Swap enchant graphics with runes!

Magicnubs

I searched in Mod Talk and Mod Requests sub-forums for "enchant" and "runes" and I didn't find anything, so here it is.

EDIT: So, someone posted a similar request here while I was writing mine.

Does anyone else really dislike the current enchanted weapon/armor warpy graphical overlay? I find the current enchant graphics just to be kind of distracting and ugly and I don't feel like they reflect the effort put in to the rest of the game. Currently I just have them modded not to show up at all.

Request: Would it be possible to swap out the current moving/warping "enchant" overlay with a few static glowing runes per weapon/item and make them show up on armor? The colors could even match up to the current color schemes for each enchant. A really good opportunity to sneak in some real-world Nordic references into Skyrim has been missed here! Regardless of my personal tastes shown below, wouldn't this be an awesome mod?

My personal tastes would be only a few dimly glowing, not-too-color-saturated runic characters per enchant. This would keep them from getting old quick, being too distracting and looking weird if the enchant colors don't match up perfectly, especially if they showed up on armor. Something like this (but maybe still toned down with fewer characters that are less bright, but the color is about right):

http://static.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/images/2498-1-1322921694.jpg

THE BOW IN THIS PICTURE is about perfect in terms of amount of runes I'd like to see, though they could be dimmer and actual characters instead of just shapes/lines. There is too much going on for me on the other weapons.

http://static.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/images/2525-1-1322946846.jpg

Edited by Magicnubs

I would love runes on the weapons, instead of this vague leopard print s***.

Would it be possible to make the runes have a faint effect depending on their enchantment? Like fire enchantments have flames on the runes like a Fire Rune spell. Soul-trap enchantments look purple, and kinda have a shimmering void effect around the weapon. Or a turn undead enchantment makes the weapon and runes shine with light.

I like the runes, but monotone white runes would be boring as hell.

I would love runes on the weapons, instead of this vague leopard print s***.

Would it be possible to make the runes have a faint effect depending on their enchantment? Like fire enchantments have flames on the runes like a Fire Rune spell. Soul-trap enchantments look purple, and kinda have a shimmering void effect around the weapon. Or a turn undead enchantment makes the weapon and runes shine with light.

I like the runes, but monotone white runes would be boring as hell.

I'm sure these could all be made options fairly simply if they were all possible. :D

I'd be worried about it becoming too much later in the game when every piece of armor I have is enchanted and I start to run into more and more enemies with enchanted gear as well. My personal taste is less overt than most people's I'm sure (especially considering I already shy away from most of the armor sets in the game because they are a bit over the top; the Elven/Dwarven sets are about as "fancy" as I like my armor to get and the Elven looks like heavy armor IMO.) Looking like this, except also rainbow-colored, would be too much for my taste:

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/61500/Tron-Iron-Man--61642.jpg

Again though: these are just my preferences/opinions.

I'm sorry sir, but I must respectfully disagree.

That would be f***ing amazing. XD

But I do see your point. Mayhaps make the enemy's enchantments invisible? You know, as a side plug-in.

It's kinda hard to make enchantments noticeable, without looking like a flaming rainbow trout.

Armor enchantment effects are invisible for me...not sure exactly what you two are talking about. Only the weapons show the magic effect in the game world, right? With the armor showing the effect in the menus.

Maybe I just don't look hard enough or something...

They're tinted. But you do have a point. It isn't quite as blatant as I made it out to be. However, I kind of figured that if we're going to enhance the enchantment visuals, then making armor enchantments more noticeable/badass would come as a given.