reccommend it since it's essentially a way to short circuit the very idea that our plot line relies heavily upon. You have to make sure it is unique or so limited that it couldn't have affected the stories outcome (in re: to the FEV monstrosities). Maybe only one sample (or limited samples) works among the many, many they synthesized and there wasn't time to synthesize more with the base descending into chaos, so the scientists couldn't exploit it to save everyone.

In addition I don't want the player to be able to avoid the FEV faction as they are a major part of your mod. So if you do want the pacification virus it'd be essential to make it of limited duration. Say for the escape from the FEV facility, after which the factions return to normal.

That being said, I don't want to thread crap your idea or give you the impression I don't like it, just saying it's problematic in re: to the story line unless we implement the ideas above.

On a slightly different note, (and admittedly this pretty far out there), what do you guys think about the bio-weapons division (with help from FEV) working on something similar to plasmids from bioshock? Actual genetically engineered cells or symbiotic micro organisms (mitrochondria, bacteria etc) that give effects not just similar to fallout implants, but that could have offensive/defesnive powers. Say something akin to the cells in a electric eel allowing basic electrical bolts. Too much? If we even consider it, we should probably go with it being just for hte project (assume they are unstable and have a limited life or that your bodies immune cells kill them over time).

Pet baby deathclaw :teehee:

Hell. Yes.

Yeah we can throw in a pet baby deathclaw or a nightstalker canine(reptile) companion. The bio weapons division would have them and they could be designed/trained to be commanded by humans. Maybe some of the originals are in cryo (the descendants probably won't work nearly as well with humans).

Edited by devinpatterson

Yeah we can throw in a pet baby deathclaw or a nightstalker canine(reptile) companion. The bio weapons division would have them and they could be designed/trained to be commanded by humans. Maybe some of the originals are in cryo (the descendants probably won't work nearly as well with humans).

The thought of the crazy-brain duo and a freaky, Resident Evil lab with predator-ish test-tube-baby deathclaws just makes me giggle. :devil:

Well like I bracketed I meant specifically the bio-engineered critters not the FEV monstrosities the ones that were meant for the terraforming project, creatures designed to thrive in the environment and serve as watchdogs such as deathclaws and other tailormade critters such as cazadores. Edited by greenknightfury

Well like I bracketed I meant specifically the bio-engineered critters not the FEV monstrosities the ones that were meant for the terraforming project, creatures designed to thrive in the environment and serve as watchdogs such as deathclaws and other tailormade critters such as cazadores.

Good deal, specifically Bio-enineered creatures are a lot less problematic to the story line (and easier to scientifically explain as well) :thumbsup:

But if that's the case I'd recommend the sample be deep in the bio weapons division as opposed to the FEV facility. And it might make sense to make the effect for just that quest or a limited duration since the bio weapons division has a lot of critters and I'd hate to see them all taken off teh table (so to speak) at once and permanently.

EDIT: and/or make species specific ones so that a sample might affect just deathclaws or just nightstalkers (as well as a time/duration). Just hate to work on expanding deathclaws, cazadores etc with all kinds of cool abilities and sub-variations then have their status as enemies completely erased en mass.

Edited by devinpatterson

Good deal, specifically Bio-enineered creatures are a lot less problematic to the story line (and easier to scientifically explain as well) :thumbsup:

But if that's the case I'd recommend the sample be deep in the bio weapons division as opposed to the FEV facility. And it might make sense to make the effect for just that quest or a limited duration since the bio weapons division has a lot of critters and I'd hate to see them all taken off teh table (so to speak) at once and permanently.

EDIT: and/or make species specific ones so that a sample might affect just deathclaws or just nightstalkers (as well as a time/duration). Just hate to work on expanding deathclaws, cazadores etc with all kinds of cool abilities and sub-variations then have their status as enemies completely erased en mass.

Hmm making it species specific is probably the best solution there I'd think. *grins* And even adds some depth and choice to the idea:

The equipment deep within the facility has been set up to produce the serum and it can be made for any of the creatures, however there is only enough materials for you to produce just enough for yourself and the scraptowners for one type of creature.(it only produces it in batches) Perhaps as a reward for the helping them with this quest and the one of gathering up some young/eggs of the type you get the freindly serum for you get one of the synthetic meat tanks, a placeable or carry one that produces say 1-2 pieces of meat every say 2 days.

Edited by greenknightfury

So some random stuff. What do you guys think about the plasmids? Way out of bounds?

I learned from a podcast that mars may have an aurora (similar to our aurora borealis). Now that would add some really interesting color to teh sky when there isn't a storm.

It makes a huge difference when a ship/probe etc is launched in the year. I knew that from the rovers almost missing a launch window. But it could be used by us to limit travel if we want.

Solar flares are apparently something that can scramble electronics (bots, computers, etc) on mars as well. Guess it has to do with it's weaker magnetic field. Seems like it would make sense in view of a plot mechanic.

In the settlement, I'm guessing that justice can be rather unforgiveing and in addition entertainment can be somewhat scarce. I was thinking those sentenced to die might have a running man type theme. The courier often has the worst of it so.......

Plus honestly the whole running man theme should be a theme you'd see in the wasteland, what with the drug fed mindless violence and natural affinity for sport etc. Might make a decent stand alone mod.

Perhaps as a reward for the helping them with this quest and the one of gathering up some young/eggs of the type you get the freindly serum for you get one of the synthetic meat tanks, a placeable or carry one that produces say 1-2 pieces of meat every say 2 days.

Yeah I think we could whip up a model with a glass dome with some biogel in it. Maybe steal it from a robobrain. Put a chunk of meat in there.

Edited by devinpatterson