ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Creation kit: Create new type of weapon

TheMysteriousTraveler

I was wondering... When the creation kit comes out, will we be able to make new weapon catagories? I would love to see someone make a hidden blade category with its own actions etc. (For those who havent played assassins creed, a hidden blade is a small blade strapped onto the persons wrist and it extends and retracts with the flick of a wrist. it is used for stealth assassinations. My icon is a hidden blade being used).

Anyways, Todd Howard said that the creation kit was so powerful you could change the course of the storyline etc., so will it be powerful enougth to create new weapon categories?

Edited by TheMysteriousTraveler

yeah, seems simple...

Not too sure a whole new weapon can be created, there was never a possibility for such in Oblivion, and the engine hasn't really change that much. I, personally was hoping to add guns, flintlock pistols specifically, although I'm not sure if it can be done as the only real gun mod for Oblivion ever was a staff that looked like a gun, shooting fireballs. We can always hope though.

I just want this feature to add guns and crossbows, and to a lesser extent throwing weapons. However, I recall the devs saying that they didn't add these because of time constraints, and I think if it were as easy as just clicking up a new weapon type then it wouldn't have been difficult enough to warrant canceling these categories due to time constraints. However I remain optimistic.

Don't see much use in a gun when you can launch ice spears and fire balls but okay.

I don't know whats taking Beth so damn long if they are not planning on making it different then the GECK or the construction set.

A purely-melee character can't get much use from ice spears or fireballs. Guns would be a (welcome) alternative to bows as far as ranged attacks go for melee characters.

As far as implementing guns, it really shouldn't be that difficult; it would essentially use the same mechanics as archery except the reload time, projectile velocity and trajectory would need to be altered. All that stuff can currently be altered with existing modding tools. Of course, it would also require new weapon and projectile models and sounds. The most difficult part would be creating new animations.

I don't know whats taking Beth so damn long if they are not planning on making it different then the GECK or the construction set.

You are aware the engine was heavily modified? So the toolkit will be as well. Wether it looks different or not is irrelevant, it's what it contains that needs fixing.

Also, half the features of the toolkit needs to be taken away, since Bethesda does not own them. Then they need to fit what is left for us to use.

Lastly, they spend quite some time to get the Steamworkshop to go seamlessly with the CK.

You are aware the engine was heavily modified? So the toolkit will be as well. Wether it looks different or not is irrelevant, it's what it contains that needs fixing.

Also, half the features of the toolkit needs to be taken away, since Bethesda does not own them. Then they need to fit what is left for us to use.

Lastly, they spend quite some time to get the Steamworkshop to go seamlessly with the CK.

Rubbish. They've had just shy of two months. Your argument of the 'heavily modified' engine doesn't cut ice - it has little impact on the structure of the game resources, it's not 'heavily' modified either, and lastly it's already completed, though not in a releasable form, as it is the tool their team used to make the game world. All they need do is strip out the proprietary code - an easy undertaking. Furthermore, the iteration of the Gamebryo engine used for Oblivion was just as 'heavily' modified from the one used in Morrowind yet it only took them 2 weeks to release it. So there's precedent that counters your argument as well.

Most of your claims now disposed of that leaves us with your conjecture that they 'spend quite some time to get Steamworkshop..'. Do you have anything to back that claim? Reasons why it should take them 2 months to do it? That's generously allowing the assumption that they had not worked on it prior to release at all.

Rubbish. They've had just shy of two months. Your argument of the 'heavily modified' engine doesn't cut ice - it has little impact on the structure of the game resources, it's not 'heavily' modified either, and lastly it's already completed, though not in a releasable form, as it is the tool their team used to make the game world.

2 months, which includes major patch work, Thanksgiving and Christmas. See the problem?

Oh, and the engine is modified. How much is irrelevant, it is.

And the tool their team used is full of stuff they do not own the copyright on. Thus they need to take them out, make sure we got nothing we shouldn't have and they need to fix it up so we got the required.

All they need do is strip out the proprietary code - an easy undertaking. Furthermore, the iteration of the Gamebryo engine used for Oblivion was just as 'heavily' modified from the one used in Morrowind yet it only took them 2 weeks to release it. So there's precedent that counters your argument as well.

So, in your mind game developers are machines and it takes a minute to fix it?

Most of your claims now disposed of that leaves us with your conjecture that they 'spend quite some time to get Steamworkshop..'. Do you have anything to back that claim? Reasons why it should take them 2 months to do it? That's generously allowing the assumption that they had not worked on it prior to release at all.

In essence, I speak how they work. Do you honestly think they go "ha! Let's keep the CK out for 2 months just for the heck of it!"? Really?

They are god damn busy. They worked their asses off for a whole month, overtime each day, to release Skyrim. They then got Thanksigivng, and THEN had MAJOR patches to get out. THEN they had MORE patches and US nagging them for the CK. THEN they need to get the steam workshop into this, which needs work too. All this WHILE working on fixing and identifying bugs.

My friend, it seem you do not know how the game industry work, or how hard they worked to get the releae date thei foolishly set beforehand. They barely had a breather since 11.11.11. And you think they just sit there with the CK "lol"ing at you?

My "assumptions" are based on how the industry works and how things are done. They are based off how codes are not as easy to fix as you think, and every thing got another reaction. I talk about people not being home for a month, not thinking about a damn toolkit, and now they try to get it up and going. My claims got background, your arguments got nothing but assumptions.