can't get .esp's to run. ideas?

thurisazshole

There are 2 skyrimprefs.ini files. You must add the line bEnableFileSelection=1 under the .ini file located in C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\Skyrim. There is also one in the install directory. Ignore that file. This other file is the one you must edit in order to enable the Data Files option on the start launcher.

Well, if the line on the launcher is enabled (not grayed) now, make sure the esps are ticked there, if the line is still grayed the only thing I can imagine is the linebEnableFileSelection=1is repeated but zeroed in the Skyrim.ini (which has preference when the parameters are allowed in both) or is under the wrong section, which should be the "[Launcher]"

@Nosiab - thanks for the new line of thought here. Yes, its still greyed out. I just tried that and it also oddly enough didn't work. so i tried to "force" it as well. by putting the [Launcher] and "bEnableFileSelection=1" in both ini files, just to make sure - also made sure it wasn't repeated higher up in the ini's, using notepad++'s compare functionality, in case i missed anything.

makes me wonder if i should manually add the .esp files up there.... what do you think? i know that checking them in the mod manager does not resolve it.note to the nexus mod manager creator(s): issue is NOT with your software, this was used as a step for confirmation of troubleshooting the loading of the mods themselves.
It's worth a shot, I assume you've already made sure the file isn't read-only too?

@HadToRegister - I just added the files to plugins.txt file, with proper case, and spaces if the files had them. - that did not resolve it either. the funny thing is, after closing Skyrim when it failed, i opened the file again, and it just had the following, again:

# This file is used by Skyrim to keep track of your downloaded content.
# Please do not modify this file.
Skyrim.esm

so i tried again, set that file to read only, and THAT fixed it.... its the strangest thing. Hey, thanks for sticking with me through this, I really do appreciate it.

um guys, i've got same problem with @thurisazshole, but the worst thing, I cannot find "bEnableFileSelection" line in my skyrim.ini. and i dont have any ideas why that line disappear. but I got a warning line said :

"SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information."

any suggestions guys? thank you. :)

Edited by bighug

• 2 weeks later...

Well damn I'm having the same problem with .esp files not working at all.. I've gone through it all, and everything appears to be where and as it should be.

file installed in the correct folder. "Skyrim Data folder where the Skyrim.esm is"

scripts in DLClist.txt and Plugin.txt where they should be.

bEnableFileSelection=1 added to skyrimprefs.ini

"Data" option is select able in launcher.

mod appears and is activated.

Yet still the mod appears to not be working.. any suggestions as to why this is?

It's only .esp files all other mods are working fine

• 4 months later...

1. locate the skyrimprefs.ini file (default: Documents\My games\Skyrim)

NOTE: There is another skyrimprefs.ini in the install directory but that is the wrong one

2. open it up with notepad

3. hold 'Ctrl' and press 'f' - the search function should come up

4. type in Launcher and press enter. the header: '[Launcher]' (without quote marks) should show up.

5. exit the search menu and UNDER the header copy and paste:

bEnableFileSelection=1

bShowAllResolutions=1

uLastAspectRatio=3

bLoadLooseFiles=1

OVER the existing text that is already there.

6. The 'Data Files' option when you open SkyrimLauncher.exe should now be accessible and mods can be installed.

Try that it worked for me, but now I have a problem. I couldn't see any mods when I clicked data files... this was resolved by using NMM to activate the mods... but now here's the other problem NMM (Skyrim) doesn't work; all my other nexus game managers work (FO 3 works, Oblivion works etc.) I've already given the crash trace report thing and am waiting for a response. Thanks for reading!

Edited by R4444KK0N

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I am suffering from the very same issue and have followed closely to all suggestions listed above. My plugins.txt does not show my esp's but my DLClist.txt does. I am completely confused at all of this and there is a lot of great advice out there, but none of it has been the special rememdy to my problem. Any other further ideas?