Vampire Overhaul

vannixiii

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they're really intresting ideas. I had many of them too (the garlic and silver thing or the wall walk) but since they need a great work to be implemented, I discarded them. For example, garlic weakness it's not a real handicap because nobody forces you to eat garlic lol. The same is for silver swords. Actually almost nobody uses them ingame so, there's no way it can really be a problem for the player. You can add a Vampire Hunters faction for that but it wouldn't really overhaul the gaming experience significantly. Anyway, they're nice easter eggs :) For the wall walk, I thought it would be rather problematic because it would need a third person animation for that. I had an idea about a mist form to pass through locked doors and grids in my mod but I discarded it because it would mess with many aspects of the game. The Speechcraft increase it's a really good idea, same as for the Lightsap and the non-aggressive animals (I think that they should be scared by your presence instead of just indifferent). Anyway, vampires don't suck blood from dead bodies. It is almost deadly for them so, nothing to do with this :| Also, the water-repellence could be really problematic because if someone sips into a lake, he may become unable to get out of it without fast traveling somewhere. Your ideas are full of nice easter eggs but I guess they would change too significantly the gaming experience. Moreover, they need a lot of work to be put into the game and such new mechanics would probably burden it. We have to keep everything almost nice and smooth. Anyway, great work and great imagination :)

they're really intresting ideas. I had many of them too (the garlic and silver thing or the wall walk) but since they need a great work to be implemented, I discarded them. For example, garlic weakness it's not a real handicap because nobody forces you to eat garlic lol. The same is for silver swords. Actually almost nobody uses them ingame so, there's no way it can really be a problem for the player. You can add a Vampire Hunters faction for that but it wouldn't really overhaul the gaming experience significantly. Anyway, they're nice easter eggs :) For the wall walk, I thought it would be rather problematic because it would need a third person animation for that. I had an idea about a mist form to pass through locked doors and grids in my mod but I discarded it because it would mess with many aspects of the game. The Speechcraft increase it's a really good idea, same as for the Lightsap and the non-aggressive animals (I think that they should be scared by your presence instead of just indifferent). Anyway, vampires don't suck blood from dead bodies. It is almost deadly for them so, nothing to do with this :| Also, the water-repellence could be really problematic because if someone sips into a lake, he may become unable to get out of it without fast traveling somewhere. Your ideas are full of nice easter eggs but I guess they would change too significantly the gaming experience. Moreover, they need a lot of work to be put into the game and such new mechanics would probably burden it. We have to keep everything almost nice and smooth. Anyway, great work and great imagination :)

We need to consolidate these threads! :)

Updated and integrated with some of Jakisthe ideas. Now vampirism has 6 levels

Vannixiii,

On your idea for Lure of Slumber. I actually think that might not be too hard to implement. The spell is targetted, you just need to mod in a sleepable "mat" similar to what you find at camps that has a fully transparent texture. When you cast the spell a script runs that places the transparent mat at the target and then the AI actor is forced to seek sleep. They'll immediately lay down on the mat placed at them, and then have the mat removed from the world space.

-MM

Well, the garlic was more of an easter egg, and perhaps the hunters with the bounty in stage 5 would be using garlic infused silver blades...but I swear I've seen some kind of enemies using silver. The Silver Hand? Can't remember. The other bits, well:

-Wall walking: I know, that's probably the roughest one. I was planning on having a forced first person perspective, but I don't know if that's possible. Still, quite a bit of the lore mentions their ability to wall walk, so I figured...why not? :P

-Phasewalk: Not as powerful as I made it out to be. You can only walk through walls if you know there's an accessible map on the other side, so even if it looks like there might be (ie, behind some of the partially-wrecked-but-still-impassable wall in dwemer ruins) then you wouldn't be able to get to it because it doesn't actually exist. Same with the "you need a key" or "this door is barred" rooms/areas; they'd be completely impassible. It would mostly be a way through thin walls and locked yet pickable doors. If you run out of phase while still in a solid...instant death.

-Water repelling was another one that I hemmed and hawed about, especially the bit on how they'd utilize their "grave dirt" to cross it. I was thinking that it's not that you could fall in....it's that there would simply be a completely impassable wall covering the river and you can't get over it unless you're flying. Thus, you couldn't fall into it...you simply can't get close to it in any way.

Yeah, a LOT of them are easter eggs. But that's the fun! Everyone knows some kind of vampire...so seeing, say, the "extreme counting ability" will make someone enjoy it more! All the better.

Yeah, you're right :) I took some of your ideas (just those which not require much time to be realized) and I integrated them with my mod. Take a look :)

So, using the latest version of the sourcecode for SkyEdit found on UESP, I compiled it and tested some spell editing and it seems to work better on conditions than the previous versions. That, or running it under a debugger minimizes a timing condition. Dunno, c++ forms debugging is not my forte. Regardless... I have lightlevel in my conditions now, which is pretty cool. In direct sunlight you take your penalties. In the shade of a tree, or house the penalties are removed. Better yet, when it's overcast and/or rainy outside you can go outside and be protected from the sun. Now to figure out if there's a way to make it variable based on light intensity. That might have to wait for the CK.

-MM