Leave the kids out of the issues

kvnchrist

I am really getting tired of adults throwing children into the fry of social/political issues. Can't we keep the lunacy of our busy bodied, small minded little world we call reality away from our children. At least long enough to recognize just how much like children we all act at times, and hopefully they will learn from experience, not to be us.

My link

Is that right to use children, who are not experienced life enough to have made up their minds, beyond what their parents have taught them?

children should never be held responsible or put in the spotlight when it comes to matters they do not fully understand

but they should absolutely learn about it.

think of human origin (everybody rips on the stone age etc, assuming that we would all die. not true: we're still here. the past is a good teacher cus it brought us all the way here)

human children joined hunts, quarrels, even wars.

now we have adapted more into shielding them - first from wars: as populations grew, we could afford sending only the men, then only half the men, then merely a 10% of all men. today a national army tends to be about 1% of the national population: needless to say, children are the LAST we need in our armies.

we then shield them from quarrels and arguments, even from within the family. yes, they are hurt and stressed out by it, but who arent stressed out by life?

children shouldnt be put in a spotlight, or given any heavy responsabilities concerning issues like politics or ethics, but they really should learn about it.

my sister was SO protected by her parents (at an age of 10...), she thought the iraq war was fought with sabres and cannonballs that bounced off peoples heads - because of this GROSS misinformation, she was confused as to what the "big deal" was, "why are people so against war? it sounds fun!"

so i had to explain, no... they bomb houses, houses explode into a million pieces, and the people inside rip apart as well

"oh"

and they shoot with guns

"real guns!?"

yes, real guns...

she actually added "no wonder people hate bush", so i had to hurry and explain that HE didnt invent war :D and so on.

she had a similar shock-of-her-life when se saw her first homeless person in spain, insisting we should take him home and give him a life.... guess who had to do the explaning? <---me.

My child at age 8 had many of her own opinions that didn't have anything to do with me. So how do you know..that this boy was put up to this by his parents?

My child at age 8 had many of her own opinions that didn't have anything to do with me. So how do you know..that this boy was put up to this by his parents?

Because the women reached over and prompted him saying. "Don't you have something you want to say.?" and why would this women want to be around this dizzy b&^$#$ if not to make a statement. Do you realy think that an 8 year old thinks of going somewhere and confronting adults, on camera and I quote ON CAMERA. This was a set up, if I ever saw one.

Look. I'm not one for separate group rights, because I believe in Human rights. Last time I looked gays were human and deserve every right that anyone else has, but kids need to be left out of this. Personally, I wouldn't vote Bachman in for dog catcher, even if her parents were roaming the streets, but let the adults hash this out. This is where idealism goes off the chart and I know there are some out there in the gay community that see this my way, as well. Not everyone in a group are activists and many want the more vocal of the same just to shut the flip up.

I dont actually disagree with you on this...I am merely saying do you know for sure. And yes my personal experience tells me that something like this is possible but I am not going into details. I just want to set in there that it isn't always the parents pushing them...directly anyway.

The public schools I went to didn't get into politics, and the local school board agreed that political matters should be kept out of the classroom, and teach strictly based on history. This was due to many parental complaints to the school board about teachers advocating a particular ideology. Which I think is harmful. I think people should develop their own political ideologies from the ground up, without it being spoon fed to them. Although parents are the main influence on a child's political ideology, someone raised by Liberal or Conservative parents is likely to adopt those beliefs. My parents both disagree with each other on politics, and I actually heard some pretty heated debates from them over politics.

I don't think the K through 12 public education system should be getting into politics, and that is something that should be developed over a number of years. I don't think teenagers are capable of developing a world view that isn't naive. I think the voting age should be 25 instead of 18. And if you take political science or another such class in College, don't be afraid to disagree with the professor, or even the rest of the class for that matter.

Edited by Beriallord

The public schools I went to didn't get into politics, and the local school board agreed that political matters should be kept out of the classroom, and teach strictly based on history. This was due to many parental complaints to the school board about teachers advocating a particular ideology. Which I think is harmful. I think people should develop their own political ideologies from the ground up, without it being spoon fed to them. Although parents are the main influence on a child's political ideology, someone raised by Liberal or Conservative parents is likely to adopt those beliefs. My parents both disagree with each other on politics, and I actually heard some pretty heated debates from them over politics.

I don't think the K through 12 public education system should be getting into politics, and that is something that should be developed over a number of years. I don't think teenagers are capable of developing a world view that isn't naive. I think the voting age should be 25 instead of 18. And if you take political science or another such class in College, don't be afraid to disagree with the professor, or even the rest of the class for that matter.

One of the problems I ran into in various Poli-sci classes was, if you disagreed with the profs viewpoint, you failed..... which really isn't teaching anything, thats indoctrination. plain and simple. I suppose not every poli-sci teacher is like that.... but, I bet a good percentage of them are......

Reading some of the pap that the various poli-sci profs around here (either currently, or formerly) post in the editorial section of the newspaper, makes me wonder just how in hades these guys got their PHD in the first place.. Some of their views are so whacked, and out of touch with reality, I am stunned the paper even printed them.... Slow news day?

One of the problems I ran into in various Poli-sci classes was, if you disagreed with the profs viewpoint, you failed..... which really isn't teaching anything, thats indoctrination. plain and simple. I suppose not every poli-sci teacher is like that.... but, I bet a good percentage of them are......

Political science isn't a required course for most degrees and is optional in college. And the people taking those classes should know what they are getting into. Usually within the first week you can drop the class if you don't like the course or the professor.

Edited by Beriallord

Political science isn't a required course for most degrees and is optional in college. And the people taking those classes should know what they are getting into. Usually within the first week you can drop the class if you don't like the course or the professor.

If you are going for a poli-sci degree, they aren't exactly optional..... (I wasn't, fortunately) And if you have a limited prof selection, as is the case in most smaller colleges/universities... well, you can see the writing on the wall.