Seriously no Assault Rifle Replacer?

Cruor34

The existence of it is explainable, however. If you look at prototypes of assault rifle designs post WW2 up to Vietnam, almost all of them are seemingly scavenged concepts and designs from WW1-WW2 guns. Especially in the cooling department, in regards to how to rapidly cool the heat from the fire rate of such weapons. If you look at the designs of the AR-15 and 10, you can see some of the bloated pieces that eventually got sleeked out a bit, even though the introductory model M-16 was still a bit goofy looking, especially for its time.

This is the same with the Kalashnikov design, where he essentially became the best taster's choice of ballistic buffet, taking what worked best from other designs and lessons, and applying them to a single product.

Also keep in mind that the post-war period we know is entirely different than that of the Fallout universe. You don't have a push for miniaturization in the tech world like you saw with real history. No major wars happened until 2052, so there goes almost every single military innovation that we saw in real history (without war lessons, you don't really have war tech advancement). We don't even know if Korean War ever happened, and certainly didn't happen the way it did in real history as the USSR and USA did not have a Cold War relationship in the Fallout universe. Instead of focusing on fighting communism through military means, the USA looks inward and develops the Commonwealth system, which means the Military Industrial Complex of the Cold War in the real world is completely negated, at least until China and the USA start fighting in the 21st century. So all that tech and hardware that came out of this never happens.

So in the end, what you have is a military arsenal that is largely based on reliable old world, old war technology that survived the century of relative peace. So when the arms race starts up, you have what actually happened in the real world when WW2 started, a lot of rookies designing and planning for a war based on the lessons of the previous. Remember how goofy looking tanks and weapons looked in the early years of WW2? You get a similar effect with Fallout weapons.

With no major wars, assault rifles really don't get a whole lot of attention, especially as nations demilitarize themselves. But all of the sudden, when wars start heating up again, you have heavily armored units, especially in power armor, so now you have a need for bigger weapons. Assault rifles could become pseudo machine guns, at this point.

Interesting ...

Would that also explain why the mini gun is freaking useless?

I don't think even consumer-based technology focus could explain how human skin is impervious to a muzzle-loaded ball, much less 6000 rounds of 7.62mm a minute.

That's just Bethesda logic for you.

Montky: Interesting. I did not know the Chinese assault rifles etc mostly replaced the assault rifle spawn. I tried the R91 (love the mod) and only a few enemies arried it, maybe I will see if I can tinker with the mod and up the spawn, and ill add a Chinese Assault Rifle, thanks.

Ethreon: I'm quite sure screens were flat, at least much more so then F03/4. Look in the Vault City, they have flat panels on the walls. Its possible I am wrong, been a loooong time since I have played. The Yakuza had blades but I do not remember any energy shotgun. Fallout 2 had a lot of real world weapons (which i liked)

Levantinium: Who's lore are you sourcing from? I don't remember reading there were no conflicts past WW2 in Fallout lore (by Black Isle) The cold war was very intense however, I am sure they would have developed new infantry weapons. Also, When the war hit, energy weapons were being field tested, they had no completely taken over, if memory servers. Not only that, but in all 5 games, (FO1, FO2, Tactics (think its non cannon) FO3, FO4) kinetic weapons were better then energy for the most part, at least in my opinion. You do bring up good points and have an interesting argument however on why weapons would be behind 2077 as we would imagine it.

Skyviper: The Minigun was amazing in Fallout 2 and Tactics, best weapon in the game, actually. In 3/4 its garbage because the people at Bethesda don't know what they are doing, simple as that. I have a mod out that makes weapon damage/enemy health/armor more balanced and realistic. When I went over the files, the amount of mistakes in the esp are mind blowing (example, higher level death claws having less HP then lower level ones) My theory is, some idiot only looked at the DPS, not factoring in enemy armor, weapon weight, ammo useage, etc. Also, they forgot to factor in the Minigun has no receiver mods. Its VERY clear, looking over the games files, they did not check their work, nor do they even care to fix it, because hey, we can do it for free. A bethesda employee could literally have fixed the minigun in a minute or 2, but they don't give a damn about their products. They build a good foundation but the house is crap, modders have to come in and fix it.

Edited by Cruor34

The Assault Rifle doesn't need a replacer so much as it needs some attention and fixes. It has potential to be a solid weapon ,and makes a lot more sense when you consider it was meant to be held by soldiers in power armor, a detail the artbook points out but the game never does. Honestly I think most of the scorn it gets is due to its name more than its function.

Levantinium: Who's lore are you sourcing from? I don't remember reading there were no conflicts past WW2 in Fallout lore (by Black Isle) The cold war was very intense however, I am sure they would have developed new infantry weapons. Also, When the war hit, energy weapons were being field tested, they had no completely taken over, if memory servers. Not only that, but in all 5 games, (FO1, FO2, Tactics (think its non cannon) FO3, FO4) kinetic weapons were better then energy for the most part, at least in my opinion. You do bring up good points and have an interesting argument however on why weapons would be behind 2077 as we would imagine it.

Sourcing from the Fallout Bible and Fallout 4. The Black Isle lore was created to leave room for later installments to insert new canon into it. So therefore, Fallout 3 and 4. Even when NMA did interviews with the creators, they said that with Fallout 2, they were adding things that they hadn't really thought of during Fallout 1's production. So the lore gets fleshed out over time, and there's no reason why it has to always remain as limited as it was for Fallout 1 and 2.

USA, Europe, Russia, China - no indication they fought any wars until 2052.

Cold War didn't happen. USSR and USA were never rivals. USA and China had doctrinal differences only, until resource wars began in 2052.

Energy weapons were standard issue for infantry by the time the US invaded Canada. US still kept large caliber weapons for things like gunships, and such, as well as miniguns. But infantry had laser rifles as standard. Fallout 1 and 2 had weapons that were clearly prototypes only, however it is mentioned that advanced models were made, they just weren't in the game. Same as game only having 1 type of rifle, but other types being only mentioned. This is more a case of limited time to create more, but it gets explained away as several different things such as what I outlined in my previous page's post, with them getting used up over time, or spread out, etc... Also it is noted that the laser weapons in 1 and 2 are weaker, civilian models than their military and police counterparts.

Some good reading:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible_0#Timeline

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible_6

Alsoplustoo:

Some screens are flat, some are not. Visually you can tell in Fallout 1 and 2. The Enclave, for example, have flat monitors all over the place, as well as the round vacuum tube'd ones as well. The shading around the big screens on the walls shows they're more round than flat. Consumer models were probably all CRT-style, or most common of them were. You can tell in the intro videos, alone.

Edited by Levantinium

Skyviper: The Minigun was amazing in Fallout 2 and Tactics, best weapon in the game, actually. In 3/4 its garbage because the people at Bethesda don't know what they are doing, simple as that. I have a mod out that makes weapon damage/enemy health/armor more balanced and realistic. When I went over the files, the amount of mistakes in the esp are mind blowing (example, higher level death claws having less HP then lower level ones) My theory is, some idiot only looked at the DPS, not factoring in enemy armor, weapon weight, ammo useage, etc. Also, they forgot to factor in the Minigun has no receiver mods. Its VERY clear, looking over the games files, they did not check their work, nor do they even care to fix it, because hey, we can do it for free. A bethesda employee could literally have fixed the minigun in a minute or 2, but they don't give a damn about their products. They build a good foundation but the house is crap, modders have to come in and fix it.

That's what I find maddening about it. I remember Fallout 1 and 2 (Tactics I used the M249 a lot) but the Avenger Mini Gun .. oh my. Life saver.

That's the down side of mod development too. If a developer knows a game can be modified well why spend the money on the effort? You have free labor. You're right about that. I can see why a lot of people wont' jump into modding this go around because they're basically doing work from someone else.

:roll eyes: But hey they have a Skyrim movie coming out ... messed up game = messed up movie in my book. If you can't do your main money making thing right...