How to get off thieves guild quest?

reisalomao

i couldn't cancel quest in morrowind so they've always been lazy. now you know the conspiracy so now you must die!

Ugh another excuse. Morrowind came out in the early 00's. This is 2011 games should and have evolved into better games.

if i remember correctly you couldnt cancel quest in dragon age, mass effect or the witcher 2.

only RPG ive played where you can cancel is WOW but mmos do that to avoid bugs for the most part.

Edited by hector530

i couldn't cancel quest in morrowind so they've always been lazy. now you know the conspiracy so now you must die!

Ugh another excuse. Morrowind came out in the early 00's. This is 2011 games should and have evolved into better games.

if i remember correctly you couldnt cancel quest in dragon age, mass effect or the witcher 2.

Yes but those games all have actual choices in their quests. For example if Skyrim were made by Bioware or CDProjekt Red, instead of just being able to join the thieves guild, you would be able to kill all of them, end the corruption in the city, and make life generally better for the citizens in the city AND they would actually react to that. Then there would be no reason to cancel the quest because there would be choices for everyone. In Skyrim there is barely any diversity in quests. It just seems to cater to the unstable "ill save you now and kill you later" kind of audience.

Edited by CelerasRingor

Yes but those games all have actual choices in their quests. For example if Skyrim were made by Bioware or CDProjekt Red, instead of just being able to join the thieves guild, you would be able to kill all of them, end the corruption in the city, and make life generally better for the citizens in the city AND they would actually react to that. Then there would be no reason to cancel the quest because there would be choices for everyone. In Skyrim there is barely any diversity in quests. It just seems to cater to the unstable "ill save you now and kill you later" kind of audience.

aww yes the black and white quest system of bioware. also i wouldnt say the NPCs in bioware game react to want you do because they have no life they stand in the same spot all day and do nothing. also i dont get your logic its ok that those games dont have a way to cancel quest because they have choices? dont you just want to cancel because you dont like it in your quest log?

also thieves guild quest are about being stealthy and being a thief go figure.

aww yes the black and white quest system of bioware. also i wouldnt say the NPCs in bioware game react to want you do because they have no life they stand in the same spot all day and do nothing. also i dont get your logic its ok that those games dont have a way to cancel quest because they have choices? dont you just want to cancel because you dont like it in your quest log?

Im saying, if they don't want to add choices like that then there should be a way to remove it from your quest log. Also, yes the thieves guild quess are all about stealth but the thieves guild itself is a part of the world and should not be treated as just another isolated quest.

I totally agree with the OP, I like things nice and neat and having quests in my log I have no intention of doing just makes me irritable. Especially when they stack up - I like to be able to flip to my journal and quickly find what I am looking for, not wade through a load of crap I don't want to do. Saying that's OCD is childish.

It was suggested to me to kill the quest-giver (in this case Brynjolf). I can't remember if he is essential, but if so, you can change that with a console command (on PC)

setessential 0001B07D 0

and then kill him normally (not console 'kill' command)

(for a more detailed explanation of this and other console commands, see: http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Console)

from UESP:

While it is fine to change an NPC to essential yourself and then decide later to make them mortal again, you should never set an NPC that is essential (immortal) in the vanilla game (i.e., before modifications) as mortal. If they're already essential, don't change them. Certainly do not save the game if you do. If an originally essential NPC dies it will undoubtedly break whole quests, entire questlines, or perhaps even the entire story, and you'll be forced to reload a previous save.

The whole point of this exercise is to break the thieves guild questline, but I don't know if Brynjolf is 1) essential or 2) just essential to the thieves guild quests.

(Can't wait til I'm done babysitting so I can go home and check!)

Im saying, if they don't want to add choices like that then there should be a way to remove it from your quest log. Also, yes the thieves guild quess are all about stealth but the thieves guild itself is a part of the world and should not be treated as just another isolated quest.

I've tried setting him unessential but he seems to have infinite health.

I've tried setting him unessential but he seems to have infinite health.

Checked back with UESP and found your problem:

Brynjolf is not only Essential; he is totally invincible. He takes no damage, regardless of the source, and cannot be staggered or knocked back. Nevertheless, attacking him will cause him to become hostile.

In this case, I would set him as non-essential and use the console 'kill' command.

From UESP:

Kills the selected actor.

Open the console, click on the actor you want to die, type kill and press Enter, and afterward you must close the console and reopen it before the actor will die.

Some actors (primarily NPCs, not creatures) can be flagged as "essential" by the game and thus will not die. In this case, the character will instead crouch and stumble around for a while; however, this stumbling can usually be ended early by using the resurrect command on him/her

BEFORE YOU DO THIS: It is noted in the setessential command that "Using the kill command is not recommended as it gives unreliable results." Therefore before recommending this to you, I will try it out on my new character (whom I not happy with anyways and is already in Riften doing the Mara quests). If it works, I'll go through a few days gametime to see if there are any other effects (don't anticipate any). I'll get back with you on it tomorrow or so.

I GOT HIM!!! I GOT HIM!!!!!!!!! It didn't remove the quest though. I'm just happy I killed an unkillable bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banged my head against the wall a bit after your last post but he's Skeever-bait now!!!! MWA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!

I tried a lot of things, so I reloaded and did this:

setessential 0001B07D 0

killall

Yup, killed everyone in the cell (was at the inn), but he's DEAD!!! DEAD!!!!! I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(btw, most folks in the cell were tagged essential, I suppose I should have checked essential tags beforehand and made sure everyone else was covered as using the resurrect 1 command on them didn't work (looks dead with the "Talk to" option.))

Doesn't matter, I'll reload. But the bastard is DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!