ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

2 Quick Questions

droscoe2

I believe I have done my homework, research-wise. I have two questions about scripting/modding

1. Is there any instance in any ES game where a mod (most likely through a script) changes the texture of an item IN-GAME? Not replace the item with another identical mesh that has a different texture, but literally changes the texture file path of that original item?

2. Can that even be accomplished?

I've read through OBSE, OBGE, INI settings, Commands etc and found nothing that indicates the ability to replace the texture of an item in-game, on-the-fly. I could really use the ability to change texture file path in-game, but didn't know if that was even possible. To me it seems like it would crash the game or something. It would make my Armor Dye mod, and other mod ideas seem more feasible.

Thanks for replies,

droscoe

Edited by droscoe2

You are pretty impatient? ;)

Why do you think this is necessary? Thexture paths are so deeply integrated into the Nif format, and Nifs don't have something like a ID. So like in OBSE it would be quite difficult to make functions to change the texture of a nif of an object (for all object types).

Isn't having the ability to exchange model paths enough support?

Well when you're working on a mod with over 3,000 textures, then adding those 3,000 new models to the CK, I think my questions are reasonable.

For my armor dye mod:

As it seems now, a script is needed that removes a selected piece of armor and then replaces it with a recolored version of the same type.

If it could just replace the texture of the armor, but not actually swap out items (*behind the scenes) then it would save some steps in creating the mod. A LOT of steps over the 3k-texture-process

Edited by droscoe2

Well when you're working on a mod with over 3,000 textures, then adding those 3,000 new models to the CK, I think my questions are reasonable.

That sure is reasonable. :thumbsup:

But if it's of this magnitude, why don't do ask in the OBSE thread at the Bethesda forum? ScruggsTheFerret is real cooperative.

for cheap armor dyes all you really want to do is apply a color tint to your texture.

before moving forward I would investigate the depth of script control over materials.

worst case scenario is have a premade selection of armor dyes and all the diffuse textures for em, and a version of the armor with each permutation of the dye result.

(end result would be a massive fat mod hundreds of megs in size, but you could do it easily that way)

however, as mentioned above, if you could apply tints on the mats at the script level, that would be a cheap solution. Needs poking around though i dont think out of the box scripts can manipulate mats in that way, but im no expert there.