"Romance Mod" (if you are into modding, please read this!)

NathanRyan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't learn how to do any of those things if you don't first try. If you want to try and help, so long as you keep us updated on what you're successfully and unsuccessfully doing for the mod, then all you need to do is pm nathan with your email.

Okay sure.

Only problem, i'm a little inexperienced when it comes to fourms, so who is this Nathan, (I'm gonna assume its NathanRyan) and how do i pm him?

I just would hate to send my email to the wrong person.... And even then..... *grumble*

Yes, NathanRyan, Under his avatar you can find a button with a white icon - when you click it, it should bring you to the PM section where you just type your message and press "send". When he replies, you might get notification in your e-mail (I think that's the default setting on these forums so unless you changed it, it should happen), or you will just notice an icon indicating you have new PM on the top bars of the Nexus forums.

Hope this helps :9

And really, even if you PM a wrong person, I don't think anyone will bite your head off :P Don't worry.

Edited by Esteris

Just thought I'd weigh in on this as someone who's been down this road.

First of all, good on those of you who are going to work on this mod! Ideas are great, but without people willing to put in time and effort, they don't count for much. Thank you for stepping up and taking the challenge!

Second of all-- and I mean this sincerely-- don't be afraid to fail. Because modding is nothing if not incredibly frustrating at times. You'll make mistakes, you'll goof things up, you'll go nuts with frustration sometimes, and that's okay! The important thing is, you're trying. (Also, don't freak out when you feel like everything you've written is awful. Only 50% of it is, and some of that is redeemable-- that's what editing is for, after all.)

Finally, and I learned this the hard way, an hour of planning beforehand will save you 10 hours of fixing mistakes later.

•  
  • What naming conventions will you use, so everyone knows what components belong where? (I'd suggest using a prefix of modders' initials + the NPC's initials. That is, if your name is Jane Doe, and your character is Rob Rowe, you get jdrr-- this almost guarantees your elements will never clash with other mods' additions. I also like to preface all quests with a Q, for easier sorting. Of course, I haven't seen the CK yet, so god knows how this is all going to turn out.)
  • Consider using some kind of chart to keep track of quest elements. The more options you include, this more complicated this gets. (For example, does the NPC respond the same way to a "good" character as an "evil" character? What about an Imperial as opposed to a Stormcloak? And what if the player is an evil Imperial? What if the player isn't playing the main quest? And that's not even looking at things like possible PC personality traits or individual playing styles-- you'll never, ever be able to allow for everything, so don't worry about it.)
  • No matter what, some people will think you did everything wrong. Don't lose any sleep over that. Learn from the people who honestly feel you could have done better; ignore the trolls (who rarely contribute anything to the community anyway).

Oh, and stock up on the headache remedies of your choice. And possibly lots of caffeine. And get some of your gaming friends to help with editing and proofreading and so on.

And don't be afraid to turn to senior modders for help, once you have a ready-to-test version! People will bend over backwards to help you out once they see your project is more than "I have this idea, all I need is a scripter and a modeler and someone to do textures and a writer and and and"-- and this project is already off to an interesting start.

And again... thank you. Communities like this don't exist without people who give to it, after all!

attention everyone involved with the creating of this mod i have started a forum specifically for us here is the link. go on and register

http://romanceisinevitable.proboards.com/

That red (on the site) hurts a lot, mate. =/

Oh, I can't see any text there as it's red on red. Is that my browser or is it intended for some reason? :o

Wow the forums just failed soo hard. They need to get a better server.

Configuring a forum can be a lengthy task, I just sent everybody I had an email for an invite to a google group instead. Not sure if I will be scolded or praised for this, but I think it will be easier than fixing style issues on the forum there.