Question regarding NPC textures

QuantumBios

I'm new to modding Skyrim, but learning quickly.

My question is: Do I have to pick a "base" model when deciding what textures to use? I've noticed that it seems that there are two tof pick from, CBBE & UNP. However, I'm not sure what the differences are, strengths & weaknesses, etc.

I feel like I'm not understanding something. Skeletons>models>textures?

Is there a good article that explains how to set up that portion of Skyrim, as it's a bit more complex than just adding a mod like Apocalypse Magic, or A Quality World Map. I'm using NMM for the Skyrim Special Edition.

Thanks for any help in advance.

There are a articles, but you'll want to read a few of them anyway. Personally I prefer CBBE, to me it makes a good base and you can learn to use "bodyslide" app to customise the body, and armor mods that support it to fit your custom body. UNP is a good base as well, has a lot of armor mods for it, but has a lot of forks like UNP7B etc.

You'll want XP32 skeleton for either of them, install first. Although I am unsure any of this is working with SSE, and have seen reports of bugs and not working.

I have been using CBBE for ever, and I really do not know the differences with the different body types.

I do know CBBE, and Body Slide are being updated, but they could not say how long it will take.

Don't know about the other's.

For now I would pick the vanilla body. I know Body Slide has a conversion to make it CBBE compatible, but I do think it works with other body types.

Adding XP32 will be some time before it is updated. I have not checked to see if it will, or not, but since it needs SKSE, it will be a wile.

I read that a limited release of XP32 is now out for SSE. Going to install and test tonight.

I've got a mod that changes all the hairstyles for NYC, and it's cool, some look great, but others, well, not so much.

I'm looking for a way to be able to target an NPC, and edit them permanently. Not sure if that exists, still new to modding, but I'm looking.

I read that a limited release of XP32 is now out for SSE. Going to install and test tonight.

I've got a mod that changes all the hairstyles for NYC, and it's cool, some look great, but others, well, not so much.

I'm looking for a way to be able to target an NPC, and edit them permanently. Not sure if that exists, still new to modding, but I'm looking.

Yes it is, but gonna be a while before we start to see the features return, especially those HDT ones that rely on SKSE. Baby steps for the modding community at this stage.