Pre-CK list of Immersion-Breakers

PR4Y

OP, I know people will love to disagree with this, but for me personally - the armor/weapon sets are awful.

It looks more like a fashion parade than any kind of serious protection.

More Fur armor types should've been in the game. Everything should have a steel sheen instead of being made of glass/ebony/gold.

Mammoth Fur Armor could be a heavy armor.

Another immersion breaker for me is the setup of the hero as the protagonist in many situations where the reasons for it are dubious at best.

"I've been in this job in the thieves guild for 20 years, but I really think you should be the next thieves guild leader instead of me, cause that's the kind of thief I am?"

What a load of bulls***, come on it's got such a spoonful of brady bunch niceness in it from people who's very job it is not to be nice.

Why am I arch mage when I haven't even got past novice?

Why am I assassins guild leader of 4 people and I'm never there and there's nothing to manage in any of these jobs anyhow?

Why'd they do this?

The spurious reasoning for all these leadership roles is really awful, gamebreaking, anti-immersive and stops people from adding mods to give you missions from the "new guild leader" later on.

Bethesda do great with engines and graphics, but gameplay and story they need some help with.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quest for the mage's guild that has the annoying guy named Orthorn that you can rescue is called Hitting the Books. Killing him is a good option. He dies anyway so it's ok. You don't really need him.

The biggest thing that breaks it for me is the NPC's don't notice race. I play as a Altmer but have no trouble going into a Stormcloak held town. No one says anything. The guards could say " Were watching you." The shop keepers could tell me to hurry up and buy something and get out. Or even "You gona buy something? If not leave." Or even a occasional "We don't serve your kind here." They mention elves now and then but not often.

These changes could be made to work with Khajiit to. They are not even allowed into the cities. So if the PC is Khajiit there should be some distrust and comments made.

I actually had a guard say to my Altmer mage " Keep your sneaky hands out of my pocket thief." What? I'm a mage not a thief.

The repetitive disrespect from the citizens of Skyrim to the Dragonborn is enough to make me say F*** this and go back to Cyrodiil. I'm not sure what Bethesda's thinking was behind this.

They leave a lot of faction quest lines open ended. I think they do that so the modding community can finish there game for them. Free labor. No it can't be that right.

An easier way to do this would be to change the universal NPC script so that they only say something when you bump into them or speak to them, instead of just walking past you and commenting about god knows what. For instance I have no idea why the guards would say anything unless you bother them, guards are supposed to stay silent during duty. I remember during Morrowind they had similar behavior but they only said something like 'Good day,' 'Citizen' or 'Muthsera.'

Wonder what ever happened to that dark elf voice actor, the dark elves in Skyrim all sound like wimps...

You have your work cut out for you, my friend. I'd lend my voice to your project, but it'll be coming to Tamriel soon enough in a companion mod.

That being said, this one always ticked me off:

Actor Name: The defeated Jarls and their courtiers

Actor Location: Palace of Kings or (presumably) the Blue Palace

Speech in Question: All of it

Related Triggers: Winning the civil war

Suggested Alternative Speech: Varies by subject

Other Information: Until the civil war is one and the enemy capital falls, it makes sense for the defeated Jarls to flee there. However, once the war is won, it stands to reason that most of them would be be imprisoned or executed. I would ideally like to see an "epilogue" chapter of the civil war that allows you to determine their fates (some of those bastards really deserve the chopping block... I'm looking at you, Mr. Jarl of Riften).

Id love to help out on this project, if you need voices, give me a pm.

:)

I think the generic point has been well made in the context of the mage's college but the Thieves Guild is just as bad. The fact that nobody there or in the ragged flaggon has noticed that I am wearing full nightingale armour is a little odd. The fact that as the only one apparently putting a shift in to rebuild the guild I am subjected to the same generic 'you're new here?' speech is irritating as well!. Someone has already mentioned Brynjold's permanent commentary after a certain point that he is 'too busy at the moment'

i was just reading and thought of one the delayed burial quest with the jester Cicero standing next to a broken down carrage asking for help from the farmer Lioreius. After completing the quest Cicero says i will wait for Lioreius to help. (hope you know the one iam talking about) anyway i leave the area and progress several levels. then later iam walking past the farm and the jester is still waiting for help. WTF its been months since Lioreius agreed to help. that corpse is has been sitting by the road slowly decomposing and stinking out the entire area. it would even be effecting the local crops and wildlife.

anyway simple fix just make it so after one In-game day has passed the jester and his carrage just dissapier. i cant believe the makers didnt spot this (although saying that they have created an entier contienant to explore and pillage so i forgive them).

P.S. the female blacksmith in whiterun Adriauna has this one line about "I help my father in more ways than people know" Wink Wink nudge nudge. this line still makes me laugth so i think you can keep that in. =)

Good luck with the project hope this helps.

Edited by nemesis_393

Hi nemesis, the cicero fix is due to him popping up in the Dark brootherhood questline as a main NPC.

When you get into the Dark brotherhood quest line, can you report back and tell us if he moved or not, then we can see if this is a bug or just a simple immersion breaker.

Cheers man :)