Need more salt?

gigantibyte

Oh, but also wanted to comment: I initially found, like you, that salt was a limiting factor. But once I was aware of that and started hoarding it, I found that I was able to get more than I needed from all the current / standard sources... just dumped 100 portions / 10kg into my alchemy bag.

- Better recipes and a hunger system would be awesome, but beyond the scope of what I had in mind for my first Skyrim mod. I'm surprised that Bethesda didn't expand on the hunger/thirst system in New Vegas.

- Vegetable soup doesn't need salt :) How we carry it around is puzzling though. I haven't seen any thermoses or canteens...

- Perhaps to make the mine more useful to some people, I could also make it a minor source for other varieties of salt - Fire, Frost, and Void.

- Forget the evaporation idea, unless you want build such a plant yourself. I'm more interested in making a dungeon type crawler, and a salt mine gives me a plausible premise. Having a Nord mine shaft hit upon a Dwemer factory (which is equivalent of a modern Sifto operation) though is definitely something I'd like to add in, but will be phase 2 of the project. Dwemer ruins seem extremely complex and more time consuming to make than a cave system. A big underground salt deposit would also give a good reason why modern Nords and ancient Dwemer would be attracted to the same location.

Looking into this idea,

If you need some help when the (official) development tools are handied out,

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/469476-creation-kit-release-info/I think according to this is January.

Anyway I've done some work on some mods int he past, and still dig it.

Sort of Layout would like to concept. Give me a PM, and I'll get back in touch

Looking into this idea,

If you need some help when the (official) development tools are handied out,

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/469476-creation-kit-release-info/I think according to this is January.

Anyway I've done some work on some mods int he past, and still dig it.

Sort of Layout would like to concept. Give me a PM, and I'll get back in touch

Done! Thanks for the interest.

I'm more of a forum reader than a poster but...

I was thinking if you did want to make it a Dwemer ruin with a salt factory and the whole evaporation process, you could do something like blackreach. I say that because there is an underground water system there in blackreach, and who's to say it isn't connected to the ocean? Obviously blackreach is way too large to pull off what your talking about but making it smaller could work. Instead of all the large mushrooms and things just make the layout with the piping and machine work from the Dwemer ruins. The underground water system could be your supply of salt water, and quite possibly have salt deposits in the rocks surrounding the area for the mining aspect.

Just an idea!

I'm more of a forum reader than a poster but...

I was thinking if you did want to make it a Dwemer ruin with a salt factory and the whole evaporation process, you could do something like blackreach. I say that because there is an underground water system there in blackreach, and who's to say it isn't connected to the ocean? Obviously blackreach is way too large to pull off what your talking about but making it smaller could work. Instead of all the large mushrooms and things just make the layout with the piping and machine work from the Dwemer ruins. The underground water system could be your supply of salt water, and quite possibly have salt deposits in the rocks surrounding the area for the mining aspect.

Just an idea!

I'm honored that you made your first post in this thread! Welcome to the forums.

It looks like this mod will now be a collaborative effort, and people will get their Dwemer distillery, complete with voice acting and custom models. No time table, but it will be more than just a place to acquire extra salt as I first envisioned it. I'm personally looking forward to the experience, and have high expectations this project will actually get done. (Is it just me, or has there a lot of ambitious proposals announced?)

So it's no longer my decision alone what will be featured in this mod, but keep the suggestions coming in.

It looks like this mod will now be a collaborative effort, and people will get their Dwemer distillery, complete with voice acting and custom models. No time table, but it will be more than just a place to acquire extra salt as I first envisioned it. I'm personally looking forward to the experience, and have high expectations this project will actually get done.

I've decided to add a Dwemer thing to my quest as well after exploring Irkngthand and I've updated my thread with more info. This mod might also be partly to blame for me wanting to make a Dwemer ruin. I was really disappointed when I couldn't find a Dwemer name generator online. The only TES one I found was on the Tamriel Rebuilt site but it was only for living races. Anyway, if you need help making a Dwemer-sounding name for your distillery, go to http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/ and copy/paste

(a|beth|b|bth|mz|nch|e|i|o|u|t|v|k|d|r|rald|)(left|rkng|thand|uand|anch|ung|thumz|drus|casht|a|e|i|o|u|ahnch|ard|ahrk|umz|ingth|al|nzel|zel|bth)(a|beth|b|bth|mz|nch|e|i|o|u|t|v|k|d|r|rald|)(left|rkng|thand|uand|anch|ung|thumz|drus|casht|a|e|i|o|u|ahnch|ard|ahrk|umz|ingth|al|nzel|zel|bth)

into the blank box under Advanced Interface. I just looked at the naming conventions of the Morrowind and Skyrim Dwemer names and split them up. Pressing the Generate Names button will give you 119 names to choose from and if you don't like them, you can always refresh the page for a new batch.

(Is it just me, or has there a lot of ambitious proposals announced?)
It's not just you. I'm seeing it too. From the Westeros project to the Christopher Paolini project, these are pretty ambitious. Edited by Adolon

Floats has sent me a Happy Kwanzaa email, with text descriptions of the steam evaporators you talked with him about. If we are going to need three 45 foot towers, we will need one hole cell just for that plant set-up in a huge Dwermer cave. Floats hates navmeshing so I will expect to hear him swearing at me on Skype about it shortly.

@Adolon: I hadn't even considered lore friendly naming. Thanks for the tips.

Floats has sent me a Happy Kwanzaa email, with text descriptions of the steam evaporators you talked with him about. If we are going to need three 45 foot towers, we will need one hole cell just for that plant set-up in a huge Dwermer cave. Floats hates navmeshing so I will expect to hear him swearing at me on Skype about it shortly.

Auto-navmeshing in the next ck? no? Stupid AI!

Finally visited Nchuand-Zel. A lot of piping and pumping action going on there. It even has water flooded in. Couldn't taste it though to see if it was salty.