"Romance Mod" (if you are into modding, please read this!)

NathanRyan

It should prolly be noted before i post more idea's in this thread and possibly work on some of the dialog and stories presented that i am a sucker for sad romances.

To put it in perspective, i though wuthering heights ended on too happy of a note :O

Seriously!! Wuthering Heights was uber depressing... you aren't getting it mixed up with Gone With The Wind by any chance? I can understand that not being depressing enough for some people.....

wow, I'd like to play whatever you write just to see how torn up I get. I'm into tragic characters but it'll be interesting to have a tragic story line. F. Scott Fitzgerald. “Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.”

Nope i mean wuthering heights 100%

I generally pull off Eroge's, Which are basically a story with multiple choices that ultimetely effect the outcome of the story. Most are perverted too, but there are some good ones. And basically a happy ending in one of those is something along the lines of you die to save your loved one who pleads and begs for you not to. Or your loved one dies despite all your efforts, after words you find a note or recording about how much they are scared of dying and wish you would have just held them close rather then w/e you did. Or the best one by far, Hailing from the depths of whichever twisted mind came up with Saya no uta. She dies to make the rest of the world like her, since she is the only thing you can see that is beautiful.

The biggest draw imo though is that they focus on pulling you in to the story allot better then anything else imo. At the end of kana for instance i literally went outside to smoke. came back in, sat on the couch for two hours just going... wtf... Cause god damn did that ending hit me hard.

Also will be posting a few more idea's when i wake up enough to coherently think and fix a few issues.

Edit: that also brings up another issue, how are we going to effect the mood of the reader, while going through dialog. The easiest way to do that is through music. For instance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T22g1mwdfLs The mood of this song and others like it Totally made Saya no Uta what it was. and is the reason i will always read eroge's and find them much better then actual novels, even while i do enjoy a good novel.

Edit 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkvQte7JWpw

even sadder song from ever 17 :(

Edited by Nakanaide

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should prolly be noted before i post more idea's in this thread and possibly work on some of the dialog and stories presented that i am a sucker for sad romances.

To put it in perspective, i though wuthering heights ended on too happy of a note :O

Seriously!! Wuthering Heights was uber depressing... you aren't getting it mixed up with Gone With The Wind by any chance? I can understand that not being depressing enough for some people.....

wow, I'd like to play whatever you write just to see how torn up I get. I'm into tragic characters but it'll be interesting to have a tragic story line. F. Scott Fitzgerald. “Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.”

Not to put a damper on tragedy and all, but I hate tragic romance. Guess I'm just a "disney" kind of girl. And judging from all the people who went wiggy with one of the, erm, "interesting" happenings in a romance in Dragon Age, I'd guess that I'm not alone. If there's to be a tragic romance, I'd like there to be others as well so I can avoid the one that crashes and burns.

Now, *angsty* romance is another story. A bit of drama keeps it interesting.

A few things to consider:

(This is about the post-romance stage, i.e. marriage, but some of these things might occur before you marry your chosen one :) ):

- Time spent away from home: the mod would track the time you spend away from your family home. After a certain period of time, your standing with your spouse (he or she would be in the 'Spouse' faction) would start to decline, triggering dialogue options that would involve your spouse complaining about neglecting your loved one. This could be negated by giving your spouse various gifts. Ignore the needs of your spouse long enough and you would see a serious decline of your standing with him/her, leading to an increased chance of an out-of-marriage affair while you are away, crawling dungeons and bashing dragon heads. Hints of an out-of-marriage affair would pop up as rumor first (chat between NPCs as you approach them) (e.g. "Could it be that somebody is trying to rob the Hero's house? I often saw a dark figure lurking around his/her home after sunset), later as proof in the form of clothing items that do not belong to you ("Unfamiliar pants" or ordinary items that are tagged "Steal", indicating that they are not your property but still somehow they found their way into your house). In this stage, you could still catch the guy/girl, and talk them out of the affairs (either by reasoning, or by threatening/beating some sense into them).

- If your standing is very low with your spouse, they may leave your house and move to a random building in the game world with their seducer - you would be notified in a letter that your spouse wants a divorce. You would then have the option to a) agree b) visit your spouse and attempt to change their mind about leaving you. In that case, your spouse may opt for returning home with your, or you may be confronted by your spouse's lover.

or

- The seducer could be a ruffian who will just kidnap your spouse for a ransom. --> Rescue mission. (Kidnapping may occur anyway without an "illegitimate" love affair, after all, you are a hero who romps through dungeons, and probably amasses wealth).

- Depending on which of the factions you chose in the civil war, your spouse may be kidnapped by the other faction, leading to a rescue mission.

I think this would make romance/marriage a more organic part of the game world and the story but of course, these are just ideas. :)

thank you for your great input! i was thinking something like that would need to be incorporated, but i never went that in depth.

Not to put a damper on tragedy and all, but I hate tragic romance. Guess I'm just a "disney" kind of girl. And judging from all the people who went wiggy with one of the, erm, "interesting" happenings in a romance in Dragon Age, I'd guess that I'm not alone. If there's to be a tragic romance, I'd like there to be others as well so I can avoid the one that crashes and burns.

I do intend on writing 1 or 2 atleast with tragedy if permitted but i doubt that will be the main stay of this, and obviously even those that i want to add that aspect to will have a happy turn of events unless you make a stupid decision during dialog or w/e plot lines are developing the characters.

The main idea imo that i had, is that if you make the wrong choices you end up with a sad feeling because what you expected the outcome to be is not what you got.

You know what in a video game I think it is cooler to have tragedy than to have happiness.

The function the tragedy serves is to highlight the happiness in real life. If there isn't much happiness in real life then once the tragedy is over in the game you can find happiness elsewhere. So I personally would like a bit of both.

Sometimes it is the things you don't see or don't have the chance to ever experience that matter the most to you; it is kind of like watching a sad film but with far less passivity possible.

I want to be the one who flew over the cuckoo's nest!

Edited by Sagenth

You know what in a video game I think it is cooler to have tragedy than to have happiness.

The function the tragedy serves is to highlight the happiness in real life. If there isn't much happiness in real life then once the tragedy is over in the game you can find happiness elsewhere. So I personally would like a bit of both.

Sometimes it is the things you don't see or don't have the chance to ever experience that matter the most to you; it is kind of like watching a sad film but with far less passivity possible.

I want to be the one who flew over the cuckoo's nest!

brilliant outlook.

Creat a scenerio where if a person has to choose between two people, the choice will always be on their mind even afterwards. Though the scenerio i'm thinking right now would require a massive undertaking, so i'm lowering my imagination to a more scalable size.

The tragedies make you value what you gained yet don't truly forget what was lost as a result.

Edited by archsamael

Wow, it's such a great topic.

Since the Skyrim came out and I've played it for a couple of minutes, I became a great Thalmor-hater. They are arrogant, evil people who wish genocide to all other races. I hated them a lot when seeing how they spy almost everywhere (college, solitude), murder worshippers of Talos, etc and nothing can be done about it. So my character grew to be a fierce enemy of the Aldmeri Dominion, killing every Thalmor on sight, and somehow sympathising with the Stormcloak rebellion. Hell, I thought Ulfric was the only romancable guy in the whole Skyrim.

So when I first read the "Thalmor officer romance" idea my initial response was something along "every traitor collaborating with Thalmor should die!!" :biggrin: But then I read some more, and gave it a thought or two and became quite obsessed with the idea. Yeah, they are the ocuppant-nazi-like-faction, but then, there IS something alluring about those Thalmor uniforms... :wub: And also being a Breton noble refugee my character feels a bit lonely with all those Nord plainsman, so a handsome, cunning, educated Altmer might be an option :biggrin: So now my mind is all around "I want an hopeless romance with an evil Thalmor officer in those damn sexy robes!"

Ok, but there are some things to consider:

How the questline would be affected by the choices of the character and progression in Empire/Stormcloak war? I see a GREAT potential for drama here, and we all love drama, don't we? The characters would be so conflicted, we could get this old conflict of "duty vs love" of a sort.

I haven't finished the War Quest yet, but I guess if the Stormcloaks win, the Thalmors in Solitude and Marakath are going away, aren't they? So there is a problem of how do we situate this whole questline so depending on different character choices we don't get nonsense. That might be though. One idea is to set the whole love story during the War Questline, but again, it limits many choices of the player and by the time the mod is out probably most of us will have the vanilla quests solved.

Yea it could be between conflict of interest or he could be turned, or perhaps just try and murder you in your sleep.

The alternative is that you could be his Ilse Koch or the Jiang Qing to his Mao Tse-tung. Helping him to shepherd the sheep to the mass slaughter; which the Thalmor surely have planned in the long game.

Edit: for those of you unfamiliar with those names through education, which if all gamers were like me.. would be everybody here.

http://listverse.com/2010/12/31/top-10-most-evil-humans/

Edited by Sagenth

I do intend on writing 1 or 2 atleast with tragedy if permitted but i doubt that will be the main stay of this, and obviously even those that i want to add that aspect to will have a happy turn of events unless you make a stupid decision during dialog or w/e plot lines are developing the characters.

The main idea imo that i had, is that if you make the wrong choices you end up with a sad feeling because what you expected the outcome to be is not what you got.

I see. I don't mind a little angst (it adds flavor) as long as there's a happy outcome! Those are actually my fav romances. I just don't like the "Old Yeller" endings. :(

And I'm sure there are lots of people who like the tragic ending romance, I'm just not one of them. :)

@Sagenth - I see your point, but as far as I'm concerned, there's too much tragedy in real life. I want my fantasy life to end with the guy walking off with the girl into the sunset. Now, they can do that over a landscape of burnt, smoldering buildings and without loved ones that they've lost along the way...so long as they're okay, they're together, and have a hope for a good future. The bad guys win too much IRL. So when I'm into my escapism, I want to kick the bad guys' butts and have the good guys win and walk away happy....with each other.