A Letter From a Friend

billyro

You know how that courier runs up to you and says "I've got a letter for you, your eyes only..." or something like that. The letter is always the same. Yeah, you are dragon born and you did a shout in this place, and I want to see you get stronger, go to this place and find the word wall. Sincerely, a friend.

WHO IS THE FRIEND?!?!

I thought it would probably have been Hadvar or Ralof, and I've yet to find any proof. So basically, who is it OR who do you think it is?

I was thinking about this just earlier today actually. I have not completed the main quest line, and have a lot left to do in the game (TONS, actually) but if I had to make a guess with my current understanding I'd have to say it's one of the Greybeards as it seems the other NPCs are oblivious to the Dragon Word Walls.

Dont think its the greybeards, since you can ask them about locations of words of power after the horn quest, the letters from a friend are triggered when you use shouts in X locations.

Also others are aware of them since there is an ingame book about them and the language Dragon Language: Myth No more

So doubt its any one in particular, just like the letter say someone who wants to help (cheap excuse for getting locations from the devs :P)

• 2 weeks later...

M'aiq has time to find locations of Word Walls? I thought he was too intent on finding calipers...

I thought that maybe Delphine or Esbern would have sent it, but I've dismissed that now.

Delphine wouldn't have sent the messages because:

-She is not sure if you are the Dragonborn until you prove yourself, when you can receive letters before that quest.

-She is a (censored word) because she wants Paarthurnax dead.

Esbern wouldn't have sent the messages because:

-Same as Delphine, doesn't trust you until proven.

-Stays holed up in the Riften Ratways. Pfft, like someone who does that would help.

I honestly have no clue. Still, my main bets are Hadvar/Ralof depending on who you sided with at the start... Although I haven't actually joined one of the sides yet, so I don't know if you choose the other side to the person you chose at the start, the letters stop coming. Sorry if that makes no sense, I'm tired.

Random person Bob perhaps?

No, seriously. I suspect the guards who took an arrow to the knee sends you messages, because he noted down where he/they found the walls before the arrow hit.

It fits as well: You get the messages when you use a shout in a city and in each city there is about 12 guards who took arrow to the knees.

Solved.