Tinned Warlock

Kazakovich

I really like the different spells and magic-schools in Skyrim. Nothing quite like Palpatine-lightning giant spiders to death, just to ressurect their corpse to sick it at its mates. However, I also very much like the various heavy armours, the smithing and the one-handed weapons. So, I want to make a character that combines the two, a tinned Warlock, for short. Can the two meet halfway?

My plan is to make a heavy armour battlemage, putting skillpoints in both magic skills like Conjuration and Destruction as well as some decent warrior skills, like one-handed weapons and heavy armour. However, I'm not sure what heavy armour and the likes would do to my magic skills, or vice versa.

My question is, can it work? Or will I just gimp myself to Helheimr if I try?

It should work. That's one of the preset combos described in the strategy guide.

Taking heavy armor perks will detract from how many magic perks you can get, though. So you'll have to plan ahead and choose perks wisely for maximum playability. I know one perk the guide highly recommends for a battlemage is Juggernaut.

There is what, 80 perk points in the game? 80 or 81. You can pretty much get a full out warrior and a full out mage at once, without too much drawback.

But, since I doubt you want to grind your way to the highest levels, you can easily focus on 5-6 areas to spend your perks. I would go somewhere like:

Heavy armor

1 handed/2 handed weapon kind of your choice

destruction

Conjuration

Enchanting

Smithing

Basically you'd need to collect tons of souls as early as possible, and enchant your gear with either less-mana cost of X school or mana regen. This is because robes usually got 100%+ mana regen stat, but no heavy armor got it. Being a mage without mana regen/mana is not going to go well. I would not recommend to abuse enchanting to get 100% less mana on Destruction and Conjuration. That basically turns you to a warrior with spells that cost nothing. It kind of ruins the fun of a battlemagish character.

You could also drop smithing if you feel lucky, and don't want dragon armor. This is because dadreic stuff start to drop at 40ish, albeit rarely. It does make it more rewarding to explore though ;)

So, TL;DR: Yes, it's possible. Just get the most vital perks first, and move your way down untill you got your build.