Help an idiot, please! [Frame rate issues.]

FinneganFach

The shadows are a big part of what taxes the system for this game. Setting shadow quality and distance on High delivers very similar results visually with Ultra, while at better performance. I have a GTX 980 that's overclocked, and it still gets bogged down by this game. I tried out the Ultra Godrays fix mod, but it actually didn't seem to make a noticeable difference for me.

The biggest problem with this game is just different zones. If you walk around in Downtown Boston, you're going to get lower FPS no matter what. My 8-core i7 just won't put up with it. Even on lower settings, it's just too much going on in some of these cells.

Edited by Levantinium

FinneganFach-

My desktop specs are similar to your laptop: i7-6700 3.5Ghz, 48GB RAM, EVGA GTX 1070 SC, Two SSDs and a couple of M.2 SSDs. I was devastated the first time I booted FO4 after installing the 1070 and saw no frame rate improvement.

I took a few days of research, trying some texture replacements and tweaking but I’m now able to consistently get 45-50fps with almost all settings at Ultra in most parts of downtown Boston. I do get dips into the mid-to low 30s occasionally but just for a few seconds. I think it’s a combo my my ENB preset (Decent) and a large variety of texture replacements, namely all of the Vivid Fallout series. I also have the shadow distance set to medium. Anything higher, I get huge frame rate loss. I use the Ultra Quality God Rays Performance Fix batch file (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15211/?) and it made a huge difference for me. Definitely try some new textures if you haven’t already...you should at least see a modest boost.

I’ll echo what other have said about the resolution you play at. I use a 23" 1080p Asus G-Sync monitor at 144hz. Using G-Sync seems to make a big difference for me and I think might be part of the high performance I have been getting. If your laptop display supports it, give it a shot. If not, you might try using Fast Sync if you haven't already. I think it’s only supported by the 10-series Nvidia cards so you should have it. It essentially has the effect of running the game with V-sync turned off but without the screen tearing. Frame rates go through the roof for me with it turned on.

A word of caution using either of those however. The game engine freaks out with frame rates too much over 60. Physics get really wonky. I can’t use both together. With Fast Sync, shooting an enemy sends them flying to the Capital Wasteland. Lock picking is sped up about 10 times making it difficult, and interior cells will make you run way too fast to control your character well, and NPC lip sync gets really awful. Using G-Synch only gives me the moving too fast in an interior cell issue. But give either of those a shot and compare it to what you’ve been getting and go from there.

Just my 2 caps worth...hope some of it helps.