Under Water

ChildofGod

I was wondering if you guys think it would be possible to redesign the under water experience when it comes to skyrim to such the extent that it looks more or less closer to what you would actually see if you were to really go swimming (ex. distortion, bubbles, waves on the suface)? If so, what do you think it would take?

Apologies in advance, my brain had a minor explosion as I was reading your post. When the resources are available. how awesome would it be for there to be a new hold added in an underwater region of Skyrim, like a lost city of Atlantis type Deal. Populated by a race closely related to the Argonians, the player would be able to reach the city while using the water breathing enchantment.

Couldn't agree more though, underwater needs a serious re-imagining, it's way too dark, blurry, and uneventful in it's current state.

I agree. The whole use of water as just a flat divider kinda blows, and although the addition of seaweed and fish is nice, it's still pretty much just antigravity with sunglasses. Bubbles, more fish, and some kind of underwater "dust" would be really cool.

If you want to be technical, we can talk all day about caustics, refraction, Fresnel effects, blue-shifting, etc etc. Here's a starter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_vision

The game already supports Fresnel effects, which is nice. That refers to the increase in transmittance when the angle of incidence increases - in other words, water looks blue at an angle, but becomes clear when looking straight down. Unfortunately, underwater visuals are lacking right now.

Edited by jimhsu

just add special flora underwater for one. More rocks would be nice. More fishes. I wish in the coastal areas they would have made underwater dragons but that's just me. Really though just adding flora alone would improve it a lot.