Skyrim V Oblivion

Bullybeef

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I loathe Skyrim and I love Oblivion.

Nothing about Skyrim is attractive to me. In many ways it feels more like an action game disguised as an RPG. Something about it just doesn't 'click'. (But I'm sure plenty of people feel that way about Oblivion.)

They managed to break everything I loved about Oblivion.

I'm happy that people are enjoying Skyrim...but f*** a duck, I really do hate that infernal game :down:

And can I just say how fascinated I am about the fact that you still frequent these forums, despite your obvious malcontent towards the game?

There are things in skyrim that i think are better than in oblivion. First off i hated how the characters moved and looked in oblivion, they were unatural and everyone was butt ugly and there were only like 4 voices used over and over, plus there were no children? I also hated the dungeons, they all looked the same and you had to back track to exit them. In skyrim every character is believable and unique and every dungeon is gorgeous and completely different and exciting to explore.

''Oblivion was a step in the evolution of RPG games and RPG worlds''

Correcting, ''reverse evolution''

*smashes head off desk* There is no such thing as reverse evolution. There is no such thing as devolving. There is no such thing as evolving backwards. Evolution is unidirectional. Resurgence of past traits is STILL evolution.

I fail to see why people keep saying the graphics in Skyrim are worse than in Oblivion. Thats, flat out, wrong. The colouring is different, yes. Its more muted, and in many cases borders on the monochrome (Though, considering the environment of most of the game, its appropriate 80% of the time) but its still better than Oblivion. Colour does not equal better graphics.

I don't think they're worse. But many of them aren't much better.

Absolutely the distant scenery in Skyrim shits all over the distant landscape of Oblivion.

However, the tree and shrub and grass textures in Skyrim are low quality. (Worse yet, they're bad even for their resolution. I've seen lower res stuff come up better than how Skyrim's plant textures do.) Certainly they're no worse than Oblivion...but given the years between games, they quality of a large portion of Skyrim's textures is inexcusably poor.

Now, does that alone make Skyrim a bad game? Nope. Not at all. But it certainly is disappointing. Some of the visuals come off beautifully, but take a close look at a lot of other things and they really are appalling. Would they have been appalling 6 years ago? Not so much. But to have a minimal increase in quality (in some cases NONE) between Skyrim and Oblivion is probably at least one reason why a lot of people - self included - think Skyrim looks 'bad'.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Brittainy

I loathe Skyrim and I love Oblivion.

Nothing about Skyrim is attractive to me. In many ways it feels more like an action game disguised as an RPG. Something about it just doesn't 'click'. (But I'm sure plenty of people feel that way about Oblivion.)

They managed to break everything I loved about Oblivion.

I'm happy that people are enjoying Skyrim...but f*** a duck, I really do hate that infernal game :down:

And can I just say how fascinated I am about the fact that you still frequent these forums, despite your obvious malcontent towards the game?

^ Probably due the to fact I was greatly looking forward to Skyrim and am pretty disappointed at how it turned out. Once I've vented a bit more anger, no doubt I will vanish and leave the fanboys to their unquestioning adoration :whistling:

I love the whining about graphics. It wouldn't run smoothly with anything more detailed, it would kill all consoles (as they are all several years old now hardware wise right?). If you want to complain about the PC graphics I agree...this is what happens when the console market makes up some huge percentage of the market (apparently) and making a PC version (not ported) would be too expensive...but nevermind, it's not like PC gamers were ever important anyway.

FYI: I love Skyrim, I think it's a great game in its own right, there are many things I could pick at but I'm not really going to. The game caters for a newer audience, which contains many who care not for deep RPG elements or lore-based humour etc (yes there still is lovely TES lore for those who want it, but it has been simplified overall), it attracts an action-loving audience who don't want to sit around doing arduously long quests involving their brain. Mindless entertainment is the norm nowadays (mainly for the console crowd) - and I understand this, as it simplifies gaming. Not many people want to spend 100 hours into a small section of a game when they could spend 100 hours in constant Call of Duty matches. I guess its the coming of a new age. Decent PC games are fading away...DRMs are killing PC games and companies are shutting down or moving to console-only as this is a better and more profitable market...

I understand, but I feel sad indeed.

Brittainy: Do you play Skyrim on a computer? If you do, there are tons of mods already out there that improve the look of Skyrim. Just as there were tons of mods out there that improved the look of Oblivion. While I get the reasons why Bethesda chose to make the game in monochromatic, cold, washed out palettes, I had a similar reaction to Fallout 3 which was, of course, changed by modders. Skyrim is exactly the same. My game looks vibrant and colorful and gorgeous. It's not hard to improve the look of Skyrim if you play on PC. Other than that, I consider every other visual detail of Skyrim to be superior to Oblivion, which I too, also loved. I probably logged over 1000 hours on that game. And I consider Skyrim a BIG improvement over it.

Brittainy: Do you play Skyrim on a computer? If you do, there are tons of mods already out there that improve the look of Skyrim. Just as there were tons of mods out there that improved the look of Oblivion. While I get the reasons why Bethesda chose to make the game in monochromatic, cold, washed out palettes, I had a similar reaction to Fallout 3 which was, of course, changed by modders. Skyrim is exactly the same. My game looks vibrant and colorful and gorgeous. It's not hard to improve the look of Skyrim if you play on PC. Other than that, I consider every other visual detail of Skyrim to be superior to Oblivion, which I too, also loved. I probably logged over 1000 hours on that game. And I consider Skyrim a BIG improvement over it.

Yes, I play on pc, and yes I was using enhancements as well as a few tweaks I knocked up myself.

That still doesn't change the fact Vanilla Skyrim has poor quality textures. Just because modders can and do fix these issues doesn't change the reality that Skyrim has a lot of shoddy textures which are out-dated and inexcusable for the pc version. If you port a game over to the pc, you take the time out (and it doesn't take that long to make some decent textures) and make sure that version has graphics which are appropriate to the machine they're running on.

Consoles are out of date...but ultimately that's not a legitimate excuse for the pc version to get inferior graphics.

:)

Vanilla Skyrim > Vanilla Oblivion

Modded (5+ years of mods) Oblivion > Vanilla Skyrim

Modded (5+ years of mods) Oblivion > Non CK modded Skyrim

5 years from now, Skyrim modded will blow Oblivion out the water..