How to convert textures from DX9 to DX11? SSE

Eferas

Guys , as far as my knowledge goes, there is no difference in textures between dx 9 11 0r even 12 , what changes are actual shaders featured or not in the engine that make use of the new libraries in those direct x.

Now if they added PBR thismight change some stuff like if for example they altered the way metals look then the textures of metals might look more dull if they do not have the proper maps like albedo , roughness , metallness etc instead of using the usual diffuse, normal and specular . Most are the same though as Albedo would be diffuse , normal would still be normal , what mostly would change is the reflectiveness that would be specific to metallness and roughness by material rather than all backed into the diffuse and in the specular.

But so far I read no information of sort if PBR is supported , because if it is then we coul dmake much more realistic materials.

That was useful information, thanks!

Guys , as far as my knowledge goes, there is no difference in textures between dx 9 11 0r even 12 , what changes are actual shaders featured or not in the engine that make use of the new libraries in those direct x.

Now if they added PBR thismight change some stuff like if for example they altered the way metals look then the textures of metals might look more dull if they do not have the proper maps like albedo , roughness , metallness etc instead of using the usual diffuse, normal and specular . Most are the same though as Albedo would be diffuse , normal would still be normal , what mostly would change is the reflectiveness that would be specific to metallness and roughness by material rather than all backed into the diffuse and in the specular.

But so far I read no information of sort if PBR is supported , because if it is then we coul dmake much more realistic materials.

I am really keen on some more information on this. If it's supported I'll be extremely happy. If not I hope it's somehow possible to port the PBR shaders from FO4 into SSE, even though that's probably completely beyond my area of knowledge and someone else would have to do it.

As far as I know there is no conversion needed. The problem we're having is that some landscape textures that previously didn't make use of speculars now do, and so they appear as shiny until properly added with gradient alpha. That's a much welcome feature though, if you ask me, so I can't complain about it.

I've tried a lot of old texture-mods for weapons, armor, creatures, furniture, etc in SSE with ~20 hours of playing in different environments and lighting conditions without any problems what so ever. Book of Silence, Bellyaches Animals, UNP body textures, Beards, Brows, etc, all work fine. I think you're just used to advanced ENB's that can bring out more details from the maps than the current shaders in SSE. It has nothing to do with the textures themselves. I thought at one point there were some issue with a grey shade that can appear in strong light, which I've seen others point out as well, but that's an issue with selfshadowing, not textures.

As far as I know there is no conversion needed. The problem we're having is that some landscape textures that previously didn't make use of speculars now do, and so they appear as shiny until properly added with gradient alpha. That's a much welcome feature though, if you ask me, so I can't complain about it.

I've tried a lot of old texture-mods for weapons, armor, creatures, furniture, etc in SSE with ~20 hours of playing in different environments and lighting conditions without any problems what so ever. Book of Silence, Bellyaches Animals, UNP body textures, Beards, Brows, etc, all work fine. I think you're just used to advanced ENB's that can bring out more details from the maps than the current shaders in SSE. It has nothing to do with the textures themselves. I thought at one point there were some issue with a grey shade that can appear in strong light, which I've seen others point out as well, but that's an issue with selfshadowing, not textures.

Mmh I didn't think so, but I gave it a try and I went back to the old Skyrim to give a look (it was Enderal, but it's the same), and no, the book of silence looks great in there, even without an ENB. Instead in the SE it looks bad, or more correctly, it looks out of place. I think it needs to be adapted, and looks like Cabal will most likely come back to update them, thanks god.

Mmh I didn't think so, but I gave it a try and I went back to the old Skyrim to give a look (it was Enderal, but it's the same), and no, the book of silence looks great in there, even without an ENB. Instead in the SE it looks bad, or more correctly, it looks out of place. I think it needs to be adapted, and looks like Cabal will most likely come back to update them, thanks god.

The only adaption I see necessary in Cabals case are less contrast on diffuse-maps, because his textures are very dark compared to everything else in the game, which makes them stand out and also tend to absorb some of the details. Shaders in SSE makes that more apparent in some situations compared to original Skyrim. There is however no difference to the formats and therefore no conversion or changes in workflow.

This reminds me much of how specular balance became more important back when ENB's became a thing in old Skyrim. With the default primitive shaders you could use extreme values to make details pop out more, but with ENB in the mix that could become way too bright and distracting. And so many texture-modders started to release ENB-patches with more normalized textures.

Mr. Bravo is absolutely right there.

For my own personal game I've touched up the entire AmidianBorn texture packs to have a more befitting contrast which has indeed made them blend seamlessly with the rest of Skyrim SE.

I've also applied my own custom cubemaps to all his metal retextures to help 'em shine and that's helped equally as much as the diffuse tweaks.

Can someone provide a screenshot of these shiny textures ?

I wonder if it have something to do with the green channel of some normal maps being flipped.

No, apparently they have just added specularity to landscape textures, in other words the alpha channel of the normal map. And so people who made modded landscape textures didn't include an alpha because there was no point, therefore it just defaults to 100% white and when ported to SSE it results in it being extremely shiny.

In other words mods that replace landscape textures just need specular maps made for them.