loading saves that had mods enabled

EternalRequiem

After 1.2 I tried to play Skryim with mods enabled. Well when I loaded the game I got a CTD then I tried disabling some mods to get it to work (after much trail and error), and it worked for a lil bit with the framerate 20 less than it usually was and it crashed to desktop every time I went about 50 meters. Then I decided to just try reinstalling the game and seeing how that went. I copied my saves from My Documents and went about reinstalling. I uninstalled whatever was there previously and I cleaned out traces leftover from the installation. Once I reinstalled, I tried playing my old game saves again. When I went to try to load it gave me this warning, "This save relies on content that is no longer present. Some objects may no longer be available". I said yes and while it was loading it crashed to desktop. So now I don't know what to do about my old game saves, other than wait for the next patch or reinstalled all the mods that I had when I had that save. Not sure what other fixes are out there. I spent some time searching the forum and used google but to no avail. Anyway, if anyone has any hints as to what to do it would be much appreciated.

After 1.2 I tried to play Skryim with mods enabled. Well when I loaded the game I got a CTD then I tried disabling some mods to get it to work (after much trail and error), and it worked for a lil bit with the framerate 20 less than it usually was and it crashed to desktop every time I went about 50 meters. Then I decided to just try reinstalling the game and seeing how that went. I copied my saves from My Documents and went about reinstalling. I uninstalled whatever was there previously and I cleaned out traces leftover from the installation. Once I reinstalled, I tried playing my old game saves again. When I went to try to load it gave me this warning, "This save relies on content that is no longer present. Some objects may no longer be available". I said yes and while it was loading it crashed to desktop. So now I don't know what to do about my old game saves, other than wait for the next patch or reinstalled all the mods that I had when I had that save. Not sure what other fixes are out there. I spent some time searching the forum and used google but to no avail. Anyway, if anyone has any hints as to what to do it would be much appreciated.

You have two options start all over meaning delete your saves. Or just reinstall everything.

You have two options start all over meaning delete your saves. Or just reinstall everything.

NEVER tell someone to delete all of their saves.

After 1.2 I tried to play Skryim with mods enabled. Well when I loaded the game I got a CTD

Potential fixes:

1. Update to 1.3. Are you using Steam? Steam has been known to CTD an .exe that isn't up to date.

2. Try using the 4GB Skyrim Launcher (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013)

3. Check to see if you are using any .esp file mods in your Skyrim / Data folder. If so, you may be dealing with save game corruption. Remove those mods and try to backtrack to earlier saves.

Still no luck? Try this:

4. If the above doesn't work, move your Data folder and your saves folder to a safe place. Then, restart Skyrim.

5. Verify your base install works by starting a new game. If so, quit out. If not, uninstall via Steam or the Control Panel and then reinstall via Steam or your disc. Patch all the way up to 1.3

6. Restore your save files and verify that they work. If the most recent one crashes, try several back. Be thorough.

7. Restore any texture mods. Do not reinstall any .esp mods at this time.

NEVER tell someone to delete all of their saves.

After 1.2 I tried to play Skryim with mods enabled. Well when I loaded the game I got a CTD

Potential fixes:

1. Update to 1.3. Are you using Steam? Steam has been known to CTD an .exe that isn't up to date.

2. Try using the 4GB Skyrim Launcher (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013)

3. Check to see if you are using any .esp file mods in your Skyrim / Data folder. If so' date=' you may be dealing with save game corruption. Remove those mods and try to backtrack to earlier saves.

Still no luck? Try this:

4. If the above doesn't work, move your Data folder and your saves folder to a safe place. Then, restart Skyrim.

5. Verify your base install works by starting a new game. If so, quit out. If not, uninstall via Steam or the Control Panel and then reinstall via Steam or your disc. Patch all the way up to 1.3

6. Restore your save files and verify that they work. If the most recent one crashes, try several back. Be thorough.

7. Restore any texture mods. Do not reinstall any .esp mods at this time.

[/quote']

Ok I backtracked to a couple saves earlier and it loaded. I did what you said and disabled the .esp mods. Thanks for the help. Also if I could ask a question, what exactly do .esp files do to cause this sort of problem? and if I do end up using these .esp mods in the future, can I assume that something like this will happen again? If so, should I not use them anymore? Thanks and sorry for the many questions.

Edited by EternalRequiem

.esp mods do a variety of things. Some of them make hexadecimal line edits to the game's files, which have the most potential to cause problems with the game to the best of my knowledge.

The long story short is that the .esp files are currently created using tools that were not specifically designed to work with Skyrim. Most of them work fine, but there is a risk of causing saved game corruption. My personal advice is to only install those which you can't live without until the toolkit comes out.

One thing you can try to do is create a backup copy of your working save, then gradually re-enable any .esp mods you have and see how it goes. Start with texture-based stuff if you have any, like enhanced blood or water.

• 4 months later...

Well, I tried reinstalling all the mods I had with it when it was working and it still crashes to desktop, so I don't know what to do. Does anyone know the technically specifics of this problem?

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but thank you so much for the solution! I was having the same problem as OP. I deleted my .esp files and now it works perfectly! Thanks so much!! :D

--Hayden1911