FXAA Injector Issues + Major Lag Caused by d3d9.dll File

iKimberly

Okay, there may be a thread for this or a post somewhere but I didn't check so.. don't yell at me if this has been asked and solved for someone already. :P

When I installed Skyrim the game was running like absolute garbage. It was so slow and choppy, even on bare minimal settings. If I set the game to ultra the game looked nicer but still ran like garbage. I didn't know what to do and I don't even remember how I stumbled upon this but I deleted the d3d9.dll file in my Skyrim directory and the game suddenly ran like melted butter on a naked baby's bum. It was weird. No lagging, no choppiness, just completely smooth and quick running game playing. And a few people that I have talked to and gone to for help about this mentioned they don't have a d3d9.dll file in their Skyrim directory, but they did have one in their DirectX10 folder in the dxnt.cab file.

So FXAA injector stuff started popping up and I was interested in it so I downloaded a few files from Nexus to try it out. I started with the FXAA Injector installer and went with preset 1. A d3d9.dll file was placed in my Skyrim directory after it finished installing. Sure enough, putting that, along with the rest of the files in one of the mods made the visual changed but once again the game was running like... uhg! Just really, really poorly.

I'm still at this dilemma. And it seems to be that its just this bloody d3d9.dll file causing trouble and it's pure rubbish! Does anyone know why this is happening and if there is a way to fix it? I mean I can live without it, I have been since the end of November, but I would like to experience some of these FXAA Injectors goodness if I can. I have even tried installing some of the FXAA mods but deleting the d3d9.dll file then playing, but the visual enhancements don't trigger.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am muchly curious why I am experiencing this issue and what I can do to solve it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having the exact same problem, and I have asked about it several times. No one will ever address the issue, seems like they are just ignoring us :/

EDIT: I've looked more into it. The problem is caused because we have Nvidia Optimus Graphics, when the d3d9.dll is in the Skyrim directory the Optimus Graphics try to run it with the integrated intel graphics card, which sucks. It won't even detect your Nvidia card, it seems that Optimus technology does not support d3d9.dll files and for some reason Nvidia has yet to address this issue. No one has been able to find a fix so far. We will just have to wait until Nvidia updates this stupid Optimus technology where we will be able to use the d3d9.dll with our optimized graphics card.

Edited by BearCommander

I remember having problem with this too. Except for me, I couldnt even launch the game. Try deleting the d3d9.dll file, and running. Lag should go away.

If that doesn't work, try using a different FXAA mod or maybe an ENB mod. I use ENB Dark and it looks amazing. Much better than FXAA imo.

I only get any lag when I have the d3d9.dll file in my Skyrim directory. Without it the game runs super smooth and is fine and has been fine for a while now. But to use any of the FXAA mods or even the ENB mods I need that stupid d3d9.dll file in the directory or they don't work and that is when the lag starts.

I only get any lag when I have the d3d9.dll file in my Skyrim directory. Without it the game runs super smooth and is fine and has been fine for a while now. But to use any of the FXAA mods or even the ENB mods I need that stupid d3d9.dll file in the directory or they don't work and that is when the lag starts.

Hmm, try deleting anything related to the FXAA mod. Revalidating the game files through steam (right click on game in library ->properties->local files->verify integrity of game files). Try running the game and see how smooth it is. Reinstall FXAA and see what happens. If it doesn't work, it might just be your rig. Im not sure though, because Im not a computer-hardware pro.

• 3 months later...

I'm surprised that so many clueless people haven't gotten help.

There are two reasons you are getting the lag. 1)Your computer cannot handle the added shaders on top of Skyrim. The mod only works with the d3d9.dll installed. Of course when you take it away, thus disabling the mod, your frame rate improves and the effects don't appear.

2) It is like has been said, and you have an nVidia Optimus laptop and the integrated graphics card is running the game when you try to use the FXAA injector.

If 2) is the case, then ENB just released a version that can run with Optimus. http://enbdev.com/mod_tesskyrim_v0105.htm

I realize this thread is a little old, but it surely hasn't run its proper course.

I'm surprised that so many clueless people haven't gotten help.

There are two reasons you are getting the lag. 1)Your computer cannot handle the added shaders on top of Skyrim. The mod only works with the d3d9.dll installed. Of course when you take it away, thus disabling the mod, your frame rate improves and the effects don't appear.

2) It is like has been said, and you have an nVidia Optimus laptop and the integrated graphics card is running the game when you try to use the FXAA injector.

If 2) is the case, then ENB just released a version that can run with Optimus. http://enbdev.com/mod_tesskyrim_v0105.htm

I realize this thread is a little old, but it surely hasn't run its proper course.

my laptop is running this optimums bulls*** and now i just try the this new enb patch, and WOOOOW it works!!!!! since the day i bought this laptop and try to run gta4 with enb but no hope and now skyrim. finally i can run enb with a good fps. Still this patch is experimental and not aim for quality but thanks for the help bro!!