Black squares on Local map

maegnuz

For a long time now, in nearly all Bethesda games, I've experienced the strangest glitch that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere else on the net.

My local map correctly maps out the places I've been to, but then sometimes as I walk around, another part of my already explored map suddenly turns into large black "unexplored" squares. (See attached screenshot). I can go there again and reexplore it, but then another part of the map will turn into a black square. Very frustrating to say the least!!

This bug has stayed with me over three different computers (completely different hardware and OS setups), and has now "transitioned" from the Fallout series, where it started, to Skyrim as well. I am at a complete loss as to what is causing it, and would be eternally grateful for a solution.

-M

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have this bug as well and it is super annoying if you like having a fully searched town map

i think it happens to me when i walk in water, or have items in water somewhere in the town

i am however unable to remove them at the moment,

i also cant figure out how to turn vsync on, i also dont know if i have it on or off in the first place....

hope this helps

edit: actually turns out it probably has nothing to do with water, it was just very coincidental...

Edited by batman12345

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I have the same problem. Oblivion and Fallout 3 have the same problem too. I used a mod with oblivion and it was handled this glitch. It was DarNifiedUI I think. But I can't find a mod for Skyrim like that. And any update didn't fix this weird glitch.

http://imageshack.us/a/img94/4928/tesv2013032417572153.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img441/4838/tesv2013032417573664.jpg

Edited by diverapo

• 8 months later...

Yep, I experienced this in Oblivion and Fallout 3 already. Don't know what causes this, but Bethesda seems to have brought this crappy bug into Skyrim as well and didn't do anything about fixing it in years. It is such a small thing, but it totally ruins the fun in exploring - and this game is mainly about exploring. So for me it nearly ruins the whole game, because I have an extremely, almost neurotic urge to unveil all areas... so this stupid bug makes me almost run amok. If anyone knows how to solve this, I'd be most grateful.