Removing quests?

NocturneNight

Greets. I'm wondering if it's possible to remove active quests in order to restart them? I have this mod called "Higher Thieves' Guild fences" which increases the amounts needed in the Independent Thievery quests. Problem is, I manually edited the records and now the game just skipped the quest. I didn't understand until after I had accepted the second TG quest "Untaxing the Poor", and now I can do all commission jobs without even fencing anything! So, I want to remove/restart this quest so I can get the independent Thievery quest working again before I start on the TG storyline.

Quest stages only go forward and never backward. So if you are at stage 15, you can never get back to stage 5. It is possible that with some quests, you could go back and do a missed earlier quest even though you are on a later quest. But depending on how the quest was set up, dialog options may no longer be available, and the coding may have executed the StopQuest command on the quest.

So you will probably need to remove the mod causing the problem and start a new character or load an old savegame from before you skipped the quest.

The above information is most applicable to vanilla Oblivion. If you had a problem with quest stages in a quest mod, you could just deactivate the mod and get a clean save, and then reactivate the mod. Then you could start the mod over again and hopefully have things go right.

Quest stages only go forward and never backward. So if you are at stage 15, you can never get back to stage 5. It is possible that with some quests, you could go back and do a missed earlier quest even though you are on a later quest. But depending on how the quest was set up, dialog options may no longer be available, and the coding may have executed the StopQuest command on the quest.

So you will probably need to remove the mod causing the problem and start a new character or load an old savegame from before you skipped the quest.

The above information is most applicable to vanilla Oblivion. If you had a problem with quest stages in a quest mod, you could just deactivate the mod and get a clean save, and then reactivate the mod. Then you could start the mod over again and hopefully have things go right.

I've already spent well over 70 hours playing this character , so starting again is not an option. :P Very foolish of me to just forget about the mod. >< But what's done is done and there has to be a way to get the Independent Thievery quest working again (i.e. so that the game start recognizing the stolen amounts of goods, because right now it just skips them saying immediately "I have reached my goal. I have fenced over 10000 worth of goods-" bla bla even though I haven't sold anything!).

Please help, I'm at my wits' end here. I don't care about the first quest, I just need to get the independant thievery quest back into working order. Right now, I can do all commision jobs without fencing anything; the quest doesn't even update itself. I have no idea what's wrong; all I changed was the amounts required. I will not abandon a character I have spent 70+ hours on because of ONE quest isn't working. There has to be some way to get it in sync with the TG quests again. :(

I don't think that with your problem you will be able to use console codes and tweaks to get your game back on line. It could be a big modding task for a quest-coder/scripter to build a custom special purpose mod for you to use on your one bad savegame. The mod would be practically useless to anyone else in any other situation, and the download count of the mod would be so low that it would be hard to find a quest-coder willing to spend time to build it.

If you know how to quest-code, you could just fire up the CS and go in there and change conditions, and if necessary, duplicate and rebuild a second copy of the missed quest and expand conditions if necessary so that the voiced dialog will still work even if you have to add replacement NPCs. But if you know how to do all that stuff, then you probably wouldn't have this discussion thread.

Theoretically, you could simply load Oblivion.esm in the CS, tag the guild quests with the Delete marker, then save it as an esp.

Enable that, load your game, save it, exit, deactivate the esp and reload your game.

In theory this would work. I don't know if Oblivion actually does remove invalid quest data from savegames or not. You might also need to modify any global variables that the quests set in order to move you down the quest line or change the world (though I'm pretty sure they use each other as conditions, i.e. if quest1 is in its ending stage enable quest2), as well as modify your guild rank if it was changed after the quest you skipped.

As said above, for the mod that expands on the quests, just create a clean save (deactivate mod, load and save game, reactivate mod). Invalid scripts and variables are cleared from savegames, so this (should) reset it.

Doing both would mean you'd have to start over in the guild quests, but at least you wouldn't have any botched variables and (hopefully) quest stages flying around.

I don't think that with your problem you will be able to use console codes and tweaks to get your game back on line. It could be a big modding task for a quest-coder/scripter to build a custom special purpose mod for you to use on your one bad savegame. The mod would be practically useless to anyone else in any other situation, and the download count of the mod would be so low that it would be hard to find a quest-coder willing to spend time to build it.

Sadly it's not just one save, it's all of them. Since I've had problems with my memory causing crashes on this computer (fixed it a week ago or so), I have gotten into the habit of saving often, in multiple slots. Thus, all of my ~20 saves are close to eachother, and all of them have the "bad" quest - I did not think it was bugged until it was too late since my last char wasn't even in the Thieves' Guild and I had forgotten all about the Independent Thievery quest. ><

But ofc I am not expecting anyone to build me a mod; I'm just looking for advice, see if I can't fix it myself as you mentioned.

If you know how to quest-code, you could just fire up the CS and go in there and change conditions, and if necessary, duplicate and rebuild a second copy of the missed quest and expand conditions if necessary so that the voiced dialog will still work even if you have to add replacement NPCs. But if you know how to do all that stuff, then you probably wouldn't have this discussion thread.

I'm not sure what exacly you mean by "coding"; I have manually edited the quest and the quest script, if that's what you mean. Problem is the stages seem to have already triggered, as you said before, and I can't get back to the previous stages. I am guessing I am having this problem because I fenced some goods to Mannheim Maulhand (One of the few non-TG npcs that accepts stolen goods), so when I then joined TG (Thieves' Guild), I had already reached the appropriate stages. I have investigated it abit and it seems like it is only first 2 quests which remain completed; everything from Adharjis Heirloom and later seem to require me to fence goods, as intended. I guess I can live with that, however it's not fun that I can so easily accept and advance so fast in the beginning.

Theoretically, you could simply load Oblivion.esm in the CS, tag the guild quests with the Delete marker, then save it as an esp.

Enable that, load your game, save it, exit, deactivate the esp and reload your game.

In theory this would work. I don't know if Oblivion actually does remove invalid quest data from savegames or not. You might also need to modify any global variables that the quests set in order to move you down the quest line or change the world (though I'm pretty sure they use each other as conditions, i.e. if quest1 is in its ending stage enable quest2), as well as modify your guild rank if it was changed after the quest you skipped.

As said above, for the mod that expands on the quests, just create a clean save (deactivate mod, load and save game, reactivate mod). Invalid scripts and variables are cleared from savegames, so this (should) reset it.

Doing both would mean you'd have to start over in the guild quests, but at least you wouldn't have any botched variables and (hopefully) quest stages flying around.

This might just work! It's definately worth a shot. The globals seem to only concern the conditions when it comes to killing someone on the job (which is forbidden) etc, so I don't think it should be a problem.

I'm gonna try this out etc but thank you both for your earnest advice. Oblivion is an extraordinary game, IF you can get everything to work, that is. ;) The TESnexus has helped me get back on track several times now, so thanks for your help. Kudos.

Hmm, I guess I also need to reset the amount fenced, if that's even possible. The only thing that searching turned up was to use the "SetSoldStolenAmount" integrer, but that doesn't work for me. I'm not even sure if it's a valid command.

Edited by NocturneNight