"Romance Mod" (if you are into modding, please read this!)

NathanRyan

Maybe have multiple approaches?

You can be a stalker, a casonova, or just a white knight to the person. :D

Like, maybe help an NPC with a quest and show your interest or keep helping them until they show interest. You can ask them out on a "date" to the local tavern, give them gifts that they would like. Protecting them. Once you "initiate" a romance, they will be attacked by your enemies and you have to defend them.

Uh...

You can stalk them and, some, will enjoy it while others won't. You have to know about them by either talking to them on dates/stalking.

Uh... yeah. :D

I can write stories but not dialogue so I have no clue how much help that'd be for a game based on dialogue.

Maybe have a love rival, aka, someone else who lusts after your love or your love is infatuated with another so you have to "persuade" the rival one way or another.

For example, sock him/her in the face until they go away, murder them. pay them off (might not work if they are really in love with the other), etc...

If your spouse finds out, they might either like that side of you or hate you for it so you'd have to be sneaky. :D Different approaches for different NPCs based on how they are (that's where talking/stalking can come in again)

i like the idea of different approaches, but how could you possibly win over the "romancable" by stalking them? would they eventually enjoy the attention? seems like with that line, you're taking one step forward and two steps back. however i do like the idea and would love to hear more if you were so inclined?

Sorry was editing it constantly instead of posting it all at once.

Basically, yes, some "enjoy it". Mostly, though, it's to gather intel on what they like (if they visit a certain sword, talk to a certain person a lot, etc... you can use that as a gift idea/ in conversation).

But the main point was multiple approaches. Might not have been a perfect example, but this was off the top of my head as I was watching a movie. :P

@@@@@

Here's the edited part that I added afterwards:

You can take your spouse out on dates post-marriage and just live like a couple if you wish. They will have a job and won't magically spawn money as they sit at home eating bread 24/7...

You have to come home and give them some of the money you both made to take care of the house.

If you neglect them too much or mistreat them (aka hit them all the time), they can run away, ask for a divorce, try to kill you the next time you sleep/call dark brotherhood/come at you with a cleaver.

---

Uh... the romance also might never "end". You have to look out for rivals and your enemies wanting to do your spouse harm. They can be "taken captive" by bandits and you have to rescue them.

And, if they die, a courier tells you the bad news or you find the body, and you get a new quest.

You have a choice to either exact revenge or forgive the killer/killers and then proceed to either delve into necromancy in hopes of reviving your love or just forgot or some type of quest to ensure his/her spirit is at rest.

Edited by phantur

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe have multiple approaches?

You can be a stalker, a casonova, or just a white knight to the person. :D

Like, maybe help an NPC with a quest and show your interest or keep helping them until they show interest. You can ask them out on a "date" to the local tavern, give them gifts that they would like. Protecting them. Once you "initiate" a romance, they will be attacked by your enemies and you have to defend them.

Uh...

You can stalk them and, some, will enjoy it while others won't. You have to know about them by either talking to them on dates/stalking.

Uh... yeah. :D

I can write stories but not dialogue so I have no clue how much help that'd be for a game based on dialogue.

Maybe have a love rival, aka, someone else who lusts after your love or your love is infatuated with another so you have to "persuade" the rival one way or another.

For example, sock him/her in the face until they go away, murder them. pay them off (might not work if they are really in love with the other), etc...

If your spouse finds out, they might either like that side of you or hate you for it so you'd have to be sneaky. :D Different approaches for different NPCs based on how they are (that's where talking/stalking can come in again)

i like the idea of different approaches, but how could you possibly win over the "romancable" by stalking them? would they eventually enjoy the attention? seems like with that line, you're taking one step forward and two steps back. however i do like the idea and would love to hear more if you were so inclined?

Sorry was editing it constantly instead of posting it all at once.

Basically, yes, some "enjoy it". Mostly, though, it's to gather intel on what they like (if they visit a certain sword, talk to a certain person a lot, etc... you can use that as a gift idea/ in conversation).

But the main point was multiple approaches. Might not have been a perfect example, but this was off the top of my head as I was watching a movie. :P

@@@@@

Here's the edited part that I added afterwards:

You can take your spouse out on dates post-marriage and just live like a couple if you wish. They will have a job and won't magically spawn money as they sit at home eating bread 24/7...

You have to come home and give them some of the money you both made to take care of the house.

If you neglect them too much or mistreat them (aka hit them all the time), they can run away, ask for a divorce, try to kill you the next time you sleep/call dark brotherhood/come at you with a cleaver.

---

Uh... the romance also might never "end". You have to look out for rivals and your enemies wanting to do your spouse harm. They can be "taken captive" by bandits and you have to rescue them.

And, if they die, a courier tells you the bad news or you find the body, and you get a new quest.

You have a choice to either exact revenge or forgive the killer/killers and then proceed to either delve into necromancy in hopes of reviving your love or just forgot or some type of quest to ensure his/her spirit is at rest.

i like the idea of dating before hand, and having to take care of a house with money provided from your travels/work. and the idea of having to defend your spouse from danger, it hads a certain... realness, to the mid-evil world that is Skyrim.

I think this is an outstanding idea! I love Phantur's suggestions. Also, it would be fun to have a storyline where you are involved in, say, having to transport a prisoner, y'all flirt like hell along the road, and then maybe have the option to have them escape, you have to hunt them down, you find them, fall in love, then you have to decide whether or not y'all will become outlaws or you turn them in anyway or you find out that their "crime" was trumped up and you take it upon yourself to clear their name whilst trying to hide them.....

So many possibilities! But mostly I vote for having tension between the two characters in the beginning. The NPC could also be constantly starting things in the towns or on the roads to get the other NPCs to begin to question you or think you said or did something to tick them off and start a brawl whilst the prisoner tries to make an escape.

I am far too over committed RL (hence over a month of play and my character is only level 10) but I LOVE this game and will stick with it over time. A well planned, well executed romance mod would be fantastic.

Also...my ignorance is showing: What is the "CK" y'all are waiting for???

Cheers!

Also...my ignorance is showing: What is the "CK" y'all are waiting for???

Cheers!

Creation Kit. The Holy Grail of moding. It's a tool that helps quite a lot with replacing and scripting pretty much everything else in the Game.

I

I read some Thalmor envolvement in it specially having a Thalmor dick as a romance (primary?) option. Well...I quote what Sagenth said: "I don't like this for socio-political reasons and the fact that altmeri are dicks." Having a Thalmor as a companion, even if it's a «softened» one by the player's charms...I don't like the idea. I'd say we can still focus on the fact of who they truly are. Thalmor. Aldmeri Dominion. High Elf Supremecists. They're fanatics and having a Thalmor on our side as a lover would be, well, romantic but at the same time would cut off their dominant and intriguing personality. Although...

Drakkenfan and iggy1eco I believe you have stumbled upon something which has to be done, but might be much more difficult than originally intended. As Sagenth said : "I don't like this for socio-political reasons and the fact that altmeri are dicks. However people marry dicks every day, so it doesn't really matter to me in the end. It is a cool prospect from the modding standpoint having to massage their ego as the quest." Although I like it because of the socio-political reasons. I'm a female Nord, a stormclock, and I just killed ever Thalmor in the Northwatch Keep... what is there for a thalmor to like? nothing exactly... and I'm sure a lot of people are upset when people don't like them especially if that person just saved my life.

Imagine this.

you are on your way to Markarth (as there are already a lot of Thalmor there and that city is so intriguing you are bound to run into him again he'd be stationed at a bar sometimes or near Ondolemar and the Jarl) when you see an official looking thalmor on the same path. this triggers an overpowering attack obviously aimed at you fight as long as possible and the thalmor is forced to fight beside you. when your health is really low it triggers a blackout like in the bigining of the game. when you come around at the Markarth stables, everything is blurry you see this thalmor face in and out of focus and he moves out of vision, you hear voices... disapproving voices not all mer.

He'll be defending his honor, there must be some way to link faction speech so he'd say the appropriate things for female players it'll be easy (who doesn't want to save a damsel in distress) but it would be nice if he uses other aspects to justify saving you. the other npc use the other faction information like "She's a stormcloak!" "Ondolemar won't be pleased" "we have a duty to get rid of talos worshipers" "I think she has fur growing out of her ears" "what if we need to kill her later?"

Then you fall back asleep and wake up in the stable while the guys who sell horse and war dogs ask you to leave. you leave and when you run into him next maybe you over hear him talking about home and how comfortless Markarth is. you go up to him and say "you're the guy who saved me." He'll be non comital and then when you insist he'll say, "yes, I did. So you owe me. While that would entitle me to the rest of your life, but I'll settle for a glass of wine." thus the start of some elaborate quests, eventually some together and obviously you'll have some different dialogue options and responses.

To be honest I haven't played Skyrim in weeks because I wanted to wait for the CK to get released, but I'm sure there is a village somehwere in Skyrim by Bethesda which could be used and modified for that purpose. Anyway it's just an idea I wanted to throw out.

i like the idea, would you be willing in helping out with the making of the mod?

Gee, thanks for asking, there may be a few problems though. English isn't my mothertongue, I haven't used the CK since Morrowind but I learned programming in college so that would perhaps help and I have finals this month, so the earliest I would get back to you would be in February, but thank you very much.

I like your idea, the romance in Skyrim are too easy !! I would like the romance as same dragon age origins or Mass effect :tongue:

But, I understand it's a big work to create this mod .

So here is i think the major issue with the marriage and romance system currently implemented by Bethesda in Skyrim. There is no connection to the actual NPC's in question who are marriageable. The most interaction you get with them is a few systematic dialog's that never change, and in most cases a quest to find some lost item or help them in some way. then suddenly they are in love with you. Where is the story in that, the chance to actually feel connected to a NPC. The best Romance stories follow the same outline as any story, they start off slow building up the story and getting you intrigued by the characters themselves, eventually reaching the climax in which there is some sort of struggle, or truth spoken that wasn't known before. But the most crucial element in almost any romance is that the ending leaves you wanting more. There is no great romance novel, eroge, game or any other form of literature that leaves you with a rock solid ending. I think that is going to be the biggest problem to over come, Since the game is scripted in to be never ending, once you have finally gotten that connection and gotten drawn in and ultimately married the NPC of your choice, then what?

This becomes and issue in more then one way for instance, You could say that something should be used a long the lines of scripted in events happening in which something like them being held hostage. But after a while this just becomes another side quest, and more then that, one which could be considered an annoyance as it is stopping you from completing other quests. At the same time, if once the marriage is set and the story line has finished it's progression if nothing happens you soon loose interest because there is nothing there appealing that draws you in.

At the same time you have the issue with the actual draw of the NPC in question. The major flaw as a mentioned above in my opinion, is you never actually speak with, or spend time with any of the NPC's in question save one or two, as the majority of them are just complete a quest for me and the marriage question can be asked. otherwise the NPC has no real use.

Just my two cents on what is going to be hardest to tackle. That and ofcourse scripting in all the events that allow this to work as with any hope i would assume would be easily 10+ NPC's available to cater to hours of gameplay and romance for enthusiasts like me.

EDIT: i should also mention that this should be kept as lore friendly as possible imo, and that in itself creates challenges as a doubt there are many who actually know the entire lore that is able to be known about the TES games in general.

Edited by Nakanaide

This is great idea and will be a mod that i will look forward to. I was wondering could the npc romance change with you if you do things such as help the legion take over skyrim or become the master of the thevis guild? would they be happy or not with you?

I would really like it too... obviously it is something we'll have to look into once we have the creation kit and a main modder.

Nakanaide - good to have you on board!