Dude, where's my respect?

ZenMonkey47

Well, it would prolly help to just adjust how high the skill must be for the guards to comment on it. It must be fairly low now, like 30, so making it 90 or something should really make them say you're sneak thief, lock fiddler and whatever else only when you really are.

Along with "I see you are like me, huh, preffer one handed weapons over those clunky two handed ones..." says the guard with huge warhammer to the Nord with huge battleaxe.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it would prolly help to just adjust how high the skill must be for the guards to comment on it. It must be fairly low now, like 30, so making it 90 or something should really make them say you're sneak thief, lock fiddler and whatever else only when you really are.

Along with "I see you are like me, huh, preffer one handed weapons over those clunky two handed ones..." says the guard with huge warhammer to the Nord with huge battleaxe.

It's not that simple--or rather, it should be, but there are almost no checks to player character variables in any of the ES games. That's why you'll find a guy dressed in a robe and cowl using no weapons being addressed in every encounter with The Companions as though he/she was a warrior, and why a thane will reward a warrior in worn heavy armor with...a staff. And as I remarked before, it's ironic that so much time is spent on visual atmosphere when the lack of the same in dialog breaks immersion plenty of times.

It's really not that hard at all to set up a series of player variables with required checks in dialog. It just takes time, and has never been a priority for ES development teams.

It's not that simple--or rather, it should be, but there are almost no checks to player character variables in any of the ES games. That's why you'll find a guy dressed in a robe and cowl using no weapons being addressed in every encounter with The Companions as though he/she was a warrior, and why a thane will reward a warrior in worn heavy armor with...a staff. And as I remarked before, it's ironic that so much time is spent on visual atmosphere when the lack of the same in dialog breaks immersion plenty of times.

It's really not that hard at all to set up a series of player variables with required checks in dialog. It just takes time, and has never been a priority for ES development teams.

Franky, I am not quite sure what was the priority with Skyrim.

And sorry, misunderstood that then. But still, people made remarks about your skills in previous TES games when you had it on at least 60-70, but in Skyrim, people keep going "You're an alchemist, brew me an ale" even tho I never even touched the alchemy table...

And yes, it does break immersion. The more I play Skyrim... It starts to feel like only immersion and "RP" is when you are aimlessly exploring. Which isn't that cool....And, oh, you know what also breaks immersion and made me laugh the first time? When the huge Nord in heavy armor jumps into a lake/river and it makes sound as if someone threw in a pebble, haha.

But I have learned something new... I though the rewards are random, not based on... skills. That makes it little bit sad.

...maybe it would be possible to just remove certain sound files from guards, heh.

But I have learned something new... I though the rewards are random, not based on... skills. That makes it little bit sad.

...maybe it would be possible to just remove certain sound files from guards, heh.

Rewards should be based on skill, but I'm thinking they are randomized. This is pretty surprising and rather sad in a flagship game from a company with the resources Bethsoft has. What thane who isn't stark raving mad would simply pick whatever was handy to give to somebody that has done them a favor and deserves a reward? And if somebody who wants you to work for them is ranting on and on about elves, don't you think they shouldn't be doing this directly to an elf? No race check. But I can find dozens of similar instances.

Re: PC variable checks.

I find it hard to stomach when a guy dressed in commoner's clothes gets the same amount of attention as the other guy in full Daedric. Bandits seem especially stupid without this feature.

Guy in only loincloth, running around for teh lulz: Rob him

Common peasant guy: Rob him

Two 6' 9" bruisers in heavy armour and wielding huge weapons: Rob him

Just witnessed a mage melt the faces off 5 of their friends: Try to rob anyway

I'm completely agreed with the reason of this post and the indignation within.

Anyone can comprehend Skyrim its suffering devastating changes and many NPCs

need some help here or there, but definitely respect its something Skyrim lacks.

Bethesda should have kept in mind, a selfish world, create selfish players.

I remember playing Fable3, NPCs use to bow for my presence, offer me gifts,

give me compliments, applaud me and even wish me the best luck in the world...

But no matter how much I play Skyrim and how well I behave, citizens

treating you like crap and authority guards always manage to find a way

to piss me off speaking and increase my bounty by +10k :dry:

I've always thought about a sort of mod that prioritizes what the guards say based on WHEN you did something.

If you just saved the world from Alduin, then almost everyone would ONLY talk about that for the first 3-4 messages.

Then, if you do something like a local quest, guards will comment on that first, then talk about Alduin.

Quite similar to how current events work in the real world.

I'd really like to see a "NPC Dialogue Priority" Mod.

Although this wouldn't quite fix the respect issue (It would be a very nice step towards it, though) it would really fix the immersion-breaking dialogue patterns that plague the NPC's of Skyrim.

Does anyone agree with me?

Edited by Stormcrown

That was never something modders paid attention to in Morrowind, sadly. And with Oblivion and Skyrim, and the need for verbalized dialog, it's nearly impossible. If you do add checks to PC variables about specific conditions, then they can't be voiced, or the voice won't be the same one as the Bethsoft-generated character uses. Either way, immersion is broken. Myself, I would mind the lack of voicing far less than the lack of response to the PC as a specific character, but others might not see it in the same way.

I am hobby sound editor. I am currently recutting Vanilla dialogues to have more references you being the Dragonborn or a Thane. The possibilties are limited but

will not rest until i have squeezed out every single one out of that dialogue. I can't make an esp, but the sound files will be modders resource.

Give me a month or two :)

Edited by olafreinhardweyer