Copyright violation?

tobre

Hi guys,

I'm working on a MOD to put inside Skyrim some songs from The Witcher soundtrack.

Yesterday I posted the work in progress MOD on SkyrimNexus, but many guys told me to remove it 'cause I violated copyright.

I remember that for Oblivion there was MODs with Lord of Rings, Zelda and Saint Seyia soundtracks...

I know that I don't own rights of that work, but there aren't LadyGaga or Jonas Bros songs, it's just a soundtrack of a game putted into another one... :geek:

My MOD improves the game experience with more immersive songs during battles or exploration, and I spent many hours working on it, ...I would like to share it with you.

What do you think?

:dance:

Legally if the creators find it and decide to sue skyrimnexus they can as it is their fault for hosting it unless they put a clause into their ToS stating that all uploaded files are the responsibility of the owner.

But yeah,it could get the site into a bit of trouble and as for the oblivion ones not being noticed i don't really know,the same rules still apply.

Hi guys,

I'm working on a MOD to put inside Skyrim some songs from The Witcher soundtrack.

Yesterday I posted the work in progress MOD on SkyrimNexus, but many guys told me to remove it 'cause I violated copyright.

And they were right, you can't upload any copyrighted material that you don't own or have written authorization from the copyright owner to redistribute.

I remember that for Oblivion there was MODs with Lord of Rings, Zelda and Saint Seyia soundtracks...

And those are also not legal and should be reported for removal.

I know that I don't own rights of that work, but there aren't LadyGaga or Jonas Bros songs, it's just a soundtrack of a game putted into another one... :geek:

Doesn't matter who owns the rights, you don't and do not have authorization to distribute that work.

My MOD improves the game experience with more immersive songs during battles or exploration, and I spent many hours working on it, ...I would like to share it with you.

What do you think?

:dance:

Well, thats pretty subjective and debatable whether swapping The Witcher music into Skyrim makes the game more immersive, I certainly think the opposite.

The bottom line is, you can't do things like this be it music or other game assets, no matter how proud you are of your achievement. You will have to enjoy it privately. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sunnie

Anything that was not made by you and is not extremely old should be considered copyrighted. Pictures, music (of any form), video, even text is copyrighted and you can get in big trouble if you share it.

Legally if the creators find it and decide to sue skyrimnexus they can as it is their fault for hosting it unless they put a clause into their ToS stating that all uploaded files are the responsibility of the owner.

But yeah,it could get the site into a bit of trouble and as for the oblivion ones not being noticed i don't really know,the same rules still apply.

Actually currently the creators can not sue skyrimnexus. They CAN sue the person who uploaded it. Basically the law acknowledges that websites that allow people to upload cant always make 100% sure that the uploaded material is not infringing copyright and so it lets the site itself off the hook so long as they do not encourage breaking copyrights.

There however is legislation that is going through the Senate right now that will remove that protection and allow content creators to take down any sites that have copyrighted material on it without much oversight called SOPA. If it passes you can say good by to any site that allows user uploads.

There however is legislation that is going through the Senate right now that will remove that protection and allow content creators to take down any sites that have copyrighted material on it without much oversight called SOPA. If it passes you can say good by to any site that allows user uploads.

Nexus Sites are hosted in the UK, i dont think the US can take down sites located in other countries. But I am no expert so I may be wrong.

Furthermore, hosting copyrighted content may be violating UK law anyway.

Edited by Kyuubi no Youko

Nexus sites are hosted in both US and UK. And the ravenous bottom feeding copyright lawyers can sue anyone they want to. Whether it will fly in court or not is another matter. They would much rather you pay them blood money to drop the suit - often it's cheaper than defending yourself in court.

As The Nexus does not have a dozen high paid lawyers on staff to defend against the copyright troll lawyers. Our policy is to ban copyright infringers whenever they are found.

If we do get sued, we just throw the person who broke our rules and uploaded the copyrighted material to the lawyers as a peace offering. If we can show a good faith effort to keep copyrighted stuff away, maybe they will lay off. In order to show that good faith, we ban copyright infringers and remove the content whenever we find it. :thumbsup:

If you don't have the lawyers, or plenty of money to defend - whether you are in the right or not - I recomend not uploading or even talking about uploading copyrighted material either here or on any other site. :whistling: