Skyrim - not so much free choice as I hoped

ginnyfizz

Just responding to the title and first post, not bothering to read the rest

If you want the ultimate RPG experience, a world that completely reacts to you, the options available being only limited by your imagination... you want Dungeons and dragons

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree some quests are very restrictive but then again, the game offers quite immersive gameplay. So immersive that each guild doesn't really care about each other. I mean, for instance, I joined Legion and killed hundreds of Stormcloaks but when I enter Windhelm, the soldiers acts like nothing happens although I'm already one of top legion soldiers now.

Are we really such a minority that profits for a game developer would go down?

There are tremendeous amounts of money involved. I understand the need to find a large audience. It doesn't do the "art" any good though, since that really means producing something that the drooling idiot can play. What I don't understand though is the so called streamlining, since the idiot can leave certain elements out if things get too complicated. A player looking for quality on the other hand can't add what isn't there to begin with.

Another atrocious element being introduced with the use of online services are the achievements. They of course attract a totally wrong sort of crowd - at least when it comes to RPGs. I for one never once looked at any achievements in any kind of game.

So even if Beth goes one way, I still appreciate the stage setting and exposure and am excited for what's to come next from maybe a just now forming developer who gets it.

...trying to be optimistic...

But it won't happen, since independant developers are a thing of the past. Large corporations have swallowed up nearly each and every company worth buying. And their credo is "looking for the COD crowd".

Yeah, same here about achievements. I get why they exist in games I don't play and they make sense in those games. Not a bad idea, really. In most games I do play, like say from BioWare, that also have achievements, I just ignore them and no biggy, not for me. But here, in Skyrim, I feel like someone just put ketchup on my salmon steak.

I'm still a bit more optimistic, tho not holding my breath and taking potions, when it come to the gaming industry. New developers who have success are always bought up, but that also encourages more new developers. The industry is in a growth cycle, so this is normal to see lots of merging and umbrella corps forming. New money looking to strike it big are enticed to start new companies to later sell. It's when the new companies stop emerging that you have reason to believe the business cycle is in a downward phase or about to collapse.

obviously some of you dont read english that well...i missed the point... how? and i have over 100 hours in the game so no i didnt just finish it and move on... im level 53 maxed out most of my perks, have almost every shout and the only reason i have stopped playing is i have 5 missions which have bugged out on me... if you want to moan about something moan about the bugs rather than having a go at bethista for not giving you everything and forcing you to work for it...

the point is if you dont work for a faction you cant have the factions reward. if you find you cant enter a tomb because you dont have the factions mission then go join it. thats what they are there for...

if there were no faction missions then the game would have been seriously short, and just because bethista say its open ended doesnt actually mean there wont be some sort of linearity that force you make decisions

as for the members attitudes?, grow up... not every 1 is here to troll.

if you want to moan about something moan about the bugs rather than having a go at bethista for not giving you everything and forcing you to work for it...

Talk about not reading english so well. :facepalm:

Working for it isn't the issue - it's not working for it.

Keep up the good work anyway. :thumbsup:

obviously some of you dont read english that well...i missed the point... how? and i have over 100 hours in the game so no i didnt just finish it and move on... im level 53 maxed out most of my perks, have almost every shout and the only reason i have stopped playing is i have 5 missions which have bugged out on me... if you want to moan about something moan about the bugs rather than having a go at bethista for not giving you everything and forcing you to work for it...

the point is if you dont work for a faction you cant have the factions reward. if you find you cant enter a tomb because you dont have the factions mission then go join it. thats what they are there for...

if there were no faction missions then the game would have been seriously short, and just because bethista say its open ended doesnt actually mean there wont be some sort of linearity that force you make decisions

as for the members attitudes?, grow up... not every 1 is here to troll.

No need to be so darned rude when making your point. English is my native tongue, thanks very much, which I could read and write from an exceptionally early age, and at the age of 50 I consider myself to be already grown up. When you are using the first person singular by the way, English is almost unique in requiring a capital "I" for it. Just a note for the future.

I shall feel free to moan about the lame aspects of the game that I don't like and that don't make sense. If the game can make certain artifacts turn up in random places, then it wouldn't have been too difficult to have alternate locations for the Word Walls. And the faction quest that I have complained about IS bugged - for some people, Lycanthropy can only be cured by the console.

My latest character finally became a werewolf last night. Not sure how we feel about it yet, being dragonborn and all. What's next? Do I have to have sex with Aela?

ginnyfizz, my character is also a female Breton. Her biggest problem with werewolves is that they're all ugly beast (same with wolves of Skyrim) instead of being beautiful creatures like the wolves her guardian angel sees in his world. When she changed, her lovely red hair turned all black and mangled.

Your Breton does have a noble goal of learning all dragon shouts and all three words for each and it's admirable she is willing to work harder toward that goal. However, might that be just a tad bit "achievement" oriented? I'm not saying it is and am really asking. I think the answer depends on the lore of Skyrim. Should the dragonborn know all shouts? None of the dragons are that literate even in their own tongue. Is the dragonborn smarter and better than dragons at shouting? If your character is being realistic and true to the lore in her personal quest, then I agree that you should be able to find a way, werewolf or not.

For me, so far, the Companions quest line never felt forced on my character. So I wouldn't list it as one of those. I just don't get why werewolves and dragons are in the same game; something that seemed odd to me in Dragon Age, as well. Vampires shouldn't be here either, IMO.

No, her quest is nothing to do with achievements as such, but to do with her being, as well as stealthy and a good archer, brains rather than brawn type of character with a thirst for knowledge, she does aim to do everything that she does well. So perfecting her knowledge fits with the type of character she is,wanting to out dragon the dragons.