"Romance Mod" (if you are into modding, please read this!)

NathanRyan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I haven't played Skyrim in weeks because I wanted to wait for the CK to get released, but I'm sure there is a village somehwere in Skyrim by Bethesda which could be used and modified for that purpose. Anyway it's just an idea I wanted to throw out.

@ Drakkenfan sounds interesting, but maybe you could give us a bit more of your idea.

How do you meet this Altmer and why does the player find themselves attracted to them?

It sounds like a great questline but you've got to make the player want to marry your altmer? what's his history? Maybe he's an old war veterine (it sounds like that would fit in with the missing home senerio.)

Is he a potential follower... I think it's fine if he's not. Some people prefer have stay at home spouse and there could be some extra after marriage questline to keep it interesting.

Perhaps the first meeting could involve him saving the player from a creature attack right outside the city of Solitude (or even within the city). He then approaches the player after the battle and invites the player to the Thalmor headquarters in the city to recover from injuries. While there, he casts a healing spell on the player. He says, "That beast almost killed me. I almost died out there." He confesses that he's grown tired of working for the Thalmor all his life. He's been thinking about quitting, and finding a nice refined spouse to settle down with and raise children. He misses the fine foods and comforts of having a home. A glass of Alinor's finest wine and some of his homeland's food would raise his spirits, but sadly the supply shipment was lost at sea, and the Thalmor are too busy to investigate. The player then can volunteer to investigate the shipwreck, and bring the wine and spices to him. The rest of the quest would be as I mentioned earlier.

He would be great as a follower. He is a mage for the Thalmor and wears hooded Thalmor robes. He can cast a variety of spells including conjuration, destruction, and healing spells. If the player doesn't want him as a follower, he is also content to stay at the house. He knows a lot about cooking fine cuisine, and the dishes he can cook for the player after marriage will heal as well as the best healing potions.

As for his appearance, he should look handsome. He's a young Altmer, with amber eyes.. His body and face is thin and he doesn't have a beard. His face would look somewhat similar to the Thalmor that takes invitations outside the embassy. He would be available for either female or male characters to marry.

To be honest I haven't played Skyrim in weeks because I wanted to wait for the CK to get released, but I'm sure there is a village somehwere in Skyrim by Bethesda which could be used and modified for that purpose. Anyway it's just an idea I wanted to throw out.

i like the idea, would you be willing in helping out with the making of the mod?

Yes. You'd have to say the right things during the conversation. The Thalmor official has refined tastes and wants a woman with similar tastes. The player's replies should reflect that. For instance when he asks what you like to drink, and if the player says, "Nothing in life is better than Skyrim's mead, straight from the bottle." that would not go over as well as saying, "I simply love the taste and subtle aroma of Altmeri wines."

You would also have to be convince him that you are from a good bloodline (meaning an Altmer), or that you are at least an important person. For instance, if you know you are the dragonborn that will appear as an option to say to him. If you haven't found out you're dragonborn yet, then perhaps being the archmage or some other accomplishment would impress him.

I don't like this for socio-political reasons and the fact that altmeri are dicks. However people marry dicks every day, so it doesn't really matter to me in the end. It is a cool prospect from the modding standpoint having to massage their ego as the quest.

I find it a very interesting idea and could turn out to be a quite enjoyable mod and add us some more variety into the romance options, plus more quests to keep us busy.

However it would envolve some (some?) scripting and that takes hours and time. I've tried once in oblivion. Failed but got the picture ;p guess programming was never my thing anyway. We all know that Bethesda informed the release of the CK this month, but no matter the time it takes to come out, before the "doing" must come the planning, even if it's just the writing, which I've been doing for a long time, though not an english speaker and didn't do much writing in english, I've had my experiences.

I say to use one of the already existing villages (Towns). Either a mining town or a small settlement. Some of them don't have big sidequests and don't require you to go too far and more importantly they're not much alive in terms of action that goes around them besides the casual farming/mining or the typical tavern that gives us quests to deliver at one of the major Settlements. My suggestions would be Dragon Bridge, Shor's Stone or Karthwasten.

I read some Thalmor envolvement in it specially having a Thalmor dick as a romance (primary?) option. Well...I quote what Sagenth said: "I don't like this for socio-political reasons and the fact that altmeri are dicks." Having a Thalmor as a companion, even if it's a «softened» one by the player's charms...I don't like the idea. I'd say we can still focus on the fact of who they truly are. Thalmor. Aldmeri Dominion. High Elf Supremecists. They're fanatics and having a Thalmor on our side as a lover would be, well, romantic but at the same time would cut off their dominant and intriguing personality. Although...

...while the quest rolls up, there could be away to «soften» the Aldmeri Dominion. A true antagonist has a human side to him. Some...goodness. They're not human but they have weaknesses and through the quest line it could be explored in a way to soften but not pity them and like them so much that we, players, would fall in love for them the same way they're «supposed» to fall in love for us, players. Maybe it's a way to go a bit deeper into the Thalmor feelings and motives, out of the box, avoiding a bit the "they're behind the empire's necks somehow" rumors. The player would explore a (few) dungeon, a (few) fortress, talk with a few NPC's (that they were not that difficult to create in Oblivion, but tricky), get a few items and while at it we were getting to know our quest giver. Maybe he had relations with the Aldmeri Dominion and we are working out a plan to clean his profile and keep the Thalmor at bay so they cannot collect the bounty on his head.

There would be no obligation though that our quest giver would be the only romance option. we could find a couple of other interesting NPC's from different races. two females and one male or vice-versa and pick up 3 different races. Nord, Imperial and Khajiit (just as example). Oh, and different "classes". A warrior and a ranger (example). Maybe fall in love with the person hired to kill the one we are protecting? Don't know. A possibility.

Of course this would take a lot of work, but hey, this is obviously in the planning phase and needs reflexion and all and while CK is not here, then comes preparation. Another thing is: this is all a BRAINSTORM! :psyduck: No need to be intimidated by the work. we can live our lives normally. Moding can still be a hobby and a form of learning side stuff and keep our heads busy. Learning is good. ( :armscrossed: Easier to say though, I know, I know).

Well, that's all I got to say for now really. Please feedback! ='D

If you need help with something say it, I've got too much free time now. Going to start on my "writing moments" and if you need help that's all I can offer for now it's...more writing! :dry:

Peace! Making quests turns out to be a :wallbash: =/ though

Edited by iggy1eco

As a person who loves romance, I love this idea. I was a HUGE fan of the Baldur's Gate NPC romances and I can't say enough how I'd love to see this happen. That (the BG NPC Romance Mod) was a truly awesome mod that gave the players so many wonderful romantic choices!! *sigh*

I can't offer much in the way of scripting or modding, but I would happily try some voice acting. I would also be happy to lend my opinions on story directions and perhaps some writing, though I admit I don't know what that would involve, since I've never done any of it before. There's always a first time for everything, though! I'm enthusiastic and perky, so that's good for something, right? If nothing else, I'm great moral support. :D

I like the previous idea of a Thalmor romance. However, I would much prefer that he *not* be a d**k. Though I do admit to loving Xan from Baldur's Gate, he (Xan) was a butt who turned bootylicious as he (against his will) fell for the protagonist. That would be great for the Thalmor storyline, IMHO. Just enough of a jerk to irritate you, but not totally put you off - especially since he's very useful and knowledgeable, which he should be. Certain behaviors are forgivable, others...not so much. I could put up with a little condescension and a tad bit of snobbery provided he had redeeming qualities (mercy, patience, justice) or cute quirks (such as a roguish charm or boyish delight when finding special treasures) AND that he eventually outgrew the distasteful qualities (towards my protagonist and her friends, at least - except for any of her friends that he didn't like). With that in mind, he could have certain dispositions of his culture, such as a slight superiority complex or a feeling of higher destiny due to his ancestry, but he would need to be able to grow as a character and realize that there are people of great worth in all the races (evidenced in the protagonist *not* being a high elf). He could soften towards others, but mostly towards the protagonist, who becomes his love and perhaps his wife. To help with this, his back story could include one of his parents being non-Altmer. It could also add more drama to his life - perhaps he had a human father who left he and his mother (or defiled her) or perhaps he had a dark elven mother that worshiped Mara whom his father adored, or a Nord parent who worshiped Talos (gasp!) and was taken away by Thalmor agents one day....all of which could make him wonderfully conflicted. Conflicts he discusses with the protagonist (not until he grows to trust her and more so as his trust, respect and fondness grows). She, in turn, should be allowed to lay some of her burdens on him, as well.

He could fight falling for the girl (as with the Xan romance), especially since she's not "one of his kind" (and if his parents were mixed, that would give him even more pause, depending on that storyline). And to get into the Twilight style of mega-drama romance, there could be a point where he breaks it off (and then comes back, of course) or gets jealous over some other character.

Which leads me to another thing I'd love to see in this mod.....interaction between the romanceables, if there's more than one (oh, please say it will be so). If paths were to cross, they could just say a little snide comment whenever around each other (preferably different ones). A fight would be kewl, too. Oh, there goes my protagonist, showing her vanity!!! LOL

Okay, I'm done for now. Let me know if you'd like anything I have to offer (hmmmmm...that sounded a lot more different that it was intended)!!

Maybe have multiple approaches?

You can be a stalker, a casonova, or just a white knight to the person. :D

Like, maybe help an NPC with a quest and show your interest or keep helping them until they show interest. You can ask them out on a "date" to the local tavern, give them gifts that they would like. Protecting them. Once you "initiate" a romance, they will be attacked by your enemies and you have to defend them.

Uh...

You can stalk them and, some, will enjoy it while others won't. You have to know about them by either talking to them on dates/stalking.

Uh... yeah. :D

I can write stories but not dialogue so I have no clue how much help that'd be for a game based on dialogue.

Maybe have a love rival, aka, someone else who lusts after your love or your love is infatuated with another so you have to "persuade" the rival one way or another.

For example, sock him/her in the face until they go away, murder them. pay them off (might not work if they are really in love with the other), etc...

If your spouse finds out, they might either like that side of you or hate you for it so you'd have to be sneaky. :D Different approaches for different NPCs based on how they are (that's where talking/stalking can come in again)

---

You can take your spouse out on dates post-marriage and just live like a couple if you wish. They will have a job and won't magically spawn money as they sit at home eating bread 24/7...

You have to come home and give them some of the money you both made to take care of the house.

If you neglect them too much or mistreat them (aka hit them all the time), they can run away, ask for a divorce, try to kill you the next time you sleep/call dark brotherhood/come at you with a cleaver.

---

Uh... the romance also might never "end". You have to look out for rivals and your enemies wanting to do your spouse harm. They can be "taken captive" by bandits and you have to rescue them.

And, if they die, a courier tells you the bad news or you find the body, and you get a new quest.

You have a choice to either exact revenge or forgive the killer/killers and then proceed to either delve into necromancy in hopes of reviving your love or just forgot or some type of quest to ensure his/her spirit is at rest.

Edited by phantur

As a person who loves romance, I love this idea. I was a HUGE fan of the Baldur's Gate NPC romances and I can't say enough how I'd love to see this happen. That (the BG NPC Romance Mod) was a truly awesome mod that gave the players so many wonderful romantic choices!! *sigh*

I can't offer much in the way of scripting or modding, but I would happily try some voice acting. I would also be happy to lend my opinions on story directions and perhaps some writing, though I admit I don't know what that would involve, since I've never done any of it before. There's always a first time for everything, though! I'm enthusiastic and perky, so that's good for something, right? If nothing else, I'm great moral support. :D

I like the previous idea of a Thalmor romance. However, I would much prefer that he *not* be a d**k. Though I do admit to loving Xan from Baldur's Gate, he (Xan) was a butt who turned bootylicious as he (against his will) fell for the protagonist. That would be great for the Thalmor storyline, IMHO. Just enough of a jerk to irritate you, but not totally put you off - especially since he's very useful and knowledgeable, which he should be. Certain behaviors are forgivable, others...not so much. I could put up with a little condescension and a tad bit of snobbery provided he had redeeming qualities (mercy, patience, justice) or cute quirks (such as a roguish charm or boyish delight when finding special treasures) AND that he eventually outgrew the distasteful qualities (towards my protagonist and her friends, at least - except for any of her friends that he didn't like). With that in mind, he could have certain dispositions of his culture, such as a slight superiority complex or a feeling of higher destiny due to his ancestry, but he would need to be able to grow as a character and realize that there are people of great worth in all the races (evidenced in the protagonist *not* being a high elf). He could soften towards others, but mostly towards the protagonist, who becomes his love and perhaps his wife. To help with this, his back story could include one of his parents being non-Altmer. It could also add more drama to his life - perhaps he had a human father who left he and his mother (or defiled her) or perhaps he had a dark elven mother that worshiped Mara whom his father adored, or a Nord parent who worshiped Talos (gasp!) and was taken away by Thalmor agents one day....all of which could make him wonderfully conflicted. Conflicts he discusses with the protagonist (not until he grows to trust her and more so as his trust, respect and fondness grows). She, in turn, should be allowed to lay some of her burdens on him, as well.

He could fight falling for the girl (as with the Xan romance), especially since she's not "one of his kind" (and if his parents were mixed, that would give him even more pause, depending on that storyline). And to get into the Twilight style of mega-drama romance, there could be a point where he breaks it off (and then comes back, of course) or gets jealous over some other character.

Which leads me to another thing I'd love to see in this mod.....interaction between the romanceables, if there's more than one (oh, please say it will be so). If paths were to cross, they could just say a little snide comment whenever around each other (preferably different ones). A fight would be kewl, too. Oh, there goes my protagonist, showing her vanity!!! LOL

Okay, I'm done for now. Let me know if you'd like anything I have to offer (hmmmmm...that sounded a lot more different that it was intended)!!

we would appriciate all the help you could offer, if you would, please send me a PM telling what you would like to do for the mod

Maybe have multiple approaches?

You can be a stalker, a casonova, or just a white knight to the person. :D

Like, maybe help an NPC with a quest and show your interest or keep helping them until they show interest. You can ask them out on a "date" to the local tavern, give them gifts that they would like. Protecting them. Once you "initiate" a romance, they will be attacked by your enemies and you have to defend them.

Uh...

You can stalk them and, some, will enjoy it while others won't. You have to know about them by either talking to them on dates/stalking.

Uh... yeah. :D

I can write stories but not dialogue so I have no clue how much help that'd be for a game based on dialogue.

Maybe have a love rival, aka, someone else who lusts after your love or your love is infatuated with another so you have to "persuade" the rival one way or another.

For example, sock him/her in the face until they go away, murder them. pay them off (might not work if they are really in love with the other), etc...

If your spouse finds out, they might either like that side of you or hate you for it so you'd have to be sneaky. :D Different approaches for different NPCs based on how they are (that's where talking/stalking can come in again)

i like the idea of different approaches, but how could you possibly win over the "romancable" by stalking them? would they eventually enjoy the attention? seems like with that line, you're taking one step forward and two steps back. however i do like the idea and would love to hear more if you were so inclined?