Horses. What's the point?

MrMiggins

Why are you guys dismounting your horses RIGHT NEXT to the enemies? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Get off the horse a ways down the road, run up road, kill, run back down. It's not the horses fault.

And yes, they need individual stats, they need their jump fixed, they need their prices raised based on stats, and they need mounted combat

Yeah! :laugh: ...especially with wolfs and bears who outrun anything...lol even in werewolf form a farmer runs faster then me.

Edited by pavy

I guess it's a play style thing, but I find horses indispensable. The key reason for this, is of course the fact that I do not use fast travel, at all. Furthermore, I avoid running. It really rubs me the wrong way, to have my character run all the time everywhere. And since the walking animation is just insanely slow, I use horses. As an added benefit, they are really good climbers and can get me to places I couldn't go otherwise.

And while they cannot carry stuff as such, they do not care about how much you are carrying. You can have encumbrance of 10000 and the horses don't care at all. It helps me to retain immersion, when lugging a heavy haul of loot from a dungeon, if I have my trusty steed to help carry all the junk.

But, yeah - all the horses in Skyrim are psychotic and go into a killing frenzy at the drop of a hat. They also have random moments of utter cowardice and disappear into the woods without any real reason. Or sometimes they jump down from mountains, plummeting thousands of feet to their death, apparently just for kicks. And for some crazy reason, NPC's feel that the horse is a far greater threat than the guy in the heavy armor wielding a really big axe.

All in all, handling horses in Skyrim can be really frustrating, but I still like to have them around. And I really like their animations (the idle animations that is, their trot and gallop look bit awkward to me), they seem to give the horses tons of character.

I didnt mention......... if you happen to be overweighted and unable to run you can use your horse for fast travel :)

That is worth the investment right there. Can't recall the number of times my obsessive hoarding habits (read: sheer greed) has had me slowly pacing my way out of dungeon carrying enough junk to crack the chassis of an F250 pickup truck and going "Crap, I gotta walk all the way back to town like this? Oh wait, I've got a HORSE! Yay!"