Gibberish languages for Argonian, Khajiit, and Orc races?

cooltrickle

One of the good things about the KOTOR games was that there was plenty of dialogue and choices to make. I think the reason for this was that not all of the NPCs spoke English. Some of them were aliens and spoke gibberish language which was lip-synced as their subtitled speech was displayed on-screen. Players got the feeling they were actually talking to the NPC, but also complicated and interesting dialogue.

My idea, is to reduce some of the races of TES to the level of aliens, and give them gibberish language rather than speaking English. I think this is something that Bethesda should have picked up on a long time ago. It would have solved the problem of increasing the amount of player-sensitive dialogue without increasing the amount of voice acting. In this way the quests could have had more choices and dialogue without breaking the budget.

It would make most sense to make the Argonian, Khajiit, and Orcs speak gibberish language. I suppose the Elven races too. That would free up a huge amount of voice acting for the human races and hopefully, a huge writing team to produce long, complicated quests with lots of choices. I want the dialogue to be limited by the writers imagination not the voice-acting budget. I hope Bethesda has something like this planned as I think TES needs a big kick to keep it going. I'm not sure how interested I'm going to be, if TES 6 rolls up without any significant change from the previous games. Not because they're bad but you expect things to improve, otherwise why bother? Well, besides money.

What do you think? Genius or Heresy?

BTW, does anyone else think the Khajiit, whine too much? Whenever, I talk to them, they either complain about being thought of as thieves or they're boasting about how much profit they're making from the war. For this reason, I can't stand them. If they spoke a gibberish language, at least I wouldn't have to hear the whining tone in their voice.

True, in Daggerfall they had linguistic skills in Spriggan, Harpy, Orcish. I too find this a bit of a disappointing aspect they could have developed. But then again considering that geographically that none of the cultures are really separated from the dominant imperial culture apart from sumurset Isle, all the other cultures on Tamriel have been dealing with the Empire for millennia, so it isn't all that far-fetched that they all happen to speak the same language.

@shadow

I'm not intending that new languages get created for each race. Just enough to make it *sound* like they're speaking another language. This is just for the purpose of not having every race requiring full voice-acting. Instead they will have a limited number of words that they will jumble together while text subtitles are displayed on the screen, just like Knights of the Old Republic. Because some races don't need full voice-acting, this means the human races will have more dialogue.

I hope Bethesda has something like this planned as I think TES needs a big kick to keep it going.

You don't think that nearly half a billion dollars in revenue in the first 48 hours from release was big enough?

The TES franchise seems to be going along very well indeed.

Bethesda seem to know what they are doing despite so many other people thinking the contrary.

I hope Bethesda has something like this planned as I think TES needs a big kick to keep it going.

You don't think that nearly half a billion dollars in revenue in the first 48 hours from release was big enough?

Bethesda seem to know what they are doing despite so many other people thinking the contrary.

If games were released with a money-back guarantee if not satisfied, sales figures would mean something. Anyway, this is not about Bethesda-bashing. It's a perfectly reasonable suggestion to increase the amount of voice-acting and player choice in the game without an increase in voice-acting budget. If you can't or won't take the time to address the actual content of the topic, then do us all a favour and take your argumentative personality to another thread.

They seem to know what they are doing in marketing hyping up people for a very disapointing experience, and they also know what they are doing in creating fanboys who would still lick their boots no matter how much they f***ed up, Skyrim is cool, but it's just another game, it could have been so much better, but it isn't, because 11-11-11, yeah they really know what they are doing, such a cool release date, I love you Bethesda, can I lick your boots and be your fanboy forever now? :facepalm:

If games were released with a money-back guarantee if not satisfied, sales figures would mean something. Anyway, this is not about Bethesda-bashing. It's a perfectly reasonable suggestion to increase the amount of voice-acting and player choice in the game without an increase in voice-acting budget. If you can't or won't take the time to address the actual content of the topic, then do us all a favour and take your argumentative personality to another thread.

Argumentative? You make unqualified statements and a game play suggestion that reduces playability by being unable to interact with other races which are there to offer more content through their dialog.

What's the point of having them there in the first place if you can't even talk to them and get quests?

If you're going to post in a forum expect some pointed comment on your suggestions (including those facets that are outside of the scope of your main ideas).

"including facets that are outside the scope of your main ideas" = things I didn't say

Yes, argumentative. Instead of putting words in my mouth, why not just ask for clarification? Because you prefer to argue. I'm aware that this is a forum, but I came here to talk to other people, and not to argue. Try and have some more respect for people.

Maybe you haven't played KOTOR, but if you find out about it, you'll see that you can still talk to any NPC and get quests. It doesn't spoil the game; it just means that their actual dialogue can't be understood unless you read the dialogue text. It works like a subtitled film.

I think it would be a nice addition to the immersion of the races, but considering what way beth is going, that will never happen.

Honestly i would much rather go to the text style quest system from morrowind, then fully voiced ones...would saved them a lot of work/money and they could spent their time on better things....just my opinion though.

I love KOTOR, still playing it from time to time...yeah the system of choices/different race voices would fit this game....no, actually this game desperately needs something like that...i have problem to play for more then 1hour, before getting bored again...knowing that nothing really matters what i do...or listening to the same rabble from guards or other people/races.

Edited by pavy

"including facets that are outside the scope of your main ideas" = things I didn't say

Yes, argumentative. Instead of putting words in my mouth, why not just ask for clarification? Because you prefer to argue. I'm aware that this is a forum, but I came here to talk to other people, and not to argue. Try and have some more respect for people.

Maybe you haven't played KOTOR, but if you find out about it, you'll see that you can still talk to any NPC and get quests. It doesn't spoil the game; it just means that their actual dialogue can't be understood unless you read the dialogue text. It works like a subtitled film.

I don't want a sub-titled game when voice acting is available. Why isn't it possible for the foreign (I find the word alien rather derogatory) races to speak the "common" tongue. If I go to Europe, many people speak English and if they travel to an English speaking country, most of them can speak the local language.

Frankly, how are the kitty cats supposed to trade with the locals if no one can understand them?

More realistic and in the vein of RP would be some of the foreigners, those that aren't "born" in Skyrim, can't speak the local language. That would make more sense.

If you can't understand the NPC "gibberish" then you can't understand it full stop. No gimping it with sub-titles.