Adopt the orphan in riften

Contingency

I did a search and didn't come up with this suggestion yet. If it has been, then I apologize for possibly beating a dead horse.

Allow adoptions of one of the children within the orphanage in Riften. The one that just about begs you to adopt her. It wouldn't be to bring her along as a companion, but rather once you have a house, she would go live and work there.

I'm OK with this. It'd be kinda fun to have a squire/trainee/plucky young sidekick. Especially (and this would require a LOT of work) some kid-friendly speech packs.

To the Draugr Boss: "Wow.... you're really *ugly*...."

"Hey, that cloud looks just like a dragon breathing fire straight at us... Oh wait."

"Ok, while you do that, I'll just stand here and admire your superior parenting skills, m'kay?"

"Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

For extra fun there could be a parenting skill tree, which levels up as the ward learns skills her/himself. Reach a certain level and you can ethically use them as followers, send them on tasks, etc.

I'm OK with this. It'd be kinda fun to have a squire/trainee/plucky young sidekick. Especially (and this would require a LOT of work) some kid-friendly speech packs.

To the Draugr Boss: "Wow.... you're really *ugly*...."

"Hey, that cloud looks just like a dragon breathing fire straight at us... Oh wait."

"Ok, while you do that, I'll just stand here and admire your superior parenting skills, m'kay?"

I am loving this concept more and more. I think that the kid should have some combat capability, like how Aventus killed that woman (He was an orphan in Riften too)

If not being able to fight, then just having him/her be a torch-bearer/pack mule/lockpicker would be cool.

To the Draugr Boss: "Wow.... you're really *ugly*..." *runs away*

"Hey, that cloud looks just like a dragon breathing fire straight at us... Woaaahhh."

YES, YES and YES and ohh my goodness yes

"I want to have a *-various toys: puppet, wooden sword, slingshot...; various sweets: sweetroll, strawberry tart...-*? Can I? Please?"

During battle while standing far away it suddenly screams 'fus roh da... fus roh da...' without any effect

You could make for it a few light light armors made of mystic ash, mithril or dragonscales to protect it during travelling

You could teach it some skills of magic, fighting (ranged or stealth attacks) or survival (cooking, alchemy, sneak)

When riding you would put the child onto the -horse, worg, dragon...- first...

This would be a great comedic type of mod as well as possible quests rescuing your new child or some such thing. Good Idea.

There was another thread (dunno where) talking about wanting to make a Batman mod (to go with all those Jester suit retextures into Harley Quinn); this Orphan Adoption mod would be a good first step towards a Robin. Costume or not, it's basically how I see folks would want to use this; as a follower but with certain limitations and alterations to make the kid a KID, and not a small adult. One thing I would do (personally) would be to drastically reduce the weight capacity-- a child is not a pack mule. I'll load up Lydia until she's staggering, she's old enough to handle things. A kid, not so much.

Also, earning XP and skill points. Training the child would be half the fun of something like this. (Especially if you can inform them WHY pulling aggro on a troll is a BAD IDEA.) Maybe after a fight you get to grade them and award the skill points yourself, rather than letting the game do it for you. I dunno, I'm making stuff up at this point. ^_^

Of course, some folks will want nothing more than to have a kid around the house, someone to say "hi" when they come home. This would be cool, too. ^_^ (Boring, IMHO, but we take what we can get.)

And, I *LOVE* the idea of the kid trying to Shout. That would be SO. AWESOME. ^_^