Can my GIS Skills be Useful

droscoe2

We are all waiting on the CS to be released. There is one mod I intend to do and I also would like to discuss a new possibility with all of you.

I am a GIS (Geographical Information Systems) major and have access to some great software, ArcMap. I would like to bring my ArcMap skills into the modding scene and maybe contribute some kind of map-oriented information. I can do several things once the CS is released. A few:

- Viewshed analysis - maybe useful for modders? I can determine what surfaces/locations are visible from a given set of viewer information, such as position, elevation, etc

- Statistical analysis - I'll probably create some form of information database for my own uses as this is most likely the most useful aspect of what I can do. Based on user-desired criteria, I can create a reprojected map of Skyrim. Some examples of possibilities:

- NPC Demographics: race, gender, friendly, enemy, class, etc

- Item statistics: Ingredient locations, item densities within exterior cells (how many Nirnroots are X exterior cell? or region?).

- Record/Compare - Useful over time I imagine, I can project the results of recorded data (reported bugs, misplaced items, encounters, etc) on a map of Skyrim. Some possible uses:

- If the community were on board, bugs could be reported by exterior cell. Any reoccurring incidents can be recorded and used to discover any correlations/patterns.

- For a modders sake, maybe for an overhaul or balance mod, I can use reported events (where you die, where you found this, where dragons showed up, etc) to find any correlations between them

- Great Possibility: A great way to illustrate the 'before' and 'after' of a Landscape/Item/Structure mod. Take Unique Landscapes for Oblivion for example. I should be able to project the Vanilla map of Cyrodil with out the mod, and re-project it with the mod and a 'prospective downloader' or user can see what the mod really adds to the world. Made a bigger city? Added forests, tundras, mountains? Create a new town? I can show it all in a re-projected map of Skyrim to show people just how much it adds. (Obviously probably more useful for MAJOR mods like Unique Landscapes, but yea you know)

For a broader example, comparing reports of precipitation, temperature, elevation, and malaria rates, one can determine particular correlations when re-projecting the data of South America. Now yes, we all know that mosquitoes are the culprit and like humid areas. The point is, could my skills be useful for the community? What if we could discover some unfavorable correlations between 'NPC interactions' and say, 'game crashes'? Or something as simple as creating a useful map of item locations per cell, NPC demographics, certain encounters or events, etc. (Show concentrations of ingredients, items, or NPCs per cell for example)

Would this be useful for a player or modder and would you want something like this?

What type of things would you like to see? (in terms of spatial analysis/map data)

droscoe

Edited by droscoe2

A 3d map of Skyrim would be cool if we could view it outside of the game. Especially if you could annotate it with useful info (places, quest givers, item locations, nirnroot, etc)

It might also be helpful to keep track of what mods that modify the worldspace. Could you also do this for areas outside of Skyrim?

That Oblivion map is definitely cool. I've seen that, and would like that to be a part of what I want to do, but have much more.

http://images.uesp.net/thumb/1/18/OB-Map-MotherwortSprig.jpg/500px-OB-Map-MotherwortSprig.jpg

The above picture is of the ingredient location density in various exterior cells, if this would be made to be used both outside and inside the game itself, I think it would be very useful. What do you think?

That Oblivion map is definitely cool. I've seen that, and would like that to be a part of what I want to do, but have much more.

http://images.uesp.net/thumb/1/18/OB-Map-MotherwortSprig.jpg/500px-OB-Map-MotherwortSprig.jpg

The above picture is of the ingredient location density in various exterior cells, if this would be made to be used both outside and inside the game itself, I think it would be very useful. What do you think?

That as part of an alchemy module would definitely be useful. I'd imagine a Google Maps like interface but with selectable filters on the side. Or better, select an effect (i.e Restore Health) and the map shows the place to go for the most efficient collection of the 2 ingredients needed for that effect.

Other things:

- Heat map showing average spawn density and spawn lvls

- Heat map with a probability distribution of where NPC most likely tend to be in cities (I'd imagine that this will be more challenging). Would be used to make decisions whether a player house is in a populated area, or "out of the way"

- Quest markers. Again, good for house placement to avoid messing up existing quests. Knowing where to safely put down new architecture is probably one of the most important features.

- A contour map for the entire Skyrim worldspace? Would be interesting, just for kicks.

How do you plan to actually process this data? Raw data dump from all the CELL records, then process? I'd imagine that works for flora and stuff that doesn't move around too much, but what about creatures and quests?

Edited by jimhsu

Awesome suggestions. I've been looking at Interactive Map software. I've never done anything like this before. It IS possible to import/mod in a Flash program to be used within the game correct?

I'm sure people would appreciate all of this out of the game, but it would be super useful while playing.

Again, awesome suggestions

- Item locations

- Item densities

- NPC populations

- NPC demographics

- Locations

- Terrain types

- Search functions

All interests of mine.

EDIT: Yea, flora and static ingredients would be relatively simple. NPCs, creatures, etc might have to only be recorded/reported in the cell they spawn in. I'm not sure how quests would be handled...not sure how any of it will be handled but I believe I can do it.

Edited by droscoe2

Awesome suggestions. I've been looking at Interactive Map software. I've never done anything like this before. It IS possible to import/mod in a Flash program to be used within the game correct?

I'm sure people would appreciate all of this out of the game, but it would be super useful while playing.

Again, awesome suggestions

- Item locations

- Item densities

- NPC populations

- NPC demographics

- Locations

- Terrain types

- Search functions

All interests of mine.

You could possibly take a look at this. Will want some web hosting though.

http://www.maplib.net/

Perhaps you could ask Dave Humphrey, the UESP site administrator? http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daveh

What about custom annotations in-game or automatic ones for important things.

Like adding your own notes on the Skyrim world map (as a separate option when placing your marker, for instance) or notating where fences are for the Thieves' Guild questline (the game has no worthwhile method to keep track of your fences if you, for instance, step away from the game for a week or two and can't remember who you can sell stolen goods to without traveling to Podunk Riften).

Might that be a worthwhile goal for you? =P