Railroad Mod

Skyviper086

I really enjoy mods the such as Run the Lucky 38 and NVTC mod. I like these Tycoon things and I want more.

Because New Vegas reminds me of the wild west I think it would be cool if we could start a railroad company. Of course many caravan companies wouldn't like the Iron Horse business so there will be some problems from them ... or you could set up a distribution center and have the caravans go places the trains can't go. However I'm not asking that we drive the trains because that would require a crap load of animation (however if someone can do that then please go for it) I'm saying that we just lay track and be under the impression that the trains are going from here to there.

We could make deals to move passengers, troops, and supplies from there to there. There is big money to spent and big money to be had. Maybe a new town could be born at an important junction ... or a town could be killed when the trains move away.

I would really appreciate if something like this can be done.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sweet, thank you.

I was actually going around the waste and it turns out all one would have to do is find a way to put spur lines here and there and a station or two. I know way easier said than done. I also understand that having towns thrive and die depending on what railroads do is also a big undertaking if not impossible ... however one could have off the map towns that we will never see get created and die depending on railroad traffic. Maybe computer terminals could give the user a larger view of the world without them having to leave the New Vegas area via menu options and updates.

I'll just patiently wait and see what will be done ... whatever it is I'm sure it will be amazing.

Can I enquire what is: NVTC?

I thought I was familiar with all the big mods.

Gives you the possibility to play a economy simulation.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42653

Also, is it possible to make multiple NPCs move synchronously towards each other? Let's say, the wheel carts underneath the wagon are two NPCs and the third NPC, the wagon itself, uses these two carts as turning points in XYZ. That would look somewhat realistic, i think.

Edited by Doc Martiney

NPCs as train wagons? That's a rather clever idea, though I have no idea whether or not it could work... my guess is that it would. I can see two mirrored NPCs (front and back) so that the "forward" is in the right direction. Actually, it might even allow for trains to break down, crash or be attacked/derailed...

NPCs can't be animated in diagonals, though, which might be a problem. They would need to turn to face the tracks.

The biggest problems are the trains themselves, IMO. as in, getting them to move/animate properly across the wasteland and/or carrying goods and stuff. The rest of it is scripting- and there are a few mods that do similar things, like founding a town/fort, IIRC, so that should be relatively easy...

First and foremost I would like to thank you for considering this request.

I agree animating the trains is a major problem. ... Brain Flash ... the NCR monorail ... the mission where you have to disarm the bomb... that mono rail takes off and then quickly explodes... is their a way to see how they got that monorail car to move on the track?

However I'm glad the rest of it is relatively easy. For some reason I was thinking of a game I used to play Railroad Tycoon. Each town had a need and it was up the railroad to fill that need. Let's say Good Springs has too many people and needs bighorns and New Vegas is trying to get rid of big horns but needs tourists. We could ship livestock to Good Springs, and take people to New Vegas cha ching!

Of course there is competition such as caravans that might want to attack the trains. So maybe one could make a destroyed/ derailed train object and scrip it to appear when the player gets notified that a train is either under attack or has been attacked. We could go to that area and fight off whoever is there and make the lines safe again. There could be a train collision object that can appear and the player can go there and investigate what caused the collision and they can take necessary action to prevent it from happening again. Other wise we conduct business from the main office or we can have the option to get our hands dirty and do things manually at a station.

Depending on how far you'd like to go with this maybe we could have to where our actions can affect our alliance with a faction. Let's say we snub NCR and transport Legion troops, it would be like the rest of the game, the Legion will like us and the NCR will hate us. Just a thought.

Please feel to ignore the above information ...

Once again I thank you for considering this request.