Crashing to Desktop

ariinya

Hi! I just purchased the game, but I just CAN'T start playing without mods! I'm addicted to this site! However, whenever I try to start the game, it crashes to desktop. I've turned off all the mods in the launcher area, so I can only assume it's one of the texture mods I downloaded. Unfortunately, I downloaded a LOT of them. =P It took me awhile to learn how to get them all into the data folder, and I allowed some files to overwrite others (mix and matched some of the mods --- could that be the problem?). How can I figure out which mod it is? It's not like I can turn them off ---- or can I? O.O Please help! I really, REALLY want to play!

The first time you load your game to play, you must verify it with steam even after you install it. If you go in offline mode before you start the gane up for the first time, it will ctd or error message. Verify your cache with steam and there is no reason it should not run with texture replacers only. If you are using snipped esp's, it could be a load order issue. Also, if you are using INI editors, it can cause ctd if improperly administered after the 1.3 patch.

Oh... my goodness. :X That's a lot of technical stuff that doesn't make much sense to me! But I can tell you one thing: I DID start up the game once before doing anything else, any mods or anything, and I verified it with steam. Also, I took out all the texture, mesh, sound, and music files added by any of the mods, and the game started. It must be something in there, but I don't know how to find out what.

Could it be because I did a lot of mixing and matching of mods? Maybe the ones with .esp files... do those need to be complete?

Sorry my eyboard just crapped out on me. If your using esp's and the syrim.esm is not at the top, it will cause a ctd on startup. If you've used anything that edits the ini files as well as creating additional lighting affects, view the downloaded files in your download cache, then remove the associated files in your data folder. Then to create a vanilla ini in your saves folder, remove everything from your saves games folder into a temp folder on your destop. Then start the game and create a new save. This will generate a vanilla ini file set in your saves games folder. Then place your save games, if you have any, bac in your saves games folder. If it ctd's on startup during or after this procedure, you have a file in your data folder that is liley not compatible with the current patch of the game. The only / easiest solution for this is to re-install. When you re-install, and first uninstall, you will see that it only removed files that are vanilla game files and if you go to your data folder after you uninstall you will see the aftermaret file you forgot to remove. Mae sure if you re-install, you clear out the ini files in your save game folder and let it generate new ones. A classic re-installing mistae that people mae. before doing that stuff, mae sure you have the latest version of any editors you have such as 4gb syrim. Previous versions might be incompadible with the new patch. Also, go to your search column in the start menu and type - msconfig - then clic the third tab - services - then clic the chec box in the bottom corner that says - hide all microsoft services -. This will show any programs that you have currently running such as antivirus that may be affecting your ability to load or play the game. Also, mae sure you do not have steam installed in program files x86 because it has safeguards that may affect the ability to run the game, and will cause huge problem when running mods such as 4gb syrim and others. really sorry my enter ey and letter between j and l stopped woring.

I'll try. Also, load loose files won't seem to stay on. Each time I open the "Data Files" in the Skyrim launcher, I have to click "Load Loose Files" again. That makes me think it's not staying on. What can I do?

Using the mod manager maes the load loose files feature irrelevant. Mae sure you reset archive inviladation after installing texture replacers to compensate. Edit. also dont use the launcher that requires you to view the data files screen, use the tesv launcher that boots directly into the game once you have the settings in place

Which mod manager is this? And what if I want to use the 4GB mod?

This explains a lot. This is probably why your crashing. download the mod manager here. http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/461759-nmm-release-notes-01218/ Then install it according to its instructions. Load it and chec off any esp's you want to use. Be sure to clic the wrench and screwdriver and reset archive invalidation anytime you install a texture replacer. To use 4gb syrim, Download it and drop the entire group of files in your syrim folder. Find the Logo for the 4gb exe and mae a shortcut and put it on your destop. Then run. This only wors with 64 bit systems though.

So basically, I'm a modding noob and went a little crazy with installing mods, it being so easy thanks to the manager. Suddenly, when trying to fix a grass texture issue but turning on/off certain mods, skyrim wont run for more than 10 seconds (after loading) before ctd. I turned on all the mods I had when I last saved (it told me the save files were corrupted) but it still won't work. Please help?