Skyrim V Oblivion

Bullybeef

Oblivion was like clearing the same dungeon over and over and over again, and getting almost noting in return. After 160h in skyrim, i've never had that kind of feeling, every dungeon has been interesting. Skyrim > Oblivion

Oblivions landscape was pretty dull. In skyrim you may just stop and admire the view. Skyrim > Oblivion

Oblivion didn't have much variation in items. Every iron, every daedric, every everything in their class had same dmg or armor rating. Not much joy in exploring when you knew that there really isn't anything great to find. But in skyrim.. well, i think you understand. :tongue: Skyrim > Oblivon

Factions were better in Oblivon than they are in skyrim. DB, TG.. etc Olivion > Skyrim

Oblivions cities were better. In Oblivion, i could spent hours and hours just exploring the cities (total). Every "city" in skyrim was dissapointment for me. I didn't find them interesting at all. Oblivion > Skyrim

And many others. I'll update the list if something comes in to my mind. :wink:

Overall Skyrim is still better than Oblivion. Bethesda improved a lot of things, but sadly some things got worse.

can't wait for creation kit

Edited by AnonDraco

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would actually love that new vegas type ending for elder scrolls since I do the same thing after the main quest I end up rolling a new character. I mean writing a reaction to every event for every npc would be a ton of work even if it was only text. Throw some voice down on that and your looking for a huge amount of work. To me open ended like it is in oblivion and skyrim really is a big cop out seems like a short cut from actually writing a nice ending for the story instead of being just another quest. I mean the fallout endings gave your actions some meaning to it and were able to cover some of the what-if's.

Ever since Elder Scrolls came out i hate the term open ended. When a book is open ended when your done with the story the book is finished you need to start over. In a game though when you do hit the ending and nothing else progresses in the game world it's like a kick in the nuts. The story is over but nothing else in the world changes like it naturally should just irks me. I know I hit the ending of the game but it doesn't feel like the end because I'm still there and nothing changed. The phrase doesn't have anything to do with endings gameplay wise but how the gameplay actually is and it drives me insane.

Do me a favor and explain how text-based dialog would increase variety and immersion. To me the more reading there is when interacting with npc's the farther immersion is(just npcwise I actually like the books and notes in the game). Most of the good npc's in skyrim would have been completely broken if it had been all text. That Cicero feller would have been far less annoying as all text but it would have ripped him of that personality. He would have been the same as every other npc just dressed differently. Maybe you mean variety for quests? A badly written quest is going to be a badly written quest with or without voices. Text-based dialogue to me is less personal and does less for me then voice. (Same way with letters and text irl too) I am more apt to do quests when I hear somebody talking then just reading it. I'm more apt to actually listen and do optional objectives. It's a lot easier to show emotion through sounds then it is through text. I mean has anybody ever sent a sarcastic remark over a text message which would have been funny if it was said but made you look like a prick when written down because there was no tone to it. (not including emotes because the last thing I want to see is those things in games)

Oh and damnit jakeo I completely forgot about that I knew there was a reason I didn't back up oblivion for later use just quite yet lol. Still can't wait for that to get out seems like it will be out right when i get completely sick of skyrim

Text-based dialogue can increase variety and immersion because it allows for a LOT more options, responses and reactions compared to voice-acted dialogue. I freely admit the idea of voice-acted dialogue is nicer...but at this point in time I've yet to see enough of it - in an RPG - to really allow for a good amount of diversity.

It's a lot less effort to create large amounts of text-based dialogue than it is to have voice-acted dialogue.

The more you can have, the more options are opened up for how the people in the game world behave towards you over time. (Instead of repeating the same stuff over and over regardless of whether or not you're a hero or a nobody.)

As for personality, that's what good writing is for. A character can be incredibly unique and very much alive providing their dialogue is written by someone with a moderate amount of talent. If characters in writing were inferior to the spoken word then books would be absolutely pointless :mellow: I think characters can absolutely shine in writing.

Anyway, if you're satisfied with how things are, good for you. I just don't think voice-acted dialogue is extensive enough - at this point in time - for RPGs. :thumbsup: