Nord Sword

Nazo365

Not done texturing this baby yet, but i just finished the modeling portion and thought i might share. I wanted to created a truly bad ass Nord Hero Great-sword (or 1h Sword) since i started playing a 2handed Warrior style class (Nord Race of course), and found myself wanting to wield something more Nord like then a Deadric Great-sword. So i sat down and drew this up.

Concept Art

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/7130/nordsword.jpg

Then 2 days later i finished the 3ds Max modeling of it

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1129/sword6.jpg

and a full view

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7744/sword5n.jpg

I'm obsessed with Big horn sheep horns so i kinda used that style of horn with my own twist on it, then gave it a Face which just kinda happened when i started designing it, added some crazy teeth to palish off the look and feel and carved in (Celtic/Viking) Runes along the Blade witch hold the code in-which my character plays by. LIFE - to protect and server with my Life, BLOOD - To Fight tell you can't Fight anymore, BONE and SINEW - The Tools in-which i use to dispatch my enemies, and HONOR - To server my People nobly.

Edited by Nazo365

I'll be honest, I didn't expect to find anything but a misplaced request when I opened this, but I'm impressed. People like you make me want to start 3d modeling and texturing. Maybe you could go all in and make race specific weapons for each race, that'd be awesome. You could add in a few, possibly unmarked, quests to obtain instructions and be able to craft them, or maybe only that race could craft it? Alternatively, a racial crafting perk would be cool too.

I'll be honest, I didn't expect to find anything but a misplaced request when I opened this, but I'm impressed. People like you make me want to start 3d modeling and texturing. Maybe you could go all in and make race specific weapons for each race, that'd be awesome. You could add in a few, possibly unmarked, quests to obtain instructions and be able to craft them, or maybe only that race could craft it? Alternatively, a racial crafting perk would be cool too.

I know right, personally the first time I played through i was a Bosmer rogue (as i like to call them a Bow Assassin) And was remarkably unimpressed with the lack of Bow choices Skyrim offered (granted we are not in Valenwood). After all its ALL OVER Elder Scrolls lore that Bosmer are THEE best archers in all of Tamriel yet they don't even have a bow designed after them. I do actually have a Bosmer bow in the Works but I've grown tired of playing my Bosmer since she's lvl 60 and basically has everything you could want or need lol. Game gets kinda boring when your that High and you 1-2 shot everything (except dragons and no i don't use the bull shiz BS - Achlemy - Enchanting exploit to get godly weapons cuz that imo just brakes the game. If there's no challenge then why play.)

I really wanted to play a 2handed Warrior class and decided to play a Nord since Skyrim is Rich with Nord lore and is after all there homeland. But then was disappointed when the only Weapons and armor in the game that even came CLOSE to anything a true Nord would wear was the Steal armor and weapons, witch is nice when i first started the charactor but by lvl 17 on master you start to feel your armor slipping and your weapons seem to take 4-5 hits to kill something and when your fighting 2-3 Draugr at the same time that could mean your death. So i started this little project of mine and honestly i didn't think I'd get any replay's so thank you.

The next step will be a Nord Hero Armor =). Have to say tho putting my weapon into skyrim its self was an eye opener, nothing motivates you like seeing something you created use to cut off some poor mages head lol.

I also named the Sword -- Fjorsavfi -- witch means Live-Taker in Viking apparently, idk i'll take the sites word for it but the unusual placement of the "J" looked like a lot of the Nord names in Skyrim so I rolled with it.

Edited by Nazo365

This is a great start Nazo! The sword has a great amount of detail in it and the design has a lot of interest to it. I will say that this model looks incredibly poly heavy. I'd highly suggest you reduce the poly count to make it less wasteful on the system resources. You can achieve the same result with all the fine details you crafted into the hilt with a normal map and make the model of those areas flat or at least dramatically fewer polygons. The only other thing I see is that your proportions are off from your concept. It could be just the render itself of the whole sword but it looks like you made the hilt a lot bigger than the blade in comparison to your concept.

Overall - good design, good execution, you just need to reduce your poly count but sculpt those fine details into a normal map.

The only other thing I see is that your proportions are off from your concept. It could be just the render itself of the whole sword but it looks like you made the hilt a lot bigger than the blade in comparison to your concept.

Overall - good design, good execution, you just need to reduce your poly count but sculpt those fine details into a normal map.

The proportions of the handle to the sword length is the exact same as the concept art since i used a Plane with this same Drawing mapped to it; to model the sword =), but yah i guess the rendering gives it an odd Proportion, must be a max thing because i have this one View as if your looking down the length of the sword blade from the handle and proportionally the blade is supposed to get "smaller" the further away it is but for some reason max decided to make it larger lol... I'll post the picture bellow.

As for the poly count yah...This one is poly heavy since it was going up on the forums with no Texture i dropped a Mesh Smooth on it to hide the Flaws that would otherwise be covered with a Texture. lol so yah this picture is about 123K poly >.< the actual non smoothed version is about 8K still a little high but I've gone though it twice and i just couldn't bring my self to drop anymore. Truth be told i tried to export this high poly version as a nif just to see what would happen...and it actually froze Max, had to crtl alt del - End program it lol.

As far as the normal map goes I've never done one, this is like the 4th Time I've model a weapon in max and the other 3 where Low low poly, Flat texture maps for my portfolio when i graduated college 5 years ago >.<. I haven't used Max for something like this in at least 3 years so I'm still trying to get used to this Low poly stuff lol. The kind of work i do with Max I'm not limited to how my polygons i can use so i usually go photo real quality right off the starting block.

Weird 3ds Max proportions >.<

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7643/weidsword.jpg

Edited by Nazo365

The screen you posted looks like you're working in Orthographic view. Try switching to perspective, hit "P" in your view port, and "O" switches you back to Ortho. Then rerender that bad boy.

Also 8k polys for a weapon is pretty significant. I think you can probably get away with it here because its first person and the character isn't on the screen at that point. For those that play 3rd person 8k is a little overkill. I've made entire characters with less than 4k polys. Granted systems these days can handle it but there's no need to waste polys if you don't need to.

Keep at it though, this could be a great piece.

Your right tho, idk why it never dawned on me. I usually only use Front and Left side views when i model and just hit Crtl-R if i need a different view.

but here's a Render from Perspective view port

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4817/perspectivez.jpg