In-Game Appearance Editor for NPCs

Shawn263241

Hello people of the Nexus, Shawn263241 here with a hopefully humble enough request. I'd like to see a mod that allows one to easily edit the appearance of other NPCs, preferably in-game or with the implication of some other means to see the changes as they are made (maybe a render window of sorts if not in-game). If in-game, maybe it could be like the showracemenu command used to edit one's own character. I'm not quite sure how it could get done as I am almost completely unfamiliar with the modding process; all I know is that an easy way to permanently edit the appearance of NPCs would be just wonderful, especially if options like changing voices were added.

Any opinions on this matter? Any brave souls willing to take up this challenge? I know the CK is set to release later this month, but I just can't wait that long. I want Hroki to look like Lightning, and that damn latex mask is just too creepy. :laugh:

Other, suggested ideas to achieve a similar goal:

...something similar to Mount & Blade's editor would be fine (make the appearance using an interface, then extracting the values and applying them) rather than an extensive in-game editor.

Well you could change the attributes of an npc, remove the current one from the game, and add the new one back in maybe.

First we need someone to create a face-ripper for skyrim, an example to what I mean is found here: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35769.

and then we would need to create a program that can find the NPC you're looking for and overwrite it with the new face preset.

then all you would have to do is this:

1. save your game (you don't want to overwrite your original face preset would you?)

2. bring up the racemenu by typing "showracemenu" in the console.

3. create the preset you want to use

4. save your game yet again with the new preset.

5. rip the facepreset from your save.

6. use the editor program to create a new esp file with the new preset for the choosen NPC

7.enjoy your new NPC faces

EDIT: Haha, like my redundancy in the subtitle? :hurr:

Edited by Shawn263241

I am 100% in support of this idea, but something similar to Mount & Blade's editor would be fine (make the appearance using an interface, then extracting the values and applying them) rather than an extensive in-game editor. The NPC editor is fantastic, but it's a nightmare trying to tweak appearances.

I am 100% in support of this idea, but something similar to Mount & Blade's editor would be fine (make the appearance using an interface, then extracting the values and applying them) rather than an extensive in-game editor. The NPC editor is fantastic, but it's a nightmare trying to tweak appearances.

Finally, a supporter! :D Your idea sounds fine too; if it gets the same job done I'm all for it! Heck, if it's easier to make then I'd prefer that over my idea just so I can get to use it faster, lol.

YES, DEFINITELY FREAKIN YES. I Don't like how Lydia looks so i use an armor mod people made from, Tera "korean mmo" to look like Elin and i made her shorter. i feel a little better that Lydia doesn't look annoying as how she talks "I am sworn to carry your burdens"

YES, 1Billion% Support!!!!

This is a really good idea but I think it may be impossible or very hard to do.

I am sure the showracemenu function only works for the player - it may be impossible to rewrite it for a npc.

Someone would have to make a custom menu that updates the npc's attributes in real-time. This would take a lot of effort and time.

It may be possible though because I know in Oblivion that there were spells that could change body types.

YES, DEFINITELY FREAKIN YES. I Don't like how Lydia looks so i use an armor mod people made from, Tera "korean mmo" to look like Elin and i made her shorter. i feel a little better that Lydia doesn't look annoying as how she talks "I am sworn to carry your burdens"YES, 1Billion% Support!!!!

Now that's the kind of enthusiasm I'm talkin' about! And here I was worried that no one else shared my views, haha.

On a side note, I like how we're both trying to make whites look like Asians. :P

This is a really good idea but I think it may be impossible or very hard to do.I am sure the showracemenu function only works for the player - it may be impossible to rewrite it for a npc.Someone would have to make a custom menu that updates the npc's attributes in real-time. This would take a lot of effort and time.It may be possible though because I know in Oblivion that there were spells that could change body types.

I doubt it'd be impossible, but I'm not saying it'd be easy either. I've seen some brilliant stuff over the years, so really I have no doubt that some brilliant mind will be able to figure something out to make this work. Of course, I know that something like this just doesn't happen over night or even in the week or two we have left to wait for the CK. But even if the CK beats our community's modders, wouldn't it be nice to have something like this? And even if they couldn't make something as glorious as an in-game showracemenu-type editor, as long as it's user-friendly and gets the same job done I'd be more than content.

Now then, since we're making progress, I'd like to ask that you all petition your local modders to take up this cause and do our bidding. And by that I mean if you know any modders please ask them to consider working on this, as it'd really be helpful. :teehee:

The easiest solution to this would be something like this:

First we need someone to create a face-ripper for skyrim, an example to what I mean is found here: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35769.

and then we would need to create a program that can find the NPC you're looking for and overwrite it with the new face preset.

then all you would have to do is this:

1. save your game (you don't want to overwrite your original face preset would you?)

2. bring up the racemenu by typing "showracemenu" in the console.

3. create the preset you want to use

4. save your game yet again with the new preset.

5. rip the facepreset from your save.

6. use the editor program to create a new esp file with the new preset for the choosen NPC

7.enjoy your new NPC faces

but then again it is not so elegant as a seperate racemenu is it?