What at least one modder[me] is looking for in requests

punxdog

I feel compelled to share my thoughts on this, I have done a few mods by request and want to do some more, but I think most people don't understand what we can actually do so far. As I scan over the mod requests board looking for another mod to add to my little group of mods but I often find these HUGE ideas that are really not doable until the CK is released. Sure I get it may be ideas for the future, but making a request for it now may be a little premature, as even after the CK is released it may take some time for modders [and there's quite a few waiting till its released] to learn the new scripting system. Not saying don't make those kind of requests, rather I'm saying that they won't be even consider until after the CK is out :)

You might want to know that there are 'fundamental' limitations of what can and can't be done at the moment. What generally can be done is adjusting values to things, so adding an extra spell effect to an existing item is doable, changing a creatures health is doable etc. To do these things is by making changes to the stored values in the game, this 'can' be done and reasonably easily once you get a good grasp of both how to do it and where the values are. There are limitations to this, some things don't seem to work even when changed, but it is a good presumption that if it only requires changing a value it 'can' be done.

What can also be done is bringing in more meshes, textures and changing sounds. Whilst I 'do not' do this myself but it is possible and may get you a modder wanting to do it

Anyhow, if it's balanced, it can be done and I like the idea, I'll make your mod idea and credit you as the requesterr as I like the challenge of making mods.

How about this for a (seemingly) simple mod.

Realistic weapon weights.

One hand swords 3-4 pounds, two handed swords, no more than 6 pounds. daggers one pound.

Warhammers 6-8 pounds (you try swinging an 8lb sledge hammer? not easy)

Full steel plate armour is 60 pounds: helmet (1-2lbs), armour, gauntlets(1-3lbs), boots (2-3lbs) (saw on a TV program)

Roman legionnaire's shield weighs 20 pounds (2ft x 3ft roughly) as a comparison.

Iron is heavier than steel, and not as strong, but much cheaper.

Can you add weapons that provide powers yet? I'm thinking of the Dragonsword of Lainlyn that you can acquire from Battlehorn castle near Chorrol. Gives Dragon's Breath lesser power.