Nexus Mod Manager - Why Must I Log In To Nexus To USe

mrphurious

I’ve just installed the Nexus Mod Manager and then immediately uninstalled it.

The first thing it tried to do when I ran it is one of my pet peeves for software; it demanded that I log online with my Nexus credentials, and then when I tried to bypass that, it refused to run at all.

Pointless b*llsh*t.

Why exactly must it log me in in order to be functional?

Obviously the mods that I install don’t need that, and I certainly don’t need that, which means then that it serves some other purpose for the makers of the Nexus Mod Manager.

If it was just that the program offered me the option to log in, so as to sync mod information or get updates, or even be informed of new things that might be of interest to me, I can understand that. But the fact that the program absolutely won’t run (and warns the user of this), makes it feel very much like a thinly disguised piece of spyware.

What online functions must it perform that are so critical that the creators feel that the program can’t function without them? I can think of nothing but collecting marketing data.

I’m getting tired of all the self-important software producers who consider that it is perfectly acceptable to intrude unnecessarily on my work and entertainment space whenever they feel like it in order to serve their purpose.

What a rage.

Wonder how can you ever do anything, if the one log-in in the NMM makes you that mad. Steam and similar stuff must be a big no-no for you I guess. Wonder how are you playing Skyrim.

NMM is a nice, free feature and noone forces you to use it if you don't want it, or can't use it. Can't see the problem here.

If you have it set to update the utility or mods, it needs to log in to accomplish that function [this is the default setting]. If you are using the download manager to download on a schedule, it needs this info to accomplish that task.

You can also configure it to not to do the above and it will not ask to go on line.

Convenient for most, but some see it as unnecessary. It is not required and is optional to the user.

I am NOT a fan of Steam, since it wants to run in the background and perform unnecessary calls home. I want to be in control of when and where such things happen. Not to mention it DOES force you to use it if you want Skyrim. I don't mind NMM, though, since it only does it when it makes sense and otherwise never intrudes. (Admittedly, what makes sense is a matter of personal opinion.)

I'm glad to hear it can be run without logging in, though. :) It might help to make the option for it more obvious, since I admit I had no idea it could be run offline.

• 5 years later...