Dude, where's my respect?

ZenMonkey47

Ok, in Oblivion I got it. You're just some (incredibly skilled) shmuck who gets caught up in events. However, in Skyrim, I'm the divinesdamnned Dovahkiin! The last time there was a dragonborn, he conquered the known world and became a god. Why is it that nobody seems terribly impressed at this? Where are the priests of Talos proclaiming that I'm the second coming? Where's my Thalmor dossier saying I'm a major threat to the dominion, and should be dealt with immediately lest I get the idea to take up the mantle of emperor? Where are the rulers trying to gain my favor in order to use my name to their own political ends?

The Imperials treat you like the common rank and file.

Ulfric thinks you're a potentially useful pest.

The Blades are only interested in your ability to kill dragons, and won't give you the time of day if you don't do their bidding.

The Greybeards just drag their feet and help you grudgingly.

Paarthurnax, you're cool. Don't change.

What's the deal?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you are not the second dragonborn. The first one passed on his line throughout centuries. You are just the first dragonborn in 200 years.

That being said, every other dragonborn was extremely important and I think every dragonborn previous to you was a emperor. Your point still stands.

Perhaps Ulfric is truly selfish, and does not want a true emperor unless it is himself.

The Imperials lost their way of life when Martin damned and saved the empire after "turning into" Akatosh.

The Blades were only ever interested in serving direct descendents and recruiting people. With the 200 years after Uriels death, the blades would have lost all purpose that had existed before hand, as Delphine said.

The Greybeards believe the Dovakiin wants to use his voice for violence, and only help the Dovakiin at the command of Paarthurnax.

And Parthurnaax is just f***ing awesome.

Welcome to the ES Universe, a Universe you have to(if you care enough) save, but where you're nothing more than a skilled tool. Once things are back in their natural order, you simply vanish and then you have wait another 4-5 years for another ES game so that you can start this all over. :yes: Edited by Pushkatu

Perhaps Ulfric is truly selfish, and does not want a true emperor unless it is himself.

The Imperials lost their way of life when Martin damned and saved the empire after "turning into" Akatosh.

The Blades were only ever interested in serving direct descendents and recruiting people. With the 200 years after Uriels death, the blades would have lost all purpose that had existed before hand, as Delphine said.

The Greybeards believe the Dovakiin wants to use his voice for violence, and only help the Dovakiin at the command of Paarthurnax.

And Parthurnaax is just f***ing awesome.

Ulfric only cares about Ulfric.

Parthurnaax is the only major Skyrim character I like.

I wish guards had a little more respect when I'm the thane of their city without my having to burn their faces off for insolence.

It's one of the more frustrating aspects of the Elder Scroll series. The general NPC population doesn't give a rats, they just repeat their one liners over and over again.

To an incredible degree. And the same lines, repeated from different voice actors, it's really bad.

Good post, OP, I totally agree. I wish I actually FELT like I was important in Skyrim. I just feel like common rabble.

Bethsoft's historically never paid much attention to using player variable checks in NPC dialog. It's a very lengthy process that really enhances the game. Consider what it might do for the player if a group of NPCs observed your character's dragonborn powers, and responded with awe to you. Then, about a month later, you found a merchant in the next town over telling you that he'd heard of someone matching your description who etc, etc.

Or let's not even take it that far. Wouldn't it be nice to have The Companions acknowledge through their responses that the guy dressed in a hood and robes who wields magic all the time and doesn't use a weapon is a mage, and not a warrior? Or one of the thanes notice while giving a typical rant that the person he was ranting to didn't need a staff as a reward, but was dressed in shoddy heavy armor that could easily use an upgrade?

In fairness to Bethsoft, Skyrim is hardly the first game to ignore a PC's condition, race, sex, profession, or possessions while handing out quests, rewards, or comments. It's pretty commonplace, and has been trashed repeatedly--hell, I remember when we made fun of all the questgiver references in Baldur's Gate I to male party leaders by NPCs, even when you had female partyleaders. But you'd honestly expect a development team that sets out to create great atmospherics to realize that these bits of responsive dialog that note a PC's variables either enhance the atmosphere when they're present, or kill it when they aren't. I mean, the company's been a major industry player for a long time.

Not everyone regards this as important, of course. Some people simply want a "go there kill that" kind of game, and that's fine. But for at least some of us who love the lore and depth of the ES series, it's still a damn shame your character is just XYZ to the inhabitants as you wander through the countryside, accomplishing great things in a very specific way.

There some initial steps early on in the game that helped me feel important in my role as Dovakhiin. Most notably being named thane, and earning the respect of Balgruuf. Besides this and the encounter with Paarthurnax however, I really do just feel like another tool. Nothing distinguishing me from every other hero in the TES games, besides being able to spit out words that kill people.