A new way to cast magic

Dukoth

ok, so

when bethesda first showed the casting demos and he started talking about the different ways to cast, who else besides me thought they ment different ways to cast a single spell, I did. and when I got the game and found that I was wrong I felt a little let down, so I'm here with a request to change the way you cast spells

here's what I'm proposing:

a casting system based on how you click your mouse

single click

single click and hold

double click

double click and hold

a modifier key with any of the above

here's an example of what I'm thinking with a fire spell:

single click: cast fire bolt

single click and hold: charge spell and release: cast fire ball

double click: summon flame atronack

double click and hold: flame gout (the flame thrower spell)

modifier key pluss single click and hold: charge spell and release: cast flame shockwave

modifier key pluss double click and hold: charge spell and release: cast a fire rune

charging a spell would modify it's attributes (in this example increasing damage) with the more mana you put in it

in this example skill in destruction magic would modify how much mana is needed to charge/cast, with the mana drain being slower the higher the skill

the concept is that you have knowledge in fire as a magical power, but have no idea how to use it untill you read a spell book witch then gives you the spell, the book can even be readable to explain how to use the spell in this system

under this system a player can have as many as 16 spells to use without having to switch or hotkey a thing (assuming you have two different spells in each hand, otherwise it's 8) and that could be 32 with another modifier key

dual casting would work as above, you just clicking both mouse buttons at the same time

spells would need to be related to each other for this to make since lore wise, as with the above example all the spells were under fire

and cosideration given to what click type the spell is being placed under based on need and lore, for example:

flame bolt is single click because it represents the simplest way to cast fire magic, and a high level mage would be able to machine gun that spell to great effect due to it's simplicity

fireball is a click and hold because it represents the caster takeing the concept of flame bolt and feeding more mana into it to "overclock" the spell

flame shockwave and rune are both charge spells because the cast can put more mana into them to augment their power

the atronauk is there because I see it as an ultimate way to cast a fire spell

charging should have a base release but canbe charged beyond that point for extra power, all the way to thae maximum mana the caster has

all this is to give the feeling that the caster is not just casting a spell, but finding creative ways to use magic to it's fullest extent

so what do you guys think, will sombody take on the chaleng of making this when the cs comes out?

I just thought of something else, edits to some of the spells so they can be used more cleverly as well, like have flame gout leave fire on the ground that can harm anyone who walks in it, so you can use flame gout to make Wall of Flame :)

common people, give your support, myself and the 2 above me can't be the only ones who think this is a good idea, keep this going with discussion and ideas so when the CS comes out, someone with the talent and know how can make it happen

I have been thinking something similar . Combine different spell types for different effect . Es : 1h fire 1click = firethrower thing.

2h fire + telekinesis = fire bolt/ball etc based on level .

2h fire+fire = fire whirlwind ( blizzard ) ,

fire+oakskin = firecloak ,

fire+ward=fire rune/trap

conjure familiar/soultrap + fire/frost/lightning = atronach ,

oakskin+muffle=shadowform (ebonymail effect ;p) and so on . Most if not all spells can be made this way ( simple logic , right?)

and make magelight harm vampire / dragur and the sort .

In my opinion it is better than the standard dualcast thing and players can experiment for "new" combinations . some "difficult"/ master or unique spells can freely stay as they are . What do you think ?

Edited by idirex

ok, so

when bethesda first showed the casting demos and he started talking about the different ways to cast, who else besides me thought they ment different ways to cast a single spell, I did. and when I got the game and found that I was wrong I felt a little let down, so I'm here with a request to change the way you cast spells

here's what I'm proposing:

a casting system based on how you click your mouse

single click

single click and hold

double click

double click and hold

a modifier key with any of the above

here's an example of what I'm thinking with a fire spell:

single click: cast fire bolt

single click and hold: charge spell and release: cast fire ball

double click: summon flame atronack

double click and hold: flame gout (the flame thrower spell)

modifier key pluss single click and hold: charge spell and release: cast flame shockwave

modifier key pluss double click and hold: charge spell and release: cast a fire rune

charging a spell would modify it's attributes (in this example increasing damage) with the more mana you put in it

in this example skill in destruction magic would modify how much mana is needed to charge/cast, with the mana drain being slower the higher the skill

the concept is that you have knowledge in fire as a magical power, but have no idea how to use it untill you read a spell book witch then gives you the spell, the book can even be readable to explain how to use the spell in this system

under this system a player can have as many as 16 spells to use without having to switch or hotkey a thing (assuming you have two different spells in each hand, otherwise it's 8) and that could be 32 with another modifier key

dual casting would work as above, you just clicking both mouse buttons at the same time

spells would need to be related to each other for this to make since lore wise, as with the above example all the spells were under fire

and cosideration given to what click type the spell is being placed under based on need and lore, for example:

flame bolt is single click because it represents the simplest way to cast fire magic, and a high level mage would be able to machine gun that spell to great effect due to it's simplicity

fireball is a click and hold because it represents the caster takeing the concept of flame bolt and feeding more mana into it to "overclock" the spell

flame shockwave and rune are both charge spells because the cast can put more mana into them to augment their power

the atronauk is there because I see it as an ultimate way to cast a fire spell

charging should have a base release but canbe charged beyond that point for extra power, all the way to thae maximum mana the caster has

all this is to give the feeling that the caster is not just casting a spell, but finding creative ways to use magic to it's fullest extent

so what do you guys think, will sombody take on the chaleng of making this when the cs comes out?

I have been thinking something similar . Combine different spell types for different effect . Es : 1h fire 1click = firethrower thing.

2h fire + telekinesis = fire bolt/ball etc based on level .

2h fire+fire = fire whirlwind ( blizzard ) ,

fire+oakskin = firecloak ,

fire+ward=fire rune/trap

conjure familiar/soultrap + fire/frost/lightning = atronach ,

oakskin+muffle=shadowform (ebonymail effect ;p) and so on . Most if not all spells can be made this way ( simple logic , right?)

and make magelight harm vampire / dragur and the sort .

In my opinion it is better than the standard dualcast thing and players can experiment for "new" combinations . some "difficult"/ master or unique spells can freely stay as they are . What do you think ?