Are Mod Creators done with Original Skyrim?

lalalauncher

I tried to like SSE. I really did. But, its just, so, f*#@ing ugly.

I've heard whispers about the essentials, like SKSE and Sky UI. Apparently, it could take months, even years, to update these things. Also, Boris the ENB dev hates DX11?

I want to stick to Original Skyrim, but I'm worried that content creators are done with it and everyone will jump ship.

Thoughts?

Well some big ones will move to SSE but there are also a lot of people who hate SSE who it looks and all that. It doesnt look as good as a modded skyrim and for me a pc user the only nice thing i see is the 64bit engine. I will maybe try SSE when SKSE and SkyUi are out but for now il try to fix the original skyrm.

Nope. I never push people to endorse me, but it does provide information on, "are my mods are of interest". My DL/endorsements have not been effected by SSE, in fact, I would say they have increased. As far as I'm aware, things are status quo. Also, if you look at the steam stats page, SSE has not impacted how many people are playing Skyrim original, at all. The number of people playing original has been consistent for the last 4 years.

If there is a change, it will be a while away.

Nope. I never push people to endorse me, but it does provide information on, "are my mods are of interest". My DL/endorsements have not been effected by SSE, in fact, I would say they have increased. As far as I'm aware, things are status quo. Also, if you look at the steam stats page, SSE has not impacted how many people are playing Skyrim original, at all. The number of people playing original has been consistent for the last 4 years.

That's good to hear. However, I also hear that modding is in a slump currently, as a lot of the creators have left already.

That's good to hear. However, I also hear that modding is in a slump currently, as a lot of the creators have left already.

You will hear that, and it could be true, some youtubers will say there hasn't been a surplus of quest mods coming out too. Their are a handful of professional youtubers that do a great job, but others that are a little insulting and push some mod authors that may have made quest mods away. It's unfortunate, but from my talks with other mod authors, it seems like the mods with quests are usually the ones to be brutally criticized first. I will push on as those sorts of things don't bother me, but I can understand why some authors might throw in the towel. There are still some awesome modders that are still working on there mods for nice updates. There will always be new mods coming out and don't forget the when these people say there is a lull in quest mods, Enderal just came out not long ago and there are other teams still working on finishing. Best thing for modders and mod users to do is to be supportive to content creators. If you like x mods, send them some love, One of the things that push me to keep working on my mod is the flow of gratitude. If I only had negative comments coming in, I would stop.

I hope not. I find no redeeming qualities in the SE whatsoever (and I won't continue to rehash why over and over, because I don't like being a broken record), and at this point, I don't plan on installing mods for it.

And if mod authors abandon the original game in favor of the SE, then I'll just have to be content with the mods I have now. I know many look askance on that viewpoint, but I've spent 4 years getting the original game to look and perform the way I want it to with mods (including more than a few that are no longer available), and I just don't see the point in having to doing that all over again.

If Skyrim lives on, SE will surpass it. I don't think that SE was meant to compete with a fully mature game like the original right out of the box. But SE appears to be a better starting platform. I've been playing SE for just over a day, testing it. I won't go back to the original (although they act as two separate games, so one can play both, jumping from one to the other.)

You will hear that, and it could be true, some youtubers will say there hasn't been a surplus of quest mods coming out too. Their are a handful of professional youtubers that do a great job, but others that are a little insulting and push some mod authors that may have made quest mods away. It's unfortunate, but from my talks with other mod authors, it seems like the mods with quests are usually the ones to be brutally criticized first. I will push on as those sorts of things don't bother me, but I can understand why some authors might throw in the towel. There are still some awesome modders that are still working on there mods for nice updates. There will always be new mods coming out and don't forget the when these people say there is a lull in quest mods, Enderal just came out not long ago and there are other teams still working on finishing. Best thing for modders and mod users to do is to be supportive to content creators. If you like x mods, send them some love, One of the things that push me to keep working on my mod is the flow of gratitude. If I only had negative comments coming in, I would stop.

I think there's been some frustration with a lot of ambitious DLC-size mods coming to nothing or work slowing to a crawl. Too many people leave too many different projects, leaving them unfinished. This is just a natural function of Skyrim aging and some (but not all) people moving on.

If some of them got together and pooled their shrinking resources, they might be able to complete a big mod with decent quality. But you can't really force people to be interested in a mod they're not interested in so work stays fragmented. It's frustrating to watch, but not something a bystander really has much say about.

As for SSE, my suspicion is that it will never equal the original. You can get amazing graphics with the right mods, easily blowing away SSE if you have the rig to run the right ENB, textures, etc. and while some mods will port over to SSE, not all of them will, so there will always be less out there for SSE. On the other hand, the console crowd will have access to mods when they had access to none at all, so it's not like there's no benefit - it's just not much a big deal to us PC players.

Edited by SmedleyDButler

My modded game is where I want it to be, and if the modmakers jump ship, so be it. What is funny to me is that I have modded my game to remove most of the cheesy visual gimmicks, fog, dust, DoF, blurs, enchant glows, etc and I don't run an ENB. I would have to extensively mod SSE to remove a lot of visual effect gimmicks I simply do not care for. God Rays... ugh.

I see how long it took to get the original game to the point it can be now. I fully expect the evolution of SSE to be as long, and will lack modders who have simply moved on from the Franchise, I doubt they will be back to redo their mods regardless of SSE.

Also there is the issue of some folks, myself included, who just don't want to redo work already done. Particularly when doing it free. I just got the last Sofia update, and selfishly, would rather mod makers continue to evolve mods like this with their time, rather than spending that time converting a mod to SSE. Also, given mod dependencies, some modders will have to simply wait to see if core feature mods get redone for SSE... or create severely downgraded mods that will work within the limitations of current SSE.

Some of the better mods I have are only a few months old. I just downloaded a KS hair retexture that will have a perma place in my load order. Still a lot of good mods being made.

I highly suspect that PC users got the SSE free simply because Beth realized we have no compelling reason to purchase it. "It looks better than Vanilla and you can mod it" is not a 60 dollar argument for a PC user. The SSE has more value to the console users and I believe they were target market. What remains to be seen is if they resurrect the pay mod system for those console users.

Edited by TeofaTsavo